U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM
gg

17,929 posts, read 18,248,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
When it went from dark to extremely bright over and over and over it became non trivial. The man kept opening and closing it over and over and over again.

EVERYONE else on the plane had their shade down during this period.
I think it would be better if you didn't fly anymore. If something like that bothers you, I think flying would be too much.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,280,805 times
I fly on over 200 flights per year and have been doing so for the last 13 years. I have never experienced an FA requesting anyone lower a window shade except on the tarmac. I have seldom witnessed an FA request someone move their seat upright except for takeoff and landing.

As for rights, the US declaration of Independence recognizes the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing about actually being happy is warrantied or even implied.

Group behavior is not an example of right or wrong. Lynchings were commonplace in various times of our history, but they were never considered right at any of those times. Your mamma told you you didnt have to jump off a bridge just because everyone else was doing it, didn't she? I suspect you didn't jump cause you are still here complaining today.

I will agree that opening and closing the shade regularly while the plane was dark was inconsiderate and rude, but still it was his right to do so. You have no constitutional protection against rudeness and no right to have it your way all the time. It was actually more rude for you to attempt to force your will on him rather that to politely request he be more accomodating to the rest of the passengers.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:15 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,303,176 times
That is what manners are all about. Looking at the rights of everyone who wanted to rest in the dark against the needs of the man who wanted to open the shade over and over again and look at water as we flew over the ocean.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 AM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'm surprised by the responses thus far. I opened the window to look out, and a flight attendant approached me in a few minutes and asked me to close the shade so that it wouldn't disturb others who are sleeping or trying to watch the in-flight movie. Worth mentioning was this was over 2 decades ago and I was kid then.
Not a comparable situation. You were a kid, and kids often don't think. He was an adult, and while he might have been being inconsiderate, he might also have needed to open his window shade. We'll never know.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Some people can't handle traveling and would be happier just staying home.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,968,321 times
Maybe he suffered from motion sickness. It gets worse when the fluid in your ears detect motion while your eyes cannot see anything moving, and thus send conflicting information to the brain. So it helps to open the windows and see the clouds move or any motion that will help reduce the sickness.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,387,722 times
Quote:
That is what manners are all about. Looking at the rights of everyone who wanted to rest in the dark against the needs of the man who wanted to open the shade over and over again and look at water as we flew over the ocean.
And your superior, well-traveled self still doesn't know about sleep shades? Manners go hand in hand with tolerance and the latter is something you seem totally devoid of.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,830,089 times
Quote:
Sorry, you just can't claim "manners". Any etiquette expert will tell you that telling someone they are "rude" is in fact rude.

He may have been inconsiderate, but there is certainly no rule that people have to close their shades on a daylight flight. I personally have never done so unless the sun is shining directly in my face. I have never been on any plane that asked passengers to close shades or turn off lights except a red eye or overnight flight when people are normally sleeping. I book the window seat because I like to look out. If there had been a rule about this, the flight attendant would have asked him to close it. The appropriate way to handle this would have been to politely ask if he would mind closing it. Then you might have learned his reason in having it open was to prevent vomiting into a bag in your presence, something I'm sure you would have found to be even more "rude". If you are uncomfortable asking politely, then ask the flight attendant to request he close it, or ask to be moved to another seat if possible.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:12 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,778,307 times
I think he's allowed to do it... opening and closing it repeatedly is prob more annoying than just leaving it open though.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Hmm maybe O/P was nodding off and snoring or worse yet his head was bobbing and drifting into window guys space and every time it happened he put the shade up to wake him up.....j/k

There could be any number of reasons for it and IMO trivial in the grand scheme of flying anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or