U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,298,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
That is not correct. You need an approval letter for Vietnam, and you have to get it before you depart. No approval letter means no visa.
Yes, but that doesn't negate what the poster was saying about getting a visa on arrival in Vietnam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 12:42 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,691,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Dunno about US passports, but many countries won't even let you in if your passport will expire within 6 months...
Yup. Mine just went off for renewal, it expires January 2014. I'm getting it done now as I have no international travel planned for the next few months, but might want to leave the country in the early fall.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:46 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,666,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Interesting to hear all kinds of scenarios that have happened! What a nightmare (and indeed, embarrassment) to be returned on another flight! I would think a country that allows visa upon arrival could make a handsome $$$$ by charging a hefty fee that one is willing to pay as long as it's less than the return airfare
Most do. I just paid 80 US for a multiple entry VISA in Zambia. Then 40 US for a one day VISA in Zimbabwe and another 40 (possibly 25) for a one day VISA in Botswana. Had I not got the multiple entry VISA in Zambia, I would have had to 40 dollars each time I entered their country, to obtain another VISA.

Most of the time, VISA's are a scam as a way to make money off of tourists. They don't have any real valid purpose. They want to know when I entered their country? They can scan my passport for that.

The only 2 countries which I KNOW you have to have a VISA for, prior to entry, is Russia and China. Every other country I've been too, I just needed to get the VISA when I landed.

On my last trip, when I landed in London. There were AT LEAST a dozen persons being held by immigration who did not have passports. Several were right in front of me and were taken to a "holding booth." I was shocked they were actually allowed on the plane. However, you do read stories of 12 yr olds getting on planes without tickets, identification, et al.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Most do. I just paid 80 US for a multiple entry VISA in Zambia. Then 40 US for a one day VISA in Zimbabwe and another 40 (possibly 25) for a one day VISA in Botswana. Had I not got the multiple entry VISA in Zambia, I would have had to 40 dollars each time I entered their country, to obtain another VISA.

Most of the time, VISA's are a scam as a way to make money off of tourists. They don't have any real valid purpose. They want to know when I entered their country? They can scan my passport for that.

The only 2 countries which I KNOW you have to have a VISA for, prior to entry, is Russia and China. Every other country I've been too, I just needed to get the VISA when I landed.

On my last trip, when I landed in London. There were AT LEAST a dozen persons being held by immigration who did not have passports. Several were right in front of me and were taken to a "holding booth." I was shocked they were actually allowed on the plane. However, you do read stories of 12 yr olds getting on planes without tickets, identification, et al.
There are other countries which require the visa be obtained in advance.

Not an all inclusive list by any means, but:

Saudi Arabia
India
Azerbaijan
Australia

Old 06-07-2014, 02:46 PM

437 posts, read 619,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
The UK (and other countries with generous welfare benefits) often gets people who destroy their passports while in flight, then show up in the UK to try to make a claim for asylum. Once they get released from the airport, they disappear and don't show up for any of their hearings.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
The UK (and other countries with generous welfare benefits) often gets people who destroy their passports while in flight, then show up in the UK to try to make a claim for asylum. Once they get released from the airport, they disappear and don't show up for any of their hearings.
If they are in the country illegally, how do they get benefits?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 PM

437 posts, read 619,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If they are in the country illegally, how do they get benefits?
Identity theft, marriage and children, working under the table while receiving welfare benefits...the list goes on.

There are, sadly, communities where people can slip into and essentially disappear, while living and working with others in their station. Many of these communities have members who are experts at defrauding the systems and coach new arrivals either for free or for a cut of the benefits.

Life may not be great for the immigrant but it is often better than where they came from, and few are in any position to complain if they are being mistreated since they are essentially in the country illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or