U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hahahaha! I missed that!

Keeping the plane cool at 40000 feet? Hahahaha! It's about -75 outside the airplane.
lol!
You do know that air-planes have air conditioning units?

Bright light coming in from the windows create a green-house effect that can heat up the interior of the plane.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 PM

37,981 posts, read 55,740,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am flying back from Paris on a daytime flight in coach and we reach the part of the flight where pretty much everyone tries to rest or watch a video as we fly over the ocean. There is nothing to see out the window as we fly over clouds and water. 99% of the people on the flight have closed their window shades and it is dark in the cabin.

All except the man at the window seat in my row. (I was at the aisle two seats from him) He kept opening up his window shade to take a look outside. It flooded the airline cabin with light disturbing everyone and waking them up. He must have opened his window shade 20 times during the four hour period after lunch and decent towards landing.

I told him twice he was being rude but he did not acknowledge me.

Was he being rude or was that his right as a passenger at the window seat?
Don't ever fly with me! I always open the shade. I enjoy to watch whatever is to see, and I take pictures during the flight. I pay more for the window seat, and I have right to open the window shade.
I never heard anyone complaining about it, and never ever experienced staff INSISTING to close the shades.
The only rude person was you! Stop complaining!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
No, you're just being overly sensitive as usual.
Yup probably wasn't even Paris

Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 PM

9,207 posts, read 8,293,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
lol!
You do know that air-planes have air conditioning units?

Bright light coming in from the windows create a green-house effect that can heat up the interior of the plane.
Yes! But on the tarmac not at 40000 feet. Thermo-dynamics and all that.

I have sat on a tarmac in the islands where they do ask you to lower the shades to keep the plane cool. That is one sweaty mess and puddle hopper in the islands July-September!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,879,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So if a flight attendant told the man who kept opening and closing his window shade he was being rude then it is rude. But if I and other passengers complain then it is not rude?
?? My comment had nothing to do with whether or not if it was a FA or passenger that was making the request.

The only thing I said was I opened the window to view outside. Then a FA came by and asked me to close the window since it's letting in too much light for the people trying to watch the movie. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I don't understand why they do that though in a day flight. I book a window seat every time so I can see so irs annoying when I am made close it.

I mean whats the point in the window being there if it has to be closed?
This falls into the purview mannerisms and etiquette. I believe it's common not to play music without headphones on a plane. I don't believe anyone would let such a person get away by saying "you should've brought earplugs or noise cancelling headphones".

Or how someone saying they purchased an aisle seat so they can easily get out, but when someone on the inside wants to get out, the aisle guy responds "I'm not moving. You should've purchased an aisle seat then".

And yes, I have met people with that attitude... "you'll get out if I'm in the mood to let you out, otherwise, wait until the plane gets there". One has been in a case where that's been said out right. I've witnessed plenty of aisle passengers grumble, complain, mutter, or say to themselves in a very irritated voice "seriously?", "jesus", "wasn't once enough?".

Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,733,044 times
No crew member has ever asked me to close a shade, turn off a light -- .

I would never think to ask someone to do it either.

Personally no one signed me up to watch a movie or take a nap, especially on a day flight. I don't like to have artificial night imposed on me. I like the window. I might partially close it but that's as much of a compromise you get. I guess I'm lucky and never been on a plane where everyone wanted to be shut in the dark.

Plus I would no more expect everyone on a plane to stop having individual needs and preferences than I would on a bus or a train or any commercial transportation. We didn't join a club - it's a bunch of strangers with different tastes and needs and my expectations are that people will snore or read or have a conversation and I will have to find my comfort zone all by my grown up self.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:13 PM

8,778 posts, read 7,698,666 times
The OP is the rude one on that flight. Based on the other comments on this thread, I think I'm glad I gave up flying. If they made the cabin totally dark, how would one read? I don't watch much TV and have seen most of the movies I will ever want to see. Why would someone with an electronic device be preferred over a book reader?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:07 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,879,022 times
The cabin light and opening the window are 2 different results, practically night and day (pun intended)...

The spot light just shines directly down and has just enough illumination to read. Open a window, and the bright sun fills large portions of the cabin room, and will most definitely wash out the movie screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The OP is the rude one on that flight. Based on the other comments on this thread, I think I'm glad I gave up flying. If they made the cabin totally dark, how would one read? I don't watch much TV and have seen most of the movies I will ever want to see. Why would someone with an electronic device be preferred over a book reader?
As mentioned above, you're not riding in total darkness. The spotlight is fine. And yeah, I've seen a passenger get told by a FA that if he wants to read, please close the window and use the light instead.

[shrug] We could just as easily spin this on its head and accuse you of being selfish, inconsiderate, etc.... you have a cabin full of passengers who want to watch a movie. But since you want to see clouds and landscaping, their experience is ruined because of that. Like it or not, watching movies on commercial flights is one of the amenities.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,386,904 times
Telling someone else that they're being rude, when they're not, seems rather rude.

Personally, I would have my window shade open. At least, a bit. I'm not the most comfortable flyer, and I like to be able to see the horizon ... and not have a sensation that I'm sitting in a metal tube being tossed around in the sky.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Also, keeping window shades open builds up heat in the plane. Keeping shades down ... helps conserve energy.
At 30,000 feet, the air temperature outside the plane is probably below zero, which is why tropical mountaintops are snow-capped all year. By your logic, if you didn't let in the sunlight, the passengers would freeze to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or