Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:28 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Benefits such as airline miles go to the name on the ticket, not the payor.
Not always. I agree with others who reported that they worked for companies that claimed the airline and hotel miles were theirs. And they got them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Company I used to work for kept all of the frequent flier miles and hotel points. They made the reservations and paid for them so that was their justification. Then they instituted a travel policy that you were to travel outside of business hours as much as possible so you didn't "miss work"-that didn't go over well but the exchange was that they gave the traveler the FF miles and hotel points. Thankfully that misguided policy went away quickly but we got to keep getting our points.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 PM

141 posts, read 205,557 times
The first thing your travel agency should do is set up a personal profile for you and have you apply for all the various frequent flyer and hotel reward programs. If you're using a company credit card, the company will get the reward points for using the card but you should get the points and miles for your travel.

I'd recommend banking all your miles and points so you can travel on your own in the future. I made the mistake of using a lot of miles for upgrades that would have been better spent on free flights for my own personal travel.

It's great fun racking up status in frequent flyer programs I traveled like mad on business for several years and really enjoyed the perks of being a frequent traveler.

Have fun!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Your company travel agency likely knows already whether you are allowed to accumulate FF miles, and they can probably help you set it up. I'm guessing they've already done that for other employees of the company.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:56 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I have rewards with my united card along with my capital one card. I wish i could combine the points or use the points in my capital one to cover the remaining amount for plane ticket that i will be using with my united miles points. I guess i will use my united miles for whatever i can for my plane ticket and then my capital one miles for hotel.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:29 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I have rewards with my united card along with my capital one card. I wish i could combine the points or use the points in my capital one to cover the remaining amount for plane ticket that i will be using with my united miles points. I guess i will use my united miles for whatever i can for my plane ticket and then my capital one miles for hotel.
You'll have to check with Capital One to confirm, but if you use United miles for a plane ticket, United will charge you $$$ for taxes and fees on the ticket. You can charge that to your Capital One card and wipe out the expense using your points.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
You'll have to check with Capital One to confirm, but if you use United miles for a plane ticket, United will charge you $$$ for taxes and fees on the ticket. You can charge that to your Capital One card and wipe out the expense using your points.
Yeah, i could at least wipe the expense of the hotel stay with the capital one charge on remaining flight cost. I was hoping to have my entire flight paid since for hotel stay, i can get great deals with priceline separately. Oh well. Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:52 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Most (but not all) companies allow the accrual of FF miles and hotel points. It's considered a perk of the job, ie "If I spend so much of my life on the road for the company, my spouse and I should damn well enjoy a 'free' trip to London or Sydney in international first!" The earning process will be much faster depending on your destination/class of travel. Someone flying LA-London in business twice a week will earn far more than someone doing Houston-Chicago every two months in economy.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:59 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
My new job is going to be a lot of travel. When I fly I call the company travel agency and they book the flight in my name, and obviously the company pays. When I stay at hotels, I can use the company credit card. I'm wondering if I should be able to get the frequent flier type benefits when I book flights this way, and benefits for staying in the hotels? Or do I only get this stuff when I pay?
You should immediately sign up for every FF and hotel program that you might use. Usually, your company travel agent will keep all of your FF numbers in their system profile for you and will automatically add them to every reservation, both airfares and hotels.

It has nothing to do with who pays and everything to do with who flys or who stays in the hotel. Hopefully, you don't work for a skinflint company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel