U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:30 AM

28,663 posts, read 62,622,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I've always wanted to go on a cross country road trip.
Unfortunately, there's no way my wife and I can get weeks off of work to do this.
Remedy this.

Without the time to be casual and leisurely about it... it doesn't work.
And of course the lower expenses (no car rental, no airfare, few hotels) won't be there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 05:17 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,234,608 times
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. For some reason I totally didn't think of flying out to the end destination first, and then renting a car to drive back. That would shave off half the time.

Loop trips are also a good suggestion.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:06 PM

3,158 posts, read 3,109,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. For some reason I totally didn't think of flying out to the end destination first, and then renting a car to drive back. That would shave off half the time.

Loop trips are also a good suggestion.
Hello VM1138

Oooohhh, FUN!

How much time would you actually have? 2 weeks, 3 weeks or more?

What time of year would you want to go? For instance, summer heat can be brutal in some areas, kids are back to school in September for less crowds.

What would you like to see? Redwoods or Red Rocks? The Pacific Ocean?

Is Los Angeles on your "bucket list"? If your first time in Southern California would you want to do the touristy things like Disneyland and Sea World? If not, and would like to focus on beautiful scenery, best get out of the congestion and go north.
We live in Orange County and the drive from there to San Francisco through Big Sur is amazing for example.

What are your coping tools for long stretches of driving?
We love film music, and have a huge collection, so that's actually a part of the fun for us.

I love road trips! Took a few great ones and want to do more!

Cheers!

Old 06-07-2014, 02:09 PM

21,482 posts, read 22,054,993 times
How much time do you have to drive each way?

You may never get another chance to drive again so I'd say go for it.

You'd take 33 hours (according to Google) to drive from Detroit to L.A. The quickest (and shortest?) route from there would bring straight across on I80 to Denver on I76 and through IL, IA, NE, not the most scenic stretch of the planet but I love driving through the great plains, and make a point of staying off the interstate whenever convenient or to hit the many scenic highways and byways that are everywhere along the way.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:41 PM

6,603 posts, read 10,356,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Flying to Dallas, Rent-A-Car, and go from there. Return the car to Dallas on your way home and fly back. Pretty much, anything east of Dallas is a waste of time. The Western USA is much more scenic, the traffic is lighter, you'll have a better time.
I personally wouldn't pick Dallas as a drop-in point for a cross-country trip because other than the Hill Country and the Cross Timbers you have to drive a good 6-8 hours west of Dallas to see anything remotely scenic. Big Bend and the mountains of Southern NM are 10 hours, and Denver is 12 hours from Dallas.

From Denver the OP can do a loop through the Central Rockies, Eastern Utah, and Northern Arizona and see Colorado National Monument, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Natural Bridges National Monument, The Grand Canyon, 4 Corners, Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes National Park, and Pikes Peak (for starters).

Old 06-13-2014, 04:56 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,347,364 times
Fly to Seattle pick up a convertible(must be a v8) Drive down to Southern California. Toward san diego. SoCal is more than jus L.A... Take 5 south to 101. Trip of a lifetime. Beautiful weather,wind in your hair, lots to see, mountains on one side, ocean on the other, big tall trees. Then fly home.. I can't think of any other scenic like this in the U.S.

Don't waste your time driving through the Midwest, like the Dakota's, Kansas, O.K, or Dallas.
Let me tell u. It's flat and brown, there's nothing to see.

Driving thru the Rockies, I like. But must be in a road hugging car like a BMW.
If your gonna drive a mini van. Your gonna miss out on the driving excitement.

I myself love road trips. After every trip, I tell myself. I am not doing this again. But every year. I pick out certain car for certain trip..

A certain car on certain drive will enhance your enjoyment of the trip.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:07 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,769,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Fly to Seattle pick up a convertible(must be a v8) Drive down to Southern California. Toward san diego. SoCal is more than jus L.A... Take 5 south to 101. Trip of a lifetime. Beautiful weather,wind in your hair, lots to see, mountains on one side, ocean on the other, big tall trees. Then fly home.. I can't think of any other scenic like this in the U.S.

Don't waste your time driving through the Midwest, like the Dakota's, Kansas, O.K, or Dallas.
Let me tell u. It's flat and brown, there's nothing to see.

Driving thru the Rockies, I like. But must be in a road hugging car like a BMW.
If your gonna drive a mini van. Your gonna miss out on the driving excitement.

I myself love road trips. After every trip, I tell myself. I am not doing this again. But every year. I pick out certain car for certain trip..

A certain car on certain drive will enhance your enjoyment of the trip.
bad advice for a number of reasons. First, a convertible will leave you with very little trunk space for luggage (even a small suitcase won't fit). This means that you'll have to leave your luggage exposed in a car that is extremely easy to get into while you are visiting the sights. A good way to become a crime victim as opposed to having a trunk.

Additionally it costs ten times to rent a luxury car over a regular vehicle.

Next, the gas situation--you will use 2-3 times the fuel on an eight cylinder. Forget thinking you'll be open roading it between Seattle and Southern California. Not going to happen. (I question if Chris V has ever actually made that drive.)

We drove the PCH LA area to San Francisco last summer in my four cylinder. No problems with power, and considering we were stuck behind vehicles moving at sloth speed for most of it, a big eight cylinder car would have been a waste of fuel, and it would have been way too hot in a convertible with the sun beating down on us until we got near Halfmoon Bay where it went from 90 to 60 in the space of 15 minutes and would have been to cold to have the top down.

By the way, one other problem with his idea--price out the cost of renting a car in SEA and dropping off at LAX--the drop off fees that will be assessed will be well over $1000--and for a luxury car, dropping off at a different location outside the immediate geographic area might not even be allowed.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:30 AM

7,716 posts, read 16,184,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Additionally it costs ten times to rent a luxury car over a regular vehicle.
The premium and luxury categories often have a certain amount of overlap and premium tends to be not insanely more than the standard offering for that size car. Recent Germany trip we splurged on the nicer Mercedes option because, hey when are we going to get to drive the autobahn again, and it was less than twice what an ordinary mid-sized sedan would have run. Granted it wasn't one of their supercars, but similar cars to what we got go for $80K USD.

And when we were in Las Vegas last summer, Enterprise screwed up some sort of demand projection, and were offering Mustang convertibles for about or slightly less than what you'd pay to rent a Ford Focus. We had to actually argue to not get one of those as our 'premium sedan'- National Parks trip with lots of driving, and I'm not a big fan of the safety of cars where the top goes down.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 AM

14,309 posts, read 24,108,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And when we were in Las Vegas last summer, Enterprise screwed up some sort of demand projection, and were offering Mustang convertibles for about or slightly less than what you'd pay to rent a Ford Focus. We had to actually argue to not get one of those as our 'premium sedan'- National Parks trip with lots of driving, and I'm not a big fan of the safety of cars where the top goes down.

It is NOT a reasonable assumption to expect that what you can do in Las Vegas is representative of the US as a whole. There are a large number of specialty vehicles in Las Vegas that they need to move that just doesn't exist in the average market. I have seen the premium to be 5-10x higher in many cities.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:00 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,769,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is NOT a reasonable assumption to expect that what you can do in Las Vegas is representative of the US as a whole. There are a large number of specialty vehicles in Las Vegas that they need to move that just doesn't exist in the average market. I have seen the premium to be 5-10x higher in many cities.
Like Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel