U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 AM

130 posts, read 435,371 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are any websites out there that would be good for booking a last minute vacation with no particular destination in mind. For example, one where I can go plug in my local airport and have the website give me a list of cheap airfare rates/hotels/etc. that are available. I wouldn't mind taking a trip or two this summer but have no particular destination that I would like to go to. Looking to book it last minute so it's cheaper and because of a flexible schedule. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:06 PM

15,093 posts, read 19,047,678 times
airfarewatchdog.com will send you alerts of cheap airfares from your selected home airports. I love that site for airfares.

However, last minute airfares are nearly always the most expensive airfares. It's the advance purchase, no refund airfares booked months in advance that are cheap.

Hotels at the last minute - probably Priceline bickering, but the hotel direct website may be the easiest and, in the long run, cheapest source of hotel rooms.

Rental cars - Costco. Period. I've rarely been able to beat their prices on a rental car.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:30 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
The airfare is the hard part, and you can cobble together a mix of getting on the last minute deals e-mail lists from the discount carriers like Frontier, Jet Blue and Southwest, and then do fare searches from Skyscanner:

Cheap Flights - Compare Airline Tickets with Skyscanner.com

where you use 'Everywhere' or 'Anywhere' as your destination. I think a few of the other airfare web search sites have similar 'Anywhere' options as well.

Hotel is easier- try an app like 'Hotel Tonight' or go the Priceline/Hotwire route, and same for the car if needed.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,442,686 times
Thanks jk, I just signed up to get alerts from that site you mentioned.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:36 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,997,011 times
Last minute deals on Expedia (and other sites)

Last Minute Deals | Expedia.com

Old 05-20-2014, 11:28 PM

15,093 posts, read 19,047,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Thanks jk, I just signed up to get alerts from that site you mentioned.
One more GREAT thing about airfarewatchdog.com is that they include Southwest in their searches. They actually have humans looking at these fares, not just search engines. Yes, actual human beings who include Southwest Airlines.

The blog is pretty informative, too.

Hey - let us know where you end up going!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,257,968 times
Any site at any time can have the best deal. There is no single best website to look at when you are trying to find a nice deal to go somewhere. Your best bet is to search every site out there.

For all you know, the best deal out there might be from the airline directly.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Here is a site where you can just fill in your departure airport and date, and wait a minute or two for the map to fill in with fares.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...014-05-25;mc=m

Today, fly RT from New York to Cairo for $730 -- looks pretty tantalizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or