Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Most of our travel is road trips, but living states away from family, we do fly occasionally (maybe once/year average, maybe less). We don't have any airline miles or any reward credit cards. We're a family of 4, so airline tickets really add up.

I am considering applying for the Southwest rewards credit card. There is a $69 annual fee. Does anyone have this card? Do you think it is worth it? Thanks.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 10-20-2011 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:01 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Most of our travel is road trips, but living states away from family, we do fly occasionally (maybe once/year average, maybe less). We don't have any airline miles or any reward credit cards. We're a family of 4, so airline tickets really add up.

I am considering applying for the Southwest rewards credit card. There is a $69 annual fee. Does anyone have this card? Do you think it is worth it? How much do you charge on it/month and how many miles do you accrue? Thanks.
That's a hefty annual fee. I think you have to answer the above questions yourself, why is it your concern or relevant to you on how much people charge a month? - calculate how much you charge on cards a year vs. how many miles they give you per dollar. If you don't pay off your cards monthly you also have to put interest charges into the calculation.
Another factor under consideration is Southwest's ff program - how easy is it to get tickets, how many miles for a free ticket, do miles expire - that might be relevant questions for us.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's a hefty annual fee. I think you have to answer the above questions yourself, why is it your concern or relevant to you on how much people charge a month? - calculate how much you charge on cards a year vs. how many miles they give you per dollar. If you don't pay off your cards monthly you also have to put interest charges into the calculation.
Another factor under consideration is Southwest's ff program - how easy is it to get tickets, how many miles for a free ticket, do miles expire - that might be relevant questions for us.
It's not. I checked, and it's 1 point/$. We'd probably spend enough to get one ticket/year. We pay cc's off every month, so interest isn't too big of a concern.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
I also have a rewards credit card with a hefty annual fee, however what I gain from that credit card goes above and beyond what that fee is. I also charge everything and pay it off monthly, so interest rates don't concern me. Add up your total average charges in a year. Calculate how many points you will earn from SW by charging that amount. If the benefits far exceed $69/year, you win. You may end up paying $69 for two free flights yearly. Good deal (provided SW flies the routes you usually want to fly)! SW is one of the easier carriers to use free flights with, so that helps too.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:37 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
I have a reward card that gives me 1 point for each dollar and 1.5 or 2 points from specific merchants. We use it for everything so we accumulate points quickly. It does not cost us anything to use it because we never carry a balance (guaranteed 7.24% interest rate on balance if payments are on time). There is also no annual fee ever.

We use the points all the time for hotels and car rentals. We could use them for airlines too if we ever saved enough points, but we never did. We travel extensively and have been using the points in every trip we took in the last four years since we have the card.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-21-2011 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
It used to be, before the new point system was introduced. I flew once or twice a year, used the card for most routine expenses, and I easily earned enough credits for a free flight each year. Now that you have to accumulate points which vary for each flight I'm not sure. I'm going to give it a year under the new system to see if it pays off. It doesn't look too promising though.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
They have a special offer of 50,000 points when signing up. That equals two round trip tickets. You also get 3,000 points on you anniversary date. I called the customer service and she said most round trip flights are now 25,000-30,000 points depending on how far in advance you book. That's a lot of points. My credit union has a airline point system that only requires 15,000. I may apply and use the 2 free tickets for the holidays then cancel it. The card is through Chase bank which is another negative.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:44 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
The card is through Chase bank which is another negative.
Speaking of Chase, Disney also has a reward card through Chase. No annual fee, and with the first charge (of any amount), they send you a $250 check.

We accepted the offer, used it once, received the check, and have not touched it ever since.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Excellent points ... AA was offering a great rewards credit card but the interest rate was too high. I try to pay my balance in full but there are times that I have to carry a balance over so it wasn't worth it.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
For those that use miles I have a question.
With my Chase card I get value that I usually take as cash.
Money obviously can be used for tickets anytime and on any airline with no restrictions.
Do airlines miles equal more than the actual cash value?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel