U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:38 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,936,550 times

Advertisements

Ugh. Only once, from CT to TN. Never again. The bus stopped at every rinky-dink town, had to switch buses too many times, and the passengers commandeered the seats next to them by laying all their belongings on them, leaving the only available seats in the worst part of the bus. It was a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:57 AM

163 posts, read 196,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
the passengers commandeered the seats next to them by laying all their belongings on them, leaving the only available seats in the worst part of the bus.
I hate selfish people like this. Usually a young woman with a handbag. I deliberately choose to sit beside them and take great delight in asking them to move their bags. I have seen arguments break out in the past over this, however.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,531,033 times
Greyhound seems to have gone downhill pretty much since I used to use it 20-30 years ago. At that time, it was the way to go between Sacramento and Napa/Sonoma. And it was pretty nice - like a regional transportation bus.

My strangest Greyhound journey was from L.A. to San Diego, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The trip, which should have been 3-4 hours, took 13(!) hours. There were no accidents ... it was just wall-to-wall traffic all the way down there. But the guy beside me was nice enough to converse with me in my broken Spanish from time-to-time, which made it bearable.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:51 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,969,595 times
My experience traveling from Chicago to Minneapolis: A young couple (probably in their mid 20s) with a small child was seated across the aisle from me. Everything seemed fine until the coupe started kissing and then the guy put his hand under the girl's t-shirt and started fondling her. The child was asleep so they indulged in their private couple time. No idea how long that lasted since I was traveling for a job interview and was more focused on reading some material.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Greyhound seems to have gone downhill pretty much since I used to use it 20-30 years ago. At that time, it was the way to go between Sacramento and Napa/Sonoma. And it was pretty nice - like a regional transportation bus.
That's a bit Greyhound is here, well maybe a little longer.

Quote:
My strangest Greyhound journey was from L.A. to San Diego, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The trip, which should have been 3-4 hours, took 13(!) hours. There were no accidents ... it was just wall-to-wall traffic all the way down there. But the guy beside me was nice enough to converse with me in my broken Spanish from time-to-time, which made it bearable.
I had that happened to me once before thanksgiving, though it was a 160 mile trip. I think the bus got a tire problem, caused a one hour delay and then we hit traffic on I-95 down to NYC. For Los Angeles to San Diego, isn't there Amtrak for that?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:55 AM

17,402 posts, read 21,244,496 times
People forget! There are any number of hide-bound, stubborn individuals who will go to their graves priding themselves on never setting foot on a plane! My 72YO cousin, enough money to fly first class anywhere, will never-ever-ever get on a plane! The thought of flying!

So let's not narrow the audience to just the poor who take Greyhound, and? with some destinations, not between big cities, it can be more expensive to take Greyhound!

Avid readers, like myself, increasingly enjoy taking buses. Find a couple of good books to take along and you'll soon forget you're on a bus and you so wish the bus ride was longer, as you didn't get time enough to finish a book!

Bus transportation would be more fun and enjoyable, in this country, if we patterned it off bus transport in Central America! There? Ah! What an adventure and a shopping adventure as well, as there's vendors hopping on and off the buses en route trying to sell you anything from fried chicken to cold sandwiches to candy to ice cream to pirated DVD's/CD's and even Vitamins and prescription drugs!

Oh yes, it's also happened, a preacher hopped on board, and for the next 5-10 miles we had to listen to his preaching and passing the hat to the back of the bus!

Come on, Greyhound, increase your ridership! Let the vendors come on board along the way!

Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 AM

163 posts, read 196,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
... with some destinations, not between big cities, it can be more expensive to take Greyhound!
This was precisely my point. Greyhound has the reputation for being cheaper, but this isn't always the case. It therefore attracts cheapskates who often end up paying more than if they got a plane instead. One must include the cost of food consumed on a 2 day Greyhound journey into the price for a valid comparison.

Quote:
Avid readers, like myself, increasingly enjoy taking buses. Find a couple of good books to take along and you'll soon forget you're on a bus and you so wish the bus ride was longer, as you didn't get time enough to finish a book!
I envy you. No Greyhound bus I ever got was quiet enough to read a book. There was always a baby screaming or Shaniqua having a phone conversation at 100 decibels.

Quote:
Bus transportation would be more fun and enjoyable, in this country, if we patterned it off bus transport in Central America!
Bus transportation becomes unviable over such long distances. The time vs money ratio becomes too large. Think of the money you're wasting by not working for several days of the journey, or the amount you're spending on food along the way. I suppose there will always be a small target market of people who are afraid to fly, but this is nonsensical to me as statistically flying is safest mode of travel.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:23 PM

32,079 posts, read 32,986,776 times
I ride Peter Pan which is now part of Greyhound at least once a year between NYC and Hartford, CT. But I have also ridden real Greyhound buses between Fort Lauderdale and Fort Myers in Florida some years ago and in both directions there were no major problems. I think also used Greyhound once when I was a teenager to go from NYC to Wellflleet, MA. and back together with my younger sister. We missed our stop and arrived at the end of the line and the bus driver allowed to take back the next bus in the other direction (which wasn't that far away) without any problem.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:19 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,732,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
This was precisely my point. Greyhound has the reputation for being cheaper, but this isn't always the case. It therefore attracts cheapskates who often end up paying more than if they got a plane instead. One must include the cost of food consumed on a 2 day Greyhound journey into the price for a valid comparison.

I envy you. No Greyhound bus I ever got was quiet enough to read a book. There was always a baby screaming or Shaniqua having a phone conversation at 100 decibels.

Bus transportation becomes unviable over such long distances. The time vs money ratio becomes too large. Think of the money you're wasting by not working for several days of the journey, or the amount you're spending on food along the way. I suppose there will always be a small target market of people who are afraid to fly, but this is nonsensical to me as statistically flying is safest mode of travel.

(1st paragraph )

Add in the price of food for 2 days ?

The last time my wife rode Greyhound ( Minnesota to Florida ) the bus only stopped at McDonalds all the way down.

cost of eating McDonalds food.......VERRY LOW !

Old 06-04-2014, 06:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I ride Peter Pan which is now part of Greyhound at least once a year between NYC and Hartford, CT.
That's how I ended up on Greyhound most of the times I've taken it. Book a bus down to NYC and get a Greyhound instead of Peter Pan. They're actually still separate companies they just run to ticketing together so that as to have better route coverage (Peter Pan website will show Greyhound buses and vica versa). Oddly, for a while express Peter Pan buses (there a couple non-stop ones to Boston and NYC on weekends some parts of the year) could only be booked online through the Greyhound website. They appeared to have fixed that bug.

Years ago, the Greyhound buses were obviously worse than the Peter Pan ones. Greyhound seems to have improved them, they're about the same now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or