U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:28 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I've never heard of such a thing or experienced it (I only travel internationally 3-4 times per year so perhaps that's why). But why would they? - if everyone's seat is reclined there's no difference in the space that you have, its just all shifted back 3 inches.
That's actually not correct. The table doesn't shift back because it's usually anchored at the bottom of the seat. So if the top of the seat is reclined back, it's over top of the table. It's the reason that I've nearly had laptop screens shattered when someone reclines.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:36 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
When it went from dark to extremely bright over and over and over it became non trivial. The man kept opening and closing it over and over and over again.

EVERYONE else on the plane had their shade down during this period.
Trivial...very trivial. If that was the worst part of your travel you are lucky.
If you need darkness I would also suggest what other posters have...carry a sleep mask with you.

There may have been perfectly logical reasons he did this, he knew everyone wanted it dark but he has claustrophobia, he was feeling ill, was looking for the horizon hence the up and down... or decided he was just going to pizz all the passengers off...who knows

Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,094,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I've never heard of such a thing or experienced it (I only travel internationally 3-4 times per year so perhaps that's why). But why would they? - if everyone's seat is reclined there's no difference in the space that you have, its just all shifted back 3 inches.

I'm surprised half of the people on here don't die of an aneurysm before the plane lands - you guys are way too uptight.
Interesting. I see the FA's asking people to sit upright during meal service on just about every long haul flight I am on (I am neither claiming it is right or wrong, it is just what they do). Presumably so the passenger can eat without the tray table all up in their business. Most of my long haul flights are to Europe and usually British Airways or Aer Lingus. Both airlines will actively ask passengers to sit up during meal service. YMMV with other airlines and other regions of the world.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't know why the OP even bothers to travel at all as, judging from his continual new threads, nothing seems to be pleasurable about any of his experiences whether it be the "foreigners", the food, the accommodations or the actual flight.
He's CD's own personal curmudgeon.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:05 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,387,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
He's CD's own personal curmudgeon.
It's a shame that someone who has the opportunity to travel either at home or abroad in his retirement years can find nothing whatsoever positive to relate about the experience but that every little trip is (if they actually even happen) followed up with only one negative story after another.

I live where tourism is the main base of the economy and often wonder why on earth some people bother to spend so much money stepping outside their little comfort zone when every little thing is so profoundly irritating. Buy a bloody great big flat screen TV and sit comfortably at home watching travel programs and videos.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:10 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's a shame that someone who has the opportunity to travel either at home or abroad in his retirement years can find nothing whatsoever positive to relate about the experience but that every little trip is (if they actually even happen) followed up with only one negative story after another.

I live where tourism is the main base of the economy and often wonder why on earth some people bother to spend so much money stepping outside their little comfort zone when every little thing is so profoundly irritating. Buy a bloody great big flat screen TV and sit comfortably at home watching travel programs and videos.
And he had also just posted how he went to an over-60 job fair and how depressing it was, but didn't he say the other week that he was an adjunct professor?

I'm not sure if they are lies or if he's got dementia.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
No, the OP is right, I witnessed the same behaviour on a red eye flight, pretty annoying and insensitive, maybe the regulations allow it, then I say *******s the regulations, why shouldn't it be a right for passengers not to be disturbed by the behaviour of one sole individual? moreover, opening and shutting constantly the shade is more disturbing than opening it once and for all, it makes me blink , and remember one is usually tired and oversensitive to this kind of details on long haul flights, where the merest lack of comfort which would be anecdotical in day to day life can become a major discomfort.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,387,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
No, the OP is right, I witnessed the same behaviour on a red eye flight, pretty annoying and insensitive, maybe the regulations allow it, then I say *******s the regulations, why shouldn't it be a right for passengers not to be disturbed by the behaviour of one sole individual?
Which begs the question already asked - why on earth wouldn't you wear a simple sleep mask? Or book the window seat. Good grief.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,133,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Was his right to do...
Yup.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM

8,630 posts, read 19,056,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That's actually not correct. The table doesn't shift back because it's usually anchored at the bottom of the seat. So if the top of the seat is reclined back, it's over top of the table. It's the reason that I've nearly had laptop screens shattered when someone reclines.

and reclining your seat (that you chose and paid for) is another right in which other passengers seem to think they have control over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or