U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,784,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Other than maybe Delaware, I don't think you can say you've seen what is truly representative of any of those states from a bus window on 95. Kind of like connecting through LHR and claiming to have seen England (which is only about 10% larger than Pennsylvania.)
I said seen, not visit, literally see, in my languages that means just "see"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 AM

519 posts, read 887,282 times
I like the layout by EclecticEars, so here goes with my list, in roughly East to West

Actually spent time in:
  • Massachusetts
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Virginia
  • North Carolina (former resident)
  • South Carolina
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Alabama (born there)
  • Mississippi
  • Louisiana
  • Tennessee
  • Kentucky (former resident)
  • West Virginia
  • Ohio (former resident, mother born there)
  • Indiana (father born there)
  • Illinois
  • Missouri
  • Arkansas
  • Kansas
  • Oklahoma (former resident)
  • Texas (current resident)
  • New Mexico
  • Colorado
  • Utah
  • Arizona
  • California (only a very small part though...visited Death Valley, twice)
  • Hawaii

Have driven through only once without stopping, or otherwise just stepped over the border, in:
  • Maryland (driven thru)
  • Michigan (visited ??Dunes Park for an afternoon at the beach when visiting relatives in Northern Indiana)

Have had air travel layovers in:
  • hmm...none that I haven't actually spent time in

Off topic, but outside of the U.S.
  • France (well, Paris)
  • United Kingdom (England: two weeks including side trips from London to Bath, Dover, and York)

So 28, including Hawaii, plus D.C.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,828,819 times
21 States.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:49 AM

60 posts, read 54,898 times
I've been to only 15 and DC, but I've been to all 10 Canadian provinces, all EU member states, every Central and South American country, Russia, several Caribbean islands, almost every East and Southeast Asian nation, the UAE, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and...sorry, I'm just showing off now. Does that make up for the other 35?

Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 AM

2,847 posts, read 1,814,968 times
I've been in every state except Alaska, and I will be going there next summer. Grew up in Illinois, then lived in Fresno CA for three years, Seattle three years, Las Vegas five years, Miami three years and Maryland twelve years. Living in all these places has allowed me to see a lot.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:55 AM

6,953 posts, read 9,046,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Washington
Oregon
California
Nevada
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado
Florida
Hawaii
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Delaware

14 states + DC

I don't count airports
Just added Idaho, so 15 states + DC now

Old 08-15-2014, 10:02 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,437,614 times
Default Show off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmARandomAnonymousUser View Post
I've been to only 15 and DC, but I've been to all 10 Canadian provinces, all EU member states, every Central and South American country, Russia, several Caribbean islands, almost every East and Southeast Asian nation, the UAE, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and...sorry, I'm just showing off now. Does that make up for the other 35?
Yes, you are showing-off but that's okay because my day is coming when I will visit other countries. But as for now, I continue to dust the feather in my cap for the 49 states I've been to.

And no, your extensive global travel does not make up for the 35 states you're short of visiting in this beautiful country -- USA!!

Old 08-19-2014, 12:16 AM

615 posts, read 789,377 times
I just concluded my cross country road trip for this year and I now I can check off 6 states from the list. That brings my grand total of states visited to 42! I've been cruising America with my dad since I was a kid, and it would seem that travel is in our blood. Each year or two we head out on either a small road trip or long road trip, this year was a long one, and I just love it! The remaining states I have left to visit are; Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Alaska, and Hawaii!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,445,399 times
I've probably been to more, but the ones I can definitely remember are:

Georgia
Minnesota
Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin
New York

Tonight I fly to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where I will take a bus through it, Tennessee, and at least also Indiana. Probably more.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 AM

14,190 posts, read 6,426,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintess View Post
I just concluded my cross country road trip for this year and I now I can check off 6 states from the list. That brings my grand total of states visited to 42! I've been cruising America with my dad since I was a kid, and it would seem that travel is in our blood. Each year or two we head out on either a small road trip or long road trip, this year was a long one, and I just love it! The remaining states I have left to visit are; Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Alaska, and Hawaii!
I love road trips! I drove out to California back in like '93 with a friend. I'm hoping to get to Glacier Nat'l Park maybe next year so that'll add more states to my list, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel