U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times

Advertisements

Wherever you go in the Northern Hemisphere, the sky is always the same, and you can find the Big Dipper to assure you that at least one familiar friend has come with you on your travels. But if you ever travel to the south, especially beyond the Tropic of Capricorn, it's a whole new sky you've never seen before.

Of the 30 or 40 brightest stars, there are quite a few more of them visible in the southern sky than in the north, And you won't want to return home and tell people that No, you did not see the Southern Cross -- the most important tourist attraction in the Southern Hemisphere.

So if you plan a trip south, pick up a southern star chart, and spend at least a few minutes exploring the sky. Try to download one online before you go, they are not that easy to find when you get there. In fact, I had to make my own, when I lived in Chile. I found an old copy of the World Almanac in a used bookstore, which had a list of about 100 stars with their magnitude, ascension and declension. I got out a sheet of paper and my trusty compass and protractor from a school supply store, and drew my own star chart, which amazed me by being usefully accurate. I was hooked, and spent the year going out and following the movement of the stars around the southern sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,273,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wherever you go in the Northern Hemisphere, the sky is always the same, and you can find the Big Dipper to assure you that at least one familiar friend has come with you on your travels. But if you ever travel to the south, especially beyond the Tropic of Capricorn, it's a whole new sky you've never seen before.

Of the 30 or 40 brightest stars, there are quite a few more of them visible in the southern sky than in the north, And you won't want to return home and tell people that No, you did not see the Southern Cross -- the most important tourist attraction in the Southern Hemisphere.

So if you plan a trip south, pick up a southern star chart, and spend at least a few minutes exploring the sky. Try to download one online before you go, they are not that easy to find when you get there. In fact, I had to make my own, when I lived in Chile. I found an old copy of the World Almanac in a used bookstore, which had a list of about 100 stars with their magnitude, ascension and declension. I got out a sheet of paper and my trusty compass and protractor from a school supply store, and drew my own star chart, which amazed me by being usefully accurate. I was hooked, and spent the year going out and following the movement of the stars around the southern sky.
How do you spot it?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How do you spot it?
Can you reword your question?

Old 05-31-2014, 03:30 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,273,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Can you reword your question?
How do you spot the Southern Cross?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How do you spot the Southern Cross?
Well, one way is to ask somebody. Just like anybody in the northern hemisphere would be able to point out the Big Dipper / Ursa Major to you. Or, if you have a star chart, you can identify it's appearance and location. But even without help, you know that must always be directly south of you, so just find a point on the horizon that is exactly south, and look above that point for a four-star pattern shaped like the ends of a cross or the corners of a kite. (it might be upside down or sideways). It is not as conspicuous as the Big Dipper, but all four stars are fairly bright. The further south you are, the higher it will be in the sky.

http://en.es-static.us/upl/2009/06/S...4-29-2012.jpeg

Last edited by jtur88; 05-31-2014 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 07:57 PM

(Inadvertent repetition)

Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,792,714 times
Agreed that the southern hemisphere has some great celestial objects to see. Another thing is that it is generally easy to get away from a lot of light pollution in the south, and therefore to get a great view of the stars. The northern hemisphere has a lot more large cities with lots of light pollution.

Took some pictures with a standard DSLR on a tripod (45-second exposure)...

The Milky Way here in NZ is an awesome sight:

Besides the Milky Way itself, the two most prominent objects are the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds (actually galaxies), quite easily visible as "cloudy" patches.

Many objects, including the Omega Centauri globular cluster, and several nebluae (e.g. Lagoon) are visible with the naked eye. Even modest binoculars yield a lot of objects/details.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM

Awesome photos. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel