U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 PM

28,210 posts, read 47,614,469 times

Advertisements

Time For Three, a classically-trained string trio, was desperately trying to make it to a festival gig in Fayetteville, Arkansas, but one thing stood in their way: the pilot of their US Airways flight. What followed was perhaps the most beautiful form of complaint to an airline I have ever heard.P

Most airline complaints involve hours spent on hold with customer service, or talking to a report, or sending increasingly mean tweets to an airlines Twitter account whereby they ignore you anyways. But that wasn't the case when the pilot wouldn't allow violinist Zach de Pue onboard if he wanted to bring his instrument.

Disallowed Airplane Violin Leads To Funny Passive-Agressive Protest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:25 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Maybe they should tell the entire story. That is a regional jet--and a small one. There is no overheald space large enough to accomodate a musical instrument (there typically are no bins on one side and small, shallow ones that can accomodate items such as a folded coat, a hat--my briefcase will not fit in one) and the instrument would not fit under the seat without protruding--which the FAA will not allow for safety reasons. They were most likely accomodated on a different style of aircraft with more overhead space later.

You can't fit a square peg into a round hole regardless of what the law states.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Did you see the pile of stuff they were trying to carry on?!!? A suitcase, a backpack (that contained the violin) and what I think was a skateboard.

My guess is the real story is they didn't want to pay the check luggage fees for the extra stuff. The airline staff did their jobs and said you have more than we can allow in carry on for a full flight.

While I get Annerk's point, I don't think this plane is that small. IF they were only bringing the backpack with the violin with them, I don't think it would have been a problem.

However, I'll give the musician's credit for their creativity in getting some free PR. They lose points for filming vertically.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:45 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,235,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Did you see the pile of stuff they were trying to carry on?!!? A suitcase, a backpack (that contained the violin) and what I think was a skateboard.

My guess is the real story is they didn't want to pay the check luggage fees for the extra stuff. The airline staff did their jobs and said you have more than we can allow in carry on for a full flight.

While I get Annerk's point, I don't think this plane is that small. IF they were only bringing the backpack with the violin with them, I don't think it would have been a problem.

However, I'll give the musician's credit for their creativity in getting some free PR. They lose points for filming vertically.

The plane is that small. There's no room in the overhead bin. No one is against art, that's just what happens when you fly on a small RJ.

You fly on the ERJ and your carry-ons are taken before you board. That's just how it goes.

This video is not funny, these people are annoying. Standing outside playing their stupid instruments when everyone else is on the plane waiting.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,699,211 times
^^^^ I have to agree. I'd call this histrionics.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

You might not think as much as you want. The FACT is that yes, the overhead space IS that small. I've flown on no fewer than 30 of these planes in the past year, and my small roll aboard is always left at the end of the jetway or on the tarmac, and my breifcase barely fits under the seat in front of me. If I'm upgraded to 1A and can't catch it fast enough to change, I have no seat in front of me for storage and my breifcase won't fit into the overhead. I've taken to bringing a nylon drawstring bag along to put my iPad, GPS, wallet, etc. into so I can leave the breifcase to be loaded into baggage as well.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Those planes are tiny.

They shoudl do what MOST PROFESSIONAL musiciand do - buy a ticket for their instrument so they can put it in a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel