U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,948,560 times

Advertisements

If so any tips? Summer versus Fall? How long did you space it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 09:12 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,465,024 times
I've tried to, but there are always closures for construction. When they do road work, they just shut the whole thing from one exit to the next for the whole season, you have to keep finding your way around detours, and guessing where you can get back on. They also pretty strictly enforce the 45-mph speed limit, so it is not a very quick route. I got kicked off it once, driving a rental van that was outfitted for camping, they told me a van is classified as a commercial vehicle if it is from a rental agency (but not rental cars, apparently. I think the guy who stopped me was just being a dick.)

The Blue Ridge Parkway is even worse -- ditto the above, but also, when it snows, they don't plow it, they just close it until it melts. This is not a criticism, the roads are not intended nor designed to be through highways, but only park access roads.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:30 PM

14,289 posts, read 24,073,069 times
It is NOT a particularly difficult trip as you are driving between Nashville, TN and Natchez, MS. We did the drive in December.

There are no services along the road. That means that you exit the highway when you need gas, food or lodging.

It is a two lane road for most of the trip. Like the Blue Ridge Trail, you MUST be alert as the woods are loaded with thousands of deer and other animals.

I would spend a lot of time researching some of the smaller towns as they have a lot of interesting small town museums, courthouses and the like. We explored Tupelo and Kosciusko, MS.

The trail is interesting BUT there are few real "must sees" along the way. Natchez and Vicksburg are far more interesting.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:23 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,948,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
it is not a particularly difficult trip as you are driving between nashville, tn and natchez, ms. We did the drive in december.

There are no services along the road. That means that you exit the highway when you need gas, food or lodging.

It is a two lane road for most of the trip. Like the blue ridge trail, you must be alert as the woods are loaded with thousands of deer and other animals.

I would spend a lot of time researching some of the smaller towns as they have a lot of interesting small town museums, courthouses and the like. We explored tupelo and kosciusko, ms.

The trail is interesting but there are few real "must sees" along the way. Natchez and vicksburg are far more interesting.
ty....

Old 05-23-2014, 07:15 AM

8,607 posts, read 11,126,977 times
I've done it three times on motorcycle. I agree with jlawrence. There's nothing on it, it's just very scenic. Watch for police as it's tempting to go a bit faster than the posted limit. Generally it's been quite empty relaxing country drive. I highly recommend it from that perspective alone.

Meriwether Lewis memorial is also there. Worth a stop.

Meriwether Lewis - Natchez Trace Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel