U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:14 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
$40??? Are you asking about hotels in the United States? I live in Houston, only a couple of hours away from you. TX is one of the cheapest places to live in the US, and even hotels that cheap here are few and far between. If I could get one that cheap, it's one where I wouldn't want to touch anything. Heck, I wouldn't want to even BREATHE in the place. I generally look for places around $80-90. I'm a big fan of B&Bs, and always look at customer reviews. I definitely want to stay below $150, no matter where I go. If the hotel costs more than that, I wouldn't want to travel to that city at all. It makes little sense for me to go into big time debt and have financial stress on what should be a fun trip.

There are a quite a few properties with a 3-3.5* rating on Trip Advisor in the Houston Metro area that can be had for under $50 most nights using Priceline or Hotwire. Most of them are properties like LaQuintas, Super 8s, Comfort Inns, Marriott Courtyards and the like. For the size of the area, Houston is generally one of the cheapest places to find hotel rooms.

And most of those rooms will blow away most of the B&Bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,421,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Your opinion. The idea of staying in a private home with who knows what type of cleanliness standards, sharing a bathroom, and ahving little to no privacy doesn't appeal. Renting a flat is one thing, sleeping on someone's sofa or on an air mattress in a curtained off section of the living room=no bueno. I'd rather stay home.
I am a couchsurfer. Mostly I host people. My guests get a full master bedroom (I have 2) with a master bath. The room is huge. Bigger than most hotel rooms. I'm not unique, you just have to read the profiles and look at the pictures of what they are offering. You also have to very carefully read all reviews. I turn down more people than I host.

Some of my guests want to be left along and do their own thing. That's totally fine. Some want a bit more interration. I have gone to theme parks, state parks. Kennedy Space Center etc. with guests. I have been taken to dinner by guests many times. I've had a 4 course French meal cooked for me. An italian one by another. I had crepes made for me by guests from Brittany. I had a professional photographer from Russia leave me a beautiful photograph which I have framed.

On the flip side I have had many American style BBQ's with guests as they often seem to want that. I became very close to some guests from Paris and I stayed with them for free in Paris 2 years ago and will visit them again this year. It's one lifelong friendship made from couchsurfing.

I haven't had any bad experiences yet, but I'm sure they happen. On the flip side, I have had the rare bad experience at 4 star hotels.
It is certainly sometimes done to travel on the cheap. Lots of times though, people want to really experience the culture and couchsurfing grants them that. Most of the people I host are youngish professionals. My Parisian friends stayed at an expensive hotel in Key West and then couchsurfed with us. He and his wife wanted to experience and average American family. He is a succesful journalist for France 24. Another guest from India even sent be a baby announcment for his daughter. A couple from Columbia have also become close friends.

My point is ,It can be a very different experience from the one you describe. I would never end up(nor put) a guest in the corner of the room or an air mattress. Some people do this, yes, but you can make sure that is not what you are getting into beforehand.
I do understand that it's not for everyone. I have enjoyed and been enriched by meeting people from all over the world.

I'm heading to Europe in September for a month and I have a nice mix from mid-level to a couple of nicer hotels. I'm going to Rome and Florence, among other places and I'm hoping for <200 a night

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 05-22-2014 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 04:45 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are a quite a few properties with a 3-3.5* rating on Trip Advisor in the Houston Metro area that can be had for under $50 most nights using Priceline or Hotwire. Most of them are properties like LaQuintas, Super 8s, Comfort Inns, Marriott Courtyards and the like. For the size of the area, Houston is generally one of the cheapest places to find hotel rooms.

And most of those rooms will blow away most of the B&Bs.
The only of those you mention that gets a 3-3.5 star/diamond rating is the Courtyard. The others are 1-2.5 rated properties.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:40 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The only of those you mention that gets a 3-3.5 star/diamond rating is the Courtyard. The others are 1-2.5 rated properties.

I am talking about the ratings as based on guest reviews.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am talking about the ratings as based on guest reviews.
Which in many cases should be taken with a grain of salt. Some people equate "cheap" with "best."

Given user ratings, the Drury Inn in Orlando is the #1 property in the area. Uh, not.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,982 times
Well you asked for the median. Not sure if the numbers people here posted represent that, but rather what they like to p ay.

It varies such a lot depending on location, and the purpose of the trip. Lovely resort hotels for $300; nice bare bones interstate hotels for $50 when going from A to B; downtown hotels in great cities for $150-200; cute b&b's in the country for $75; $75 small hotels with character in European cities.

So, the median of my hotel stays, over the last few years, IS I would say is about $100.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,794 posts, read 54,455,776 times
Where do you find hotels with rooms that cheap? We have done several road trips through Washington, Oregon and California the last few months and never paid less than $95. About the same (US funds) up in Canada. Super 8 is even more like $80, though they are a bit below our standards. We stayed at La Quinta in CA and it was $110. I stayed a week at the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas for $59/night but they add a $20 resort fee and it was a business conference special. We did stay at a great B & B in Sequim, WA and paid $195 but well worth it, lots of fun sleeping in a caboose and great food in the dining car. Median for us is probably $100.

Redcaboose Getaway a Sequim Bed and Breakfast Olympic Peninsula

Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,092,340 times
Domestic US: Hampton Inn to Hilton

International: No less than 4 star.

Strange? I don't think so. In the US, I am generally looking for a clean place to sleep for a sort duration, so the above brands are more than sufficient. Abroad, I am on holiday and looking for comfort and service quality. $200/night can buy some very memorable, top quality service in SE Asia and even in Hong Kong if one shops around and is flexible. In the US (if I'm lucky), it gets me a decent room and a great many staff with their hands out for tips. Of course, growing up in New York gave me a very cynical attitude to American "service" culture.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,337,656 times
Interstate: Sleep in car at truck stops, or pretty much anything. I've never run into bedbugs in the U.S., or anything else really creepy, other than a CRT TV.

Domestic, city: I go on Hotwire.com. I just stayed two nights at the Doubletree Union Station St. Louis for about $200 final (valet parking included), best hotel stay ever! I even joined the HHonors Rewards Club, if for no other reason than to feel important (haha). I try to keep it below $60-$70 / night. I've also used Airbnb.com, and am planning on couchsurfing at least once.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Well you asked for the median. Not sure if the numbers people here posted represent that, but rather what they like to p ay.

It varies such a lot depending on location, and the purpose of the trip. Lovely resort hotels for $300; nice bare bones interstate hotels for $50 when going from A to B; downtown hotels in great cities for $150-200; cute b&b's in the country for $75; $75 small hotels with character in European cities.

So, the median of my hotel stays, over the last few years, IS I would say is about $100.
I posted median. The middle line where half are higher and half are lower. I did draw a distinction between a place that I would stay for sleep and a shower and then be back on the road again in the morning, versus a much higher amount I typically pay for a resort or city hotel where I will be staying for a few days or longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or