U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:16 PM

4,466 posts, read 7,248,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think I've ever been on a pre-planned commercial excursion that was better than what I could have done independently. I have done a few, but they were usually disasppointments.
I agree with this. For the Kauai heli tours, done it and felt it was a waste of money (and more importantly, time). I will Never do another.

But to find a bright side, the 2 "best" that come to mind were a walking tour of Ercolano, Italy where as we walked towards the visitor center an old Italian man asked if we'd like a guide. Chatted him up for awhile found out he was a retired Archeologist who helped work on both Ercolano and Pompeii, had a reasonable price for a personalized tour and was charming, funny and informative. Absolute luck of the draw.

Second was a "locals only" glacier hike in Juneau, AK (we were there for 5 months while my wife worked a contract job) that I managed to sweet talk my way into. 5 people total (guide, 2 couples) and we spent about 5 hours climbing around Mendenhall Glacier.

I've paid for a few others that were such complete disappointments (like the Heli tour, and a Zodiac tour) that I still shudder at the memory. Anything more than 5 people has proven to range from just a disappointment to a complete disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 06:47 PM

2,499 posts, read 6,409,482 times
Years ago when we lived in FL,we went to a timeshare pitch and received two free passes for a cruise to the Bahamas.We had a beautiful room with breakfast and dinner.It was for a few days.
A very fun trip from Fort Lauderdale.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:09 PM

4,689 posts, read 2,331,667 times
A tour of El Cid’s Tomb in Burgos Cathedral, Burgos, Spain. Very moving. Also learned a lot of very unusual history of Queen Isabela during the tour.

Also, I decided Burgos had the happiest people I had ever encountered.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:50 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,188,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Assuming you are defining an excursion as a one day or partial day trip?

The Scavi Tour in Rome (goes under St. Peters - completely amazing)
Whale watching in Vancouver (sitting in a small boat surrounded by orcas)
Sea-Trek in St. Maartin (walking on the sea floor)
Eagles Nest in Germany (outstanding alpine views from the top)
The Chocolate Tour in Brussels (free samples at 4 different stores and you get to make your own!)
Now I can add a private "Foodie" excursion in Ephesus Turkey! We were on a NCL Mediterranean cruise which had a stop at Ephesus (Kusadasi) in Turkey. Since we did not know much about Turkey, we booked our first ever private tour with a local tour group. It was one of the highlights of my travel experience. That area of Turkey is very scenic and we were able to get away from all of the tourists for a while and get off into the country, while still having time to see the ruins at Ephesus!

Old 02-04-2018, 05:04 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,200,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Mine was taking a helicopter tour over Kauai. The highlight? Seeing the Na Pali Coast. The most beautiful sight I have ever seen in my life.
Getting weird in eastern Ukraine.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:20 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,500,884 times
A Palos Verde tour in Costa Rice.. It was my now wife and myself, the tour guide and the boat captain on a 30-40 person boat.. Saw so many cool things, crocodiles swimming up to the boat, jesus christ lizards, birds, and the coup d grace, a monkey fighting an iguana with a stick over a banana.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 AM

14,041 posts, read 7,483,637 times
I’ve had some memorable ski trips over the years. A dozen of them vie for #1.

Sailing Merchants Row off Stonington Maine is up there.

Grand Canyon rim to rim hike is up there.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 1,487 times
I think swimming with the Whale Sharks or Climbing the glaciers.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:18 PM

3,792 posts, read 3,025,042 times
-Sea Trek in Aruba
-Glacier Hike in Iceland
-SPB Company guided tour of Saint Petersburg (2 day)
-My favorite factory tour anywhere was Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen actually
-Close to home actually, visiting Kennedy Space Center. The bus tour, everything really. Sure, it's touristy and themed towards kids but you are literally looking at the rocket that landed on the moon. That is unbelievable stuff there.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:12 AM

21,408 posts, read 21,974,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
-Sea Trek in Aruba
-Glacier Hike in Iceland
-SPB Company guided tour of Saint Petersburg (2 day)
-My favorite factory tour anywhere was Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen actually
-Close to home actually, visiting Kennedy Space Center. The bus tour, everything really. Sure, it's touristy and themed towards kids but you are literally looking at the rocket that landed on the moon. That is unbelievable stuff there.
I think they were fooling with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or