U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,519,662 times

Advertisements

My new job is going to be a lot of travel. When I fly I call the company travel agency and they book the flight in my name, and obviously the company pays. When I stay at hotels, I can use the company credit card. I'm wondering if I should be able to get the frequent flier type benefits when I book flights this way, and benefits for staying in the hotels? Or do I only get this stuff when I pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
Depends on your company policy,

But you should be able to book the trips, hotels etc. Into your personal FF account, and use the benefits for your personal use.

You might need to add your FF number to the reservation after its booked, and not during the 1st booking process.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
My new job is going to be a lot of travel. When I fly I call the company travel agency and they book the flight in my name, and obviously the company pays. When I stay at hotels, I can use the company credit card. I'm wondering if I should be able to get the frequent flier type benefits when I book flights this way, and benefits for staying in the hotels? Or do I only get this stuff when I pay?
Yep, depends on company policy. My company allows us to accrue our FF/loyalty points for personal use. My profile on our intranet travel system has my FF numbers stored, so anytime I book a flight or make a reservation, I automatically get the points without having to do anything.

Does the company credit card have your name on it? I know some hotels only give you loyalty points if you are using a credit card that bears your name.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:43 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yep, depends on company policy. My company allows us to accrue our FF/loyalty points for personal use. My profile on our intranet travel system has my FF numbers stored, so anytime I book a flight or make a reservation, I automatically get the points without having to do anything.

Does the company credit card have your name on it? I know some hotels only give you loyalty points if you are using a credit card that bears your name.
Yes it does.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:00 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,094,295 times
I agree it depends on company policy but I have never heard of a company barring employees from accruing points or miles. That is one of the perks of being away from home so much. My company usually adds my FF# or hotel rewards account # for me. In the event that they don't, I can easily add it myself online or at the time of check-in or even after the fact if I missed it.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,280,805 times
Ditto company policy.

I worked for a company back in the early 90s that required all FF points accumulated on business travel be used to purchase business trips only and hotel points were owned by the company.

Every company I have worked for since has allowed the individual to keep points earned on business travel and to use them for personal use.

Always best to inquire first.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Quote:
Yes it does.
Then you may be able to claim the points. Find a copy of your company policy ... there's probably a section on travel with a subsection that addresses loyalty points.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 AM

6,153 posts, read 6,321,355 times
Sometimes you might have to tweak things a bit to get credit for the airline miles when traveling on a ticket booked by your companies travel agent. Often they will book the ticket in your name but use your company address and phone number. When they do this a company account number might get assigned to the ticket. This happens to me all the time. All I do is go online to the airline website, bring up the reservation and add in my account number. When doing this I usually get a message saying my account profile does not match the profile used to book the ticket. The message then asks if I want to replace the exsisting profile with my personal profile. I click yes and my account shows up on the ticket.

The only time I do not get hotel points is if my company has an account with the hotel and is getting a deep discount.

I recommend you go online and add your account numbers once you get the booking info. While you can wait until you check in to add your account numbers, upgrades are often given out on a first come first serve basis depending on your status. By the time you check in there might not be any upgrades left.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:38 AM

548 posts, read 637,305 times
>I have never heard of a company barring employees from accruing points or miles

The federal government -- not a 'company', I know -- used to bar federal employees and military personnel from earning airline or hotel miles when they travelled, but that changed around 2000.

Back then, the restriction was entirely from the govt side. It wasn't that the government collected them either, they just left the benefit on the table. The airlines, back when there was more competition, lobbied to let federal employees & military earn their miles (to get loyalty from them when the booked leisure travel, moved on to other jobs, etc).

Now with all this airline consolidation, I've heard rumors that airlines want to stop awarding miles for the discounted bulk fares that the govt gets.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:44 PM

8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Quote:
Benefits such as airline miles go to the name on the ticket, not the payor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or