U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 PM

522 posts, read 555,054 times

Advertisements

I think of all my travels, the ones I thought I would like least are the ones I most enjoyed and vice versa. The biggest one for me was Michigan. I had no clue how beautiful the state was, and only went because a friend was having a wedding in Grand Rapids. I only got to stay 4 days, but there was so much more I wanted to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 PM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Big surprises -

Ajijic, Mexico (actually liked it so much we lived there part time for two years)
Mallorca (cruise ship stop that was a replacement for a port that was too windy to dock)
Rome (we expected to not like it since we've started to strongly prefer small cities/town instead of big cities, but Rome was an exception)

OTOH, I expected to love Barcelona. Didn't, and the unfriendly locals were a new experience for me as a tourist. Except for the food, which was incredible.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,121,470 times
Ocracoke, NC - The perfect quaint coastal village and island with killer beaches and a laid back vibe!
Tulum, Mexico - the beach zone, not the town Stunning sand, water and palms, amazing ruins and fantastic food and culture
Grand Canyon - The best big hole in the world. The colors and scale are simply impossible to imagine w/out seeing it in person

I didn't necessarily think I'd dislike any of these, but didn't expect them to be standouts, either.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM

6,150 posts, read 6,319,318 times
New Mexico for me. During a roadtrip I only planned to spend one day getting from Colorado to Arizona. Ended up taking eight days getting across New Mexico. I covered all but the Southwest portion of the state.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,006 times
I went to Berlin to see some friends and barely did any research, being stuck in midterm exams immediately prior to leaving. I ended up loving it. Lots of stuff to do.

Also, Düsseldorf...kind of. If you Google images of it, all you'd expect is a river with a ferris wheel and a tower in the distance. The centre of town is actually very nice and modern and was bustling with people, and this was immediately after Christmas, too.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
Colonial Williamsburg. I thought it would be nice, but a bit hokey/boring. What I found was the docents really interact with their audience. And since I'm from Alta California and that fits into the historical time, the gossipy proprietress of the cafe was delighted to "play". I ended up having a lot more fun there than I expected.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
I think of all my travels, the ones I thought I would like least are the ones I most enjoyed and vice versa. The biggest one for me was Michigan. I had no clue how beautiful the state was, and only went because a friend was having a wedding in Grand Rapids. I only got to stay 4 days, but there was so much more I wanted to see.
Grand Rapids is nice. But did you go to Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and places in the UP?

Fodor Names Traverse City One of America’s 10 Best Small Towns

Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Driving accross Canada a few years ago i was dreading the long trek across the prairies,Long boring and flat? didnt turn out that way as i guess we drove across it at the right time it was absolutely beautiful,.. all the crops were up and the wind made it all look like waves on an ocean of multi colored crops whose flowers came in many colors.turned out to be 2 days of wow factor driving.
Also driving the southside of Lake Superior who knew most of it is white sandy beaches that rival what Florida has to offer..

Last edited by jambo101; 05-28-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 04:40 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,217,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
I grew up in Grand Rapids, spent the first 19 or 20 years of my life there. Glad to see you enjoyed it. Michigan is a great place and has an undeserved bad reputation.

I haven't been surprised too many times (I usually know what I'm getting myself into). I was very surprised by Miami, I thought it was going to be a crime ridden cesspool, but in reality I loved it enough to pack my bags and move there. Another city that really surprised me was Kansas City. It's a very cool place to be.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:04 PM

522 posts, read 555,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Grand Rapids is nice. But did you go to Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and places in the UP?

Fodor Names Traverse City One of America’s 10 Best Small Towns
I have family who owns a beach house in Traverse City but we never got to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I grew up in Grand Rapids, spent the first 19 or 20 years of my life there. Glad to see you enjoyed it. Michigan is a great place and has an undeserved bad reputation.

I haven't been surprised too many times (I usually know what I'm getting myself into). I was very surprised by Miami, I thought it was going to be a crime ridden cesspool, but in reality I loved it enough to pack my bags and move there. Another city that really surprised me was Kansas City. It's a very cool place to be.
My Mother grew up in Grand Rapids so I was happy to see it. Michiganders are some of the nicest people, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel