U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,430,715 times

Advertisements

I book my tickets online with usually travelocity, I just don't feel like the hassle of constantly shopping around & all that. I have checked out the actual airline sites & I've never noticed a savings, it's always cheaper on the other sites from what I've noticed. I do do some research but I figure the difference won't be that great. I just booked a trip to Nicaragua & about a week later, the ticket price went up by about $130. Glad I booked it when I did because you just never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 PM

7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times
The downside of going the online travel agency route instead of booking with the airline directly is that is something goes wrong with your scheduled flight, the airline may tell you that you need to contact your travel agent for rebooking instead of the airline getting you the next possible flight to your destination.

Had a mechanical delay mess up our flight over to Scotland last week, and it took like a fifth level customer service representative from Delta to get us there within 22 hours of original schedule because any similar flights were 100% booked, and the very nice CSR rep had to do some sort of massive overriding of the system involving changing our fare class (deep discount coach to unrestricted coach) and routing us through two alternate cities and on one partner airline that had space. A typical online travel agent couldn't have done the same system overrides, and we would have likely lost more vacation days.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:54 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,886 times
There actually have been speculations about whether or not airlines and travel sites are using cookies to bump airfares higher as you check out or return to monitor ticket prices periodically. I'm not sure if it's proven, but it wouldn't surprise me.

For example:
The low airfare that vanishes in a click - Elliott

I often find the lowest fares on travel sites that look over several airline's fares but it's important to keep track of the fact that not all airlines will be covered in their program, as others have pointed out. Using a combination of several travel booking sites and snooping around airline websites and beyond is the best way to find the best price.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:37 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,235,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How do you do that with a longer trip where you're flying 2-3 airlines each way?
It's typically all codeshare if there is any change of airline. I've noticed that the cheapest fares are typically found directly through the website of the airline and you typically get a little better fare class so you can get a better seat selection.

When I fly out of the country, I will book a flight at a main hub. For example, if I'm going to South America I'll buy a ticket from MIA to where I'm going and then I'll buy another ticket to get myself to Miami.

If I were to go to Europe, I'd search EWR or JFK or the other main airports.

I was one time booking a flight to Mumbai with Korean Air. Got a great deal and accidentally pressed refresh -- the price went up 400 dollars. I did not fly with Korean Air, I was pretty upset because I had a weekend in Seoul planned out and I heard nothing but great things about them. Instead I had to deal with Air India.. which was a surprisingly nice flight with the absolute worst phone customer service I have ever delt with. Possibly worse than AA.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Why wouldn't they? Honor?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:57 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,177,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
When I fly out of the country, I will book a flight at a main hub. For example, if I'm going to South America I'll buy a ticket from MIA to where I'm going and then I'll buy another ticket to get myself to Miami.

If the tickets aren't linked, does that affect checked baggage? I always thought it would... like I'd need to claim my baggage and re-check.

I know in some international legs that is already required for customs, but not for all and it is something I try to avoid.

But, back to the topic, I'm fully convinced that cookies affect your flights. I wouldn't be surprised if IPs do as well. I've done things where I've gone to a site and searched for a flight... and when I did it on a laptop but go to a second site, search, then click on the banner of one of the other sites that appear in the margin (a suggested link thing) I would get different and cheaper fares than from when I went direct.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,235,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If the tickets aren't linked, does that affect checked baggage? I always thought it would... like I'd need to claim my baggage and re-check.

I know in some international legs that is already required for customs, but not for all and it is something I try to avoid.

But, back to the topic, I'm fully convinced that cookies affect your flights. I wouldn't be surprised if IPs do as well. I've done things where I've gone to a site and searched for a flight... and when I did it on a laptop but go to a second site, search, then click on the banner of one of the other sites that appear in the margin (a suggested link thing) I would get different and cheaper fares than from when I went direct.

For your first question, yes it would affect your checked baggage. If you buy your ticket separately, you will have to get your luggage from the bag claim and then re-check it in with the new airline. Most of the times when I fly out of the country I do it how I explained, every time I get to the main airport in the US I have to claim my bags and re check in.

However, say you were to buy a ticket on delta.com but then you notice while flying though Europe you see it says KLM, you typically would not have to change airlines since it is a code share.

Something like orbitz where they have multiple airlines on a single ticket, I'm not 100% sure.. but I think it would be case by case and sometimes yes sometimes no.

I think it could be possible for cookies to affect fares, I sure as heck wouldn't put it past these sites. However, I'm not sure it would always work in their favor. If your price goes up on their site, but not another one.. they're going to lose your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel