U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 AM

197 posts, read 180,898 times

Advertisements

I fly Space A when I can. Last month I got a ticket from Italy(Aviano) to Baltimore for $35 one way. I had 3 seats all to myself which was a bonus.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post
I fly Space A when I can. Last month I got a ticket from Italy(Aviano) to Baltimore for $35 one way. I had 3 seats all to myself which was a bonus.

apples to oranges

I doubt there are lots of Space A seats available when flying in the US on a weekend

Old 05-16-2014, 10:47 AM

14,656 posts, read 9,705,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You are right in that there are no secret web sites. Whatever you find in Matrix or Kayak you can find on Expedia. Advance purchase doesn't seem to help much either. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy late.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:50 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If they couldn't stand seperation, they weren't successful... Couples who want to make it work will find a way.
This is a topic worthy of its own thread, IMO…

I see it both ways. If a couple is in their teens or even their early twenties then a circumstantial separation of significant distance may be the best thing for them so that they can get their heads out of the clouds (and each other) and focus on their own lives for a bit. If they're still madly in love after that, then that's exceptional and may be a good indicator that they really are a good fit.

On the other hand, if a couple has been together for some time, perhaps even married already, and one of them decides that career, rock music, other family/friends, or whatever is a higher priority than their significant other then that may be a good indicator that they are NOT a good fit and that at least of them needs to grow up a bit. In that case a forced separation may also be the best thing.

So what I'm saying is, if there are other things in your life that need to take priority, then just cut the cord already and don't try to keep things alive by spending 100's of $$ on travel each month. Otherwise forget about the material stuff and stay close to the one you love for better or worse.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:53 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,533,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post
Is that something you can negotiate on a somewhat regular basis, or like a once in a lifetime luck shot that you'd only get when you weren't expecting it?

Old 05-16-2014, 11:13 AM

37,964 posts, read 55,724,604 times
I wonder if meeting "halfway" would work for you.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 AM

197 posts, read 180,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Is that something you can negotiate on a somewhat regular basis, or like a once in a lifetime luck shot that you'd only get when you weren't expecting it?
Space A travel is totally random. The US government contracts planes to fly missions on behalf of the government. If you are active duty military or retired military, then you can use the benefit to find unfilled seats.

I've done this dozens of times over the years. 3 years ago I got stuck at the airport in Norfolk when there were not enough seats for everyone seeking to fly out. If you do your research you can improve your odds of getting a seat. I did 2 so far this year. Total cost for 2 overseas flights is less than $100. Well worth the uncertainty for me.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
This is a topic worthy of its own thread, IMO…

I see it both ways. If a couple is in their teens or even their early twenties then a circumstantial separation of significant distance may be the best thing for them so that they can get their heads out of the clouds (and each other) and focus on their own lives for a bit. If they're still madly in love after that, then that's exceptional and may be a good indicator that they really are a good fit.

On the other hand, if a couple has been together for some time, perhaps even married already, and one of them decides that career, rock music, other family/friends, or whatever is a higher priority than their significant other then that may be a good indicator that they are NOT a good fit and that at least of them needs to grow up a bit. In that case a forced separation may also be the best thing.

So what I'm saying is, if there are other things in your life that need to take priority, then just cut the cord already and don't try to keep things alive by spending 100's of $$ on travel each month. Otherwise forget about the material stuff and stay close to the one you love for better or worse.
We have both always had jobs that required significant travel. We met as a result of these jobs. We knew going into it that we would probably spend well over half of our lives apart. We decided that the relationship was worth it. And neither of us would ever be selfish enough to tell the other not to pursue the career that they enjoy in order to occupy the same space more often.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:07 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I wonder if meeting "halfway" would work for you.
Likely to MORE expensive, especially when hotels, cars, gasoline, restaurant meals, etc. are considered.

And remember, flight cost has very little to do with distance. It's all supply, demand and # of competitors.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,728,813 times
[quote=monello;34828840]Space A travel is totally random. The US government contracts planes to fly missions on behalf of the government. If you are active duty military or retired military, then you can use the benefit to find unfilled seats.

I've done this dozens of times over the years. 3 years ago I got stuck at the airport in Norfolk when there were not enough seats for everyone seeking to fly out. If you do your research you can improve your odds of getting a seat. I did 2 so far this year. Total cost for 2 overseas flights is less than $100. Well worth the uncertainty for me.[/quote

----------"if you are active duty military or retired military, then you can use the benefit '...............

I may have missed it, but I saw nowhere the OP mention either of them were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or