U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 PM

13,169 posts, read 20,787,609 times

Advertisements

We had been living in FL for 3 years when we were notified another transfer was coming, so we asked the kids what they most wanted to do while we still lived near the coast. They all wanted to go deep sea fishing, so my husband reserved a boat and took them. I opted out, fortunately. It was a smallish boat, and two of the three kids spent most of the day seasick. The pictures are a lasting reminder of how miserable they were. It didn't turn them off fishing though, they went on another, larger, charter a couple of years later and didn't get sick.

The only time I ever had a bad bout of motion sickness myself was flying while pregnant. And again, on the Mission to Mars ride at Disney. I had to lie down on a bench after that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 PM

17,270 posts, read 10,194,544 times
Thanks for the stories, I felt queasy reading some of them but still have a fascination with this subject.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:34 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,748,248 times
I only have motion sickness in extreme cases. One is an 11 mile non-stop winding road between TN and NC. Didn't get sick but felt very queasy the whole time. Felt queasy on a ferry across the Irish Sea during the part that was rough. Felt queasy and dizzy during a very rough ferry crossing between Amsterdam and Newcastle.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:48 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,132 times
Only time I've had motion sickness was when I took the Chi-Cheemaun ferry from South Bay on Manitoulin Island, ON to Tobermory, ON. It takes a few hours and it made me feel really uneasy sloshing around the water like that. It's a very large boat but that didn't seem to help much.

Beautiful area by the way, Tobermory:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jense...y/IMG_8623.JPG

Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
I have suffered severe motion sickness on two cruises. One was in the Bahamas in 70 mph winds--although I'll admit I had a good amount to drink that day and I'm sure that didn't help.

The other was in French Polynesia, the ship was keeling bow to stern horribly--it was like one of those swinging rides at an amusement park. I had little or no alcohol that day, so it was entirely motion sickness. When I sat down to dinner I was queasy but trying to soldier on. Then they put tuna tartare in front of me, one look and I was up and headed to my cabin. I barely made it in time. I took some sea sickness tablets and returned to the dining room. Took a small bite of my filet and left for good.

About half of the passengers including several of our friends had the same issue. In fact two large tables ended up combining into a single table as one by one about half of us left the dining room for good.

I've been queasy here and there on a few bumpy plane rides and other cruises, but nothing a little ginger couldn't fix. I also get motion sickness on various carnival rides (don't ride them anymore--who wants to feel sick?) and sometimes in the back seat of a car.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Once on the boat from St. Pierre et Miquelon, I started to feel seasick, but the boat trip is so short, only a few hours, it wasn't long enough to make me really miserable. I also once had to book a Twin Beech plane for a photo shoot, and it made some high-G turns, that made my stomach pretty queasy, but the feeling went away as soon as the shooting was over and the plane leveled off again. Other than that, I've never gotten sick from any kind of transportation.

I once took the ferry across the Bay of Fundy to Nova Scotia, the ship was pitching so severely, you could hear the engines rev up when the screw came out of the water, but that didn't bother me at all.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:13 PM

7,735 posts, read 9,027,441 times
As long as I don't try to read in a car I'm fine. Being on the ocean doesn't bother me and I can read in a plane without any problems. The only thing that reliably makes me have motion sickness is spinning rides.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 AM

34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
The 70ft glass bottom reef excursion boat out of Key Largo Florida ,,never again.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:46 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,656,328 times
When I was in high school I had a biology teacher who was a football coach and gave automatic A's to all the jocks. And he made life miserable for all the guys who enjoyed Drama and Art class. This offended my sense of fairness.

Unfortunately for him, he suffered from motion sickness and the biology class took a "Floating Lab" trip every year. Our's came on the day an El Nino storm hit with such ferocity we had no business being out on the Pacific Ocean. Did I mention I don't get sea sick? Ever.

Turned out all the jocks also suffered from motion sickness. So, while they were all hanging over the side of the boat with their coach (did I mention he was a male chauvinist pig who made the women wash up all the beakers?) barfing their guts out, I was enjoying myself talking with the crew and doing the experiments.

Then came lunch time. I had a sack lunch with a peanut butter sandwich.

So I found Idiot Instructor huddled on the deck, looking positively green and reeking of vomit, sat down next to him, opened up the bag with great flourish, took out the sandwich and said, "Want a bite?"

I was cheered by two of my classmates, who would later join the Gay Men's Chorus, when I walked into class the next day.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:07 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,291 times
Over the past year, I had three incidents of motion sickness.
While on a cruise, I always wear a scopolamine patch, and rarely have problems while cruising.
That being said, last November, at Busch Gardens, my brother and I rode MONTU

which has made me mildly nauseous over the past year. For whatever reason, my next ride was to the mens room where I proceeded to Puke my guts out like in a monty python cartoon

And certain people laughed and made jokes about my age.

The second was in January this year at Epcot, I went on Mission Space, for the last time ever.

Third was early May, STAR WARS days at Epcot, my final voyage on STAR TOURS ever.

Oddly enough, I have no problem at all with non-simulator coasters, with the exception of Montu. I love Shierkra and Cheetah Hunt. And SPace Mountain and Thunder Mt Railroad are always ok too. But no simulated rides, even tame ones like Star Tours are off the table now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel