U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 AM

163 posts, read 196,486 times

Advertisements

How many of you out there have rode the Greyhound before? Where did you go and would you do it again?
I've taken the Greyhound about a dozen times throughout my life and after each time I say never again. The buses are dirty, slow, and the seats are uncomfortable. My longest journey was from Toronto to New York, about 12 hours long, and I was never so bored and uncomfortable in my life. I find it impossible to sleep while sitting upright so I'm jealous of everybody else who seems to have no problem nodding off. I can't imagine taking a journey that spans several days like Miami to San Francisco. I hear the new modern buses have power outlets and wifi so the journey these days may be more tolerable with a laptop or tablet.

For some bizarre reason, most Greyhound stations are located in the most ghetto areas of our major cities. It's mainly the poor that seem to ride the buses as they have a reputation for being cheaper than flying, but that is not always the case. I remember one journey where all the passengers would pile off at each stop to spend $20 on junk food and snacks. After 5 stops that adds up to $100. You could have used that money to pay for the plane ticket in the first place! The fast food quickly stinks up the bus too, not to mention the toilet after a couple of hours. A lot of "undesirables" seem to ride the Greyhound as they don't have to go through airport style security. Some prisons use the buses to transport low risk prisoners between sites. I certainly would let my wife ride the buses alone. I'd be afraid to fall asleep in case my wallet/phone got robbed. Then there are the horror stories of decapitations on the Greyhound...

I'd rather pay double the price and fly instead. My time is more valuable and it's worth paying extra to travel in comfort and security. Luckily these days my budget can stretch to afford the plane so my Greyhound days are behind me. For those who absolutely must travel by bus, there are several other bus operators with a better reputation like Megabus to choose from. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 05:10 AM

371 posts, read 284,397 times
I used to ride Greyhound often back when I was in my 20's. Longest ride was from Philadelphia to Las Vegas. I couldn't pass up that $79 special. I haven't rode one in about 15 years now. Yes, I did notice the ghetto locations of many of their bus stops. However, I never really felt unsafe, especially on the buses themselves. There are some colorful characters on board, but never had any real issues.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:33 AM

6,156 posts, read 6,324,492 times
I use to ride Greyhound between Washington and Montana when I was in college during the 70's. The bus I would take from Pasco, WA departed late at night. While the bus station was open, the baggage staff would be gone for the day. So we would have to carry our bags to the bus and have the driver tag and load them. One night the driver refused to load the bags. While he was inside we all carried our bags into the passenger compartment of the bus. The driver came out, took one look at all of our bags plugging up the aisle, and said we could not block the aisle with our bags. When we just sat there the driver said if we could not stow our bags then we would have to get off the bus. Someone on the bus told the driver he might as well call the cops as that was the only he was getting off the bus. The driver finally caved in and did his job and tagged the bags to be loaded below.

Another time we pulled into Missoula, MT for a meal stop. We all returned to the bus at the time the driver told us. No driver in sight. After we had been sitting on the bus for almost 30 minutes the station manager came out and told us the driver had gone to the hotel once he discovered he would be over duty by the time we got to Butte. There would be another driver here in 30 minutes. Turns out the replacement driver had never driven this route and only had some out of date maps showing where the bus stops were in each town. There were only 5 of us on the bus so we all sat near the front telling the driver where to go. 15 miles from Butte the driver got pulled over for speeding.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
I rode a Greyhound bus down to NYC just before Memorial Weekend. Seats were comfortable enough for five hours, and driver seemed friendly and polite. Wifi was a bit unreliable. Route is idiotic: a bus on local streets in Manhattan is painful slow. Would have been much faster for it dump us on the street somewhere in Upper Manhattan or a rail station in the suburbs. About 35 minutes for the last half mile.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Like the beheading and cannibal guy in Canada?! (His therapist is asking to leniency and early release from Prison, so he might be your seat mate soon!)

My last (and final ride) I had 3 guys skipping bail and running from probation officers. A couple axe murderers gleaming at me, and a family of 6 who looked like they were on their 5th trip across USA. screaming kids, No food, asking for money and very smelly clothes. I'm used to questionable and crowed Asia buses, but Greyhound seems to take first place in FEAR for your life due to other 'passengers'.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 AM

43 posts, read 54,750 times
I took Greyhound 3 times from NYC to Montreal and Toronto... I loved it! Cheap and great service and experience.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:44 AM

8,249 posts, read 11,115,794 times
There have been innumerable threads about the pros and cons of Greyhound.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:47 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Innumerable posts.

The OP lives in Phoenix where there are a good number of intercity bus lines other than Greyhound.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:38 AM

12,299 posts, read 15,196,725 times
Very rarely. Most recently (four years ago) from NY to Atlantic City. Not a bad ride. Of course that is relatively short.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,132 times
Yeah, Greyhound is far from being the greatest. I regularly use it from Sudbury to Toronto. I have also done Montreal to Sudbury and......Sudbury to Vancouver. Only cost $130.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or