U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 AM

32,190 posts, read 33,097,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's how I ended up on Greyhound most of the times I've taken it. Book a bus down to NYC and get a Greyhound instead of Peter Pan. They're actually still separate companies they just run to ticketing together so that as to have better route coverage (Peter Pan website will show Greyhound buses and vica versa). Oddly, for a while express Peter Pan buses (there a couple non-stop ones to Boston and NYC on weekends some parts of the year) could only be booked online through the Greyhound website. They appeared to have fixed that bug.

Years ago, the Greyhound buses were obviously worse than the Peter Pan ones. Greyhound seems to have improved them, they're about the same now.
The Peter Pan website also shows Bonanza Bus service in the Northeast as well as Greyhound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,130,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Peter Pan website also shows Bonanza Bus service in the Northeast as well as Greyhound.
Bonanza Bus is part of Peter Pan. BoltBus is jointly owned and run by PeterPan and GreyHound.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,034,787 times
I was unaware greyhound offered bus service from the US to many cities in Mexico. it's significantly cheaper than flying. I wonder how that would be.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,851,912 times
I have never traveled by Greyhound. I have always either flown or driven in the US.

I have traveled in tour groups by Coach in places like Australia, China and Iceland, but that is as close as it gets.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:49 AM

32,190 posts, read 33,097,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I was unaware greyhound offered bus service from the US to many cities in Mexico. it's significantly cheaper than flying. I wonder how that would be.
I believe Greyhound also offers bus service to some Canadian cities as well.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,130,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I believe Greyhound also offers bus service to some Canadian cities as well.
Yes, Greyhound Canada is the main bus carrier in rural Canada. I've taken it in Newfoundland.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,609,674 times
LMAO - We have the same thing as the Greyhound Service in Europe although it's known as National Express Coaches in the UK abd Eurolines for Internationakl Coach Travel from the UK. Coach travel is not a universally popular why to travel and most Europeans prefer other travel options if at all possible.

National Express Coaches // Coach, Rail & Bus Travel Throughout The UK

Eurolines International Coach Travel

There was even a song called the National Express by the Divine Comedy about a mentally ill individual who thinks he's a national express bus driver, with the national express route being the wards of the psychiatric hospital he's being pushed through by the psychiatric nurse. If that makes any sense to you what so ever - LOL.

National Express (song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Bamford; 06-09-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,752,569 times
You don't get searched, you don't get charged extra to check in a piece of luggage, the food is affordable, you don't have to show up 2 hours early.

It can be very convenient to use Greyhound -- if someone is picking you up and it takes them an hour to get to the airport each direction but 10 minutes to the Greyhound station it's better. You can also save a lot of money using city buses which are convenient to bus stations, but probably not convenient to airports. Now they have free WIFI and on many of the buses. You can jump on a bus in the evening and by morning be 600 miles away so it's good for those who like to travel and don't want to spend all their money.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
How many of you out there have rode the Greyhound before? Where did you go and would you do it again?
I've taken the Greyhound about a dozen times throughout my life and after each time I say never again. The buses are dirty, slow, and the seats are uncomfortable. My longest journey was from Toronto to New York, about 12 hours long, and I was never so bored and uncomfortable in my life. I find it impossible to sleep while sitting upright so I'm jealous of everybody else who seems to have no problem nodding off. I can't imagine taking a journey that spans several days like Miami to San Francisco. I hear the new modern buses have power outlets and wifi so the journey these days may be more tolerable with a laptop or tablet.

For some bizarre reason, most Greyhound stations are located in the most ghetto areas of our major cities. It's mainly the poor that seem to ride the buses as they have a reputation for being cheaper than flying, but that is not always the case. I remember one journey where all the passengers would pile off at each stop to spend $20 on junk food and snacks. After 5 stops that adds up to $100. You could have used that money to pay for the plane ticket in the first place! The fast food quickly stinks up the bus too, not to mention the toilet after a couple of hours. A lot of "undesirables" seem to ride the Greyhound as they don't have to go through airport style security. Some prisons use the buses to transport low risk prisoners between sites. I certainly would let my wife ride the buses alone. I'd be afraid to fall asleep in case my wallet/phone got robbed. Then there are the horror stories of decapitations on the Greyhound...

I'd rather pay double the price and fly instead. My time is more valuable and it's worth paying extra to travel in comfort and security. Luckily these days my budget can stretch to afford the plane so my Greyhound days are behind me. For those who absolutely must travel by bus, there are several other bus operators with a better reputation like Megabus to choose from. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing your stories.
How to win at long-distance bus travel:

If traveling from a familiar station on a familiar route:

Be at the gate at least 25 mins before departure, at least 30 during or around holidays.

Pay attention in case anything has changed.

If traveling from a non-familiar station and/or on a non-familiar route:

Be at the station at least 45 mins before departure.

When you arrive at the terminal, ask an employee if your baggage will need to be brought anywhere for a claim check or tag.

Be at the gate at least 25 mins before departure, at least 30 during or around holidays.

Pay attention to the other passengers at your gate, if none of them have luggage, you probably shouldn't either. Ask them where they dropped theirs and what they had to do beforehand. (Tags, claim check, etc.) If they all have tags or a claim check, you should too.

Be nice to all employees on the bus and at the bus station.

Bring food, books, entertainment, phone, etc. Take these AND CHARGERS out of any luggage BEFORE you get on the bus.

Sit in the front half of the bus.

Get your luggage off the bus as soon as you arrive at your destination.

Personally watch your luggage as it is moved by employees AT ANY TIME, IF POSSIBLE.

Finally, use common sense. Research stations before you book your trip. Familiarize yourself with their locations and the food choices around them. If you come across a station in a shady part of town, it may be a good idea to just stay in a well-lit, well-populated part of the station. Plan to eat at the station before or after it.

Safety in numbers. If you can, travel with a buddy.

If followed, these guidelines SHOULD generate a positive bus experience. However, like any mode of transportation, problems can happen on the bus or at the station. Don't expect perfection. You certainly wouldn't expect it from the airlines...

Old 08-14-2015, 10:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,441,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
How many of you out there have rode the Greyhound before? Where did you go and would you do it again?
I've taken the Greyhound about a dozen times throughout my life and after each time I say never again. The buses are dirty, slow, and the seats are uncomfortable. My longest journey was from Toronto to New York, about 12 hours long, and I was never so bored and uncomfortable in my life. I find it impossible to sleep while sitting upright so I'm jealous of everybody else who seems to have no problem nodding off. I can't imagine taking a journey that spans several days like Miami to San Francisco. I hear the new modern buses have power outlets and wifi so the journey these days may be more tolerable with a laptop or tablet.

For some bizarre reason, most Greyhound stations are located in the most ghetto areas of our major cities. It's mainly the poor that seem to ride the buses as they have a reputation for being cheaper than flying, but that is not always the case. I remember one journey where all the passengers would pile off at each stop to spend $20 on junk food and snacks. After 5 stops that adds up to $100. You could have used that money to pay for the plane ticket in the first place! The fast food quickly stinks up the bus too, not to mention the toilet after a couple of hours. A lot of "undesirables" seem to ride the Greyhound as they don't have to go through airport style security. Some prisons use the buses to transport low risk prisoners between sites. I certainly would let my wife ride the buses alone. I'd be afraid to fall asleep in case my wallet/phone got robbed. Then there are the horror stories of decapitations on the Greyhound...

I'd rather pay double the price and fly instead. My time is more valuable and it's worth paying extra to travel in comfort and security. Luckily these days my budget can stretch to afford the plane so my Greyhound days are behind me. For those who absolutely must travel by bus, there are several other bus operators with a better reputation like Megabus to choose from. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing your stories.
Oh many times, usually coast-to-coast.
Very rarely had minor problems, and never anything serious.
Other than traveling NY -> NC when I was 13 (to visit my brother in the Army), my first real bus trip was NY -> Los Angeles when I first moved away from home in 1978.
I hadn't traveled for many years when I took a bus in 1998, and found some changes.
First, people always used to be able to smoke on the buses, in the back; and second, you used to be able to turn in your bags when you bought your ticket and not deal with them again until you picked them up at your destination. I think having to deal with your under-bus baggage at every stop is a pain in the rear. Another change is there used to be nice long layovers so you could check out different places on your route, but my last few experiences didn't have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or