U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:12 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,371,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Holy crap--you could buy a first class plane ticket and be there in six hours for that price!
Its about a 1 week on the train , pays for the meals , I get a shower , personal attendant...etc. I choose the train so I can see America , a Plane is for skipping over this beautiful country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its about a 1 week on the train , pays for the meals , I get a shower , personal attendant...etc. I choose the train so I can see America , a Plane is for skipping over this beautiful country.
I've driven cross country more than a dozen times. I have no need or desire to effectively do it again.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:00 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,766,968 times
I wanted to try the train just becaue I've never done it for a long trip. I take commuter trains every single day, but I thought the train could be sort of fun and more relaxing than a flight. O'hare airport makes me want to scream just about every time I go there. But, since I don't have a medical condition or fear of flying, I'll probably fly to Boston.

Unfortunately, I'm not a senior, so their senior discount won't do anything for me for another 25 years. Even so 15% isn't enough of a discount for me to go with Amtrak anyway. If the cost were on par with flying I'd do it though.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,730,713 times
Quote:
However, you don't see much when the train is going thru ....."this beautiful country"......at night.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:13 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,371,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
However, you don't see much when the train is going thru ....."this beautiful country"......at night.
Night is for abit of wine w/ some cheese , web browsing , and sleeping...

Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 PM

9,190 posts, read 9,269,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I am planning a trip to Boston (from Chicago) and I was considering taking Amtrak since I'm just sick of flying and I have plenty of vacation time to allow for the longer travel time. But, then I checked the ticket prices and, holy cow... to get a "room" with a bed is $550+ each way! The trip takes 22 hours, so would have to sleep somehow.

Who in their right mind would pay that much when you can fly for about half of the one-way cost and be there in 4 hours? Honestly, it's no wonder Amtrak doesn't make any money...

I would still like to do it if there's a way to get a substantial discount, but I haven't found anything yet.
Renting a car is the way to go. A one week rental on an economy car is only going to be about $250. That's on the high side. You might get it closer to $200 if you use travelocity, expedia, or priceline. An economy car will get about 25 to 30 miles to a gallon of gas and the cost of few will be under $100. Even with toll roads and one overnight stay in a motel that's far cheaper than paying $1100.

If you must take Amtrak, don't pay for a sleeping car. They cost roughly what it would cost to stay in a high class hotel in a large city like New York or Boston. Its just not worth it for one night's sleep. Stretch out on the seat with a pillow and blankets.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-16-2014 at 07:57 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,369,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
the Adirondack that goes up to Montreal from NYC has great scenery
Took the $89 round-trip special recently. Very slow at >10hours each way. Scenery wasn't that great. Did like the legroom, but the heat was set too high both ways.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,386,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
On the several routes I've taken, I've been impressed by their scheduling. They seem to hit the "not so scenic" parts of the country during the night time.

Certainly, train travel isn't for everyone. If your objective is just to reach your destination as quickly and cheaply as possible, the best choice is always going to be an airplane.

However, if you want a relaxing journey, have the time to take it, and want to see more of the country than what can be seen from a freeway or 30,000 feet, a train is a fantastic option.

Personally, I never want to see the inside of an airplane again.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,730,713 times
Quote:
Night is for abit of wine w/ some cheese , web browsing , and sleeping...

I can do that at home

Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,535,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I checked the ticket prices and, holy cow... to get a "room" with a bed is $550+ each way! The trip takes 22 hours, so would have to sleep somehow. Who in their right mind would pay that much when you can fly for about half of the one-way cost and be there in 4 hours? Honestly, it's no wonder Amtrak doesn't make any money...
I've been asking myself the same question for years. I understand the love of trains, but I'd think even the most die hard train enthusiast would be over the novelty of a choo choo ride after the first few hours. Certainly in the middle of the night trying to sleep in a seat, you'd think almost anyone would be like, "OK I'm over this whole train thing right now, next time I'll fly". The plane is less money, takes a fraction of the time and has a lot more scheduling options. Driving costs about the same (depending on the distance) but offers a lot more flexibility & freedom and the option to stop at will, much less the fact that it doesn't go up per person. So all I can think is that it's people who are SO afraid or irritated to fly and they have the money for a sleeper which would actually be kind of nice, just not for that price. Or maybe some people think, 'Train, good, a nice alternative to flying!' and then try it once but probably never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
if you want a relaxing journey, have the time to take it, and want to see more of the country than what can be seen from a freeway or 30,000 feet...
Why do you think that trains are taking some especially routes that are so much more beautiful than the freeways? Also there are side roads and scenic routes which you can't take from your train seat. If I want to get there I fly, if I want to meander, I drive. Trains are for throwing rocks at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or