U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2014, 12:07 PM
 
12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Reputation: 19082

Advertisements

Yeah! Go to South Africa and do it yourself. You don't need these elaborate escorted and chaffuered safaris. I am still amazed people don't know this yet.

Go to South Africa, get a rental car, drive into Kruger National Park, or one of the other national parks, marvel in awe at the wildlife, and you WILL have a good chance of seeing the big 5. They have several inexpensive lodges within the park or nearby towns. The South Africa national parks are very user friendly, excellent infrastructure, ranger lead tours, not much different from visiting Yosemite or Yellowstone (except that you have to stay in your car or you risk being eaten). This will be maybe $100 per day per person. This is what the South African's do - they don't need someone to turndown there bed in the evening on some fully serviced Safari.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah! Go to South Africa and do it yourself. You don't need these elaborate escorted and chaffuered safaris. I am still amazed people don't know this yet.

Go to South Africa, get a rental car, drive into Kruger National Park, or one of the other national parks, marvel in awe at the wildlife, and you WILL have a good chance of seeing the big 5. They have several inexpensive lodges within the park or nearby towns. The South Africa national parks are very user friendly, excellent infrastructure, ranger lead tours, not much different from visiting Yosemite or Yellowstone (except that you have to stay in your car or you risk being eaten). This will be maybe $100 per day per person. This is what the South African's do - they don't need someone to turndown there bed in the evening on some fully serviced Safari.
What they do or don't "need" is not a care of mine. When I vacation I like to do so with all conveniences, and at least with hints of luxury. Renting a crappy car and driving alone into the bush and then sleeping in some crummy motel is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 AM
 
12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Reputation: 19082
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What they do or don't "need" is not a care of mine. When I vacation I like to do so with all conveniences, and at least with hints of luxury. Renting a crappy car and driving alone into the bush and then sleeping in some crummy motel is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.
Yeah but it was the OP asking for budget options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,565 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Reputation: 10270
Fly to Jo'berg, rent a car, drive to Pilanesberg, stay in Sun City, either drive yourself or take a tour.

Pilanesberg National Park & Game Reserve

Or, do the same except drive to Kruger and pay a bit more.

Kruger National Park - SANParks - Official Website

I drove to Pilanesberg on a Saturday while in Johannesburg for work, and in the space of half a day managed to see

zebra, wildabeest, warthog, impala, kudu, some big ass tortoise, elephant, giraffe, springbok, rhino, hippo and some amazing scenery.

Got shut out on big cats, but I didn't exactly have the right car for the job to hit the trails.

Total cost, about $150 for the car, and $8.50 to get into the park, plus fuel.

Anyone did African Safari travel on the cheap?-giraffeses.jpg
Anyone did African Safari travel on the cheap?-heffalump.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,059 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Reputation: 24136
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What they do or don't "need" is not a care of mine. When I vacation I like to do so with all conveniences, and at least with hints of luxury. Renting a crappy car and driving alone into the bush and then sleeping in some crummy motel is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah but it was the OP asking for budget options.
As frequent readers of this forum know, that is decidedly not annerk's style of travel. I suspect the word "budget" is a profanity in her world.

To her defense, for those looking for information about luxury travel and (especially) luxury cruising, she knows her stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:19 AM
 
12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Reputation: 19082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As frequent readers of this forum know, that is decidedly not annerk's style of travel. I suspect the word "budget" is a profanity in her world.

To her defense, for those looking for information about luxury travel and (especially) luxury cruising, she knows her stuff.
Then she is in the wrong thread.
It's a pity because, comfort is fine, I've been on my share of luxury cruises and escorted tours, but it seperates one from the soul of travel, it separates one from the people and culture...unless your intent is to lie on a beach for a week.
Dealing with the grime and discomfort, the uncertainties and confusion, the uncomfortable smells, the heat or cold, it brings one closer to the travel experience and is more rewarding in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 AM
 
35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
Reputation: 32409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Then she is in the wrong thread.
It's a pity because, comfort is fine, I've been on my share of luxury cruises and escorted tours, but it seperates one from the soul of travel, it separates one from the people and culture...unless your intent is to lie on a beach for a week.
Dealing with the grime and discomfort, the uncertainties and confusion, the uncomfortable smells, the heat or cold, it brings one closer to the travel experience and is more rewarding in the end.

In full agreement!

There are some places I like a tour mainly due to the access to quality guides. The Amazon was one such place, but in general I'll do it myself and on the fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,059 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Reputation: 24136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Then she is in the wrong thread.
It's a pity because, comfort is fine, I've been on my share of luxury cruises and escorted tours, but it seperates one from the soul of travel, it separates one from the people and culture...unless your intent is to lie on a beach for a week.
Dealing with the grime and discomfort, the uncertainties and confusion, the uncomfortable smells, the heat or cold, it brings one closer to the travel experience and is more rewarding in the end.
I generally agree with you, but I'd prefer not to deal with the extreme ends of the cold or heat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Colorado
2,483 posts, read 3,533,793 times
Reputation: 2674
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What they do or don't "need" is not a care of mine. When I vacation I like to do so with all conveniences, and at least with hints of luxury. Renting a crappy car and driving alone into the bush and then sleeping in some crummy motel is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.
Why do you assume that all rental cars in South Africa are "crappy" and all their motels are "crummy"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,059 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Reputation: 24136
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Why do you assume that all rental cars in South Africa are "crappy" and all their motels are "crummy"?
That's not what she is assuming. The word "budget" = crappy and crummy in Annerk's world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top