Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:18 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
No, not because I say so. But because the flight attendant is the ultimate arbiter as to whether or not the window shade should be kept raised or lowered. And the flight attended requests all shades to be lowered when there is blinding light outside. Also, keeping window shades open builds up heat in the plane. Keeping shades down ... helps conserve energy.

This is not any different from the crew asking seats to be straightened during meal service. While this is also not a hard-and-fast rule, it is quite strictly enforced.
If the light is so god damn bright how the frig do the pilots fly?

Get over it. They only close the windows on really long flights like Paris to Los Angeles. My last one was Belfast to Newark at 6 hours and everyone had their windows open.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:20 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I've been on a few long flights on which it was requested that people pull the window shades down. I thought that was kind of odd. If they didn't want people to be able to open and close the window shades at will, they should make window shades that automatically lock down when they want them closed. Otherwise, they should shut up.
If it was me i'd be really annoyed and close it but when they walked off open it again. (Except just a bit)

Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
I fly long haul flights fairly frequently and have never heard of this "rule" of shutting the shades when it is light outside. If I am not napping, there is a chance my shade will be open and I guarantee you many others are doing the same. Being that I don't get motion sickness nor am I claustrophobic, if my seat mate politely asked me to close the shade, I would but I am aware that I am not obligated to. If the OP (and others) feels so strongly about this, then why aren’t you choosing the window seat when you book your flight? It is up to the window seat occupant to determine when shades are open or closed, unless otherwise asked by a flight attendant (which I have never heard happen, usually it is just the "keep shades open for take off/landing"). This is why people travel with eye masks.

Now the reclining seats are a different story. On just about every flight I have been on, the attendants will request that everyone sits upright for meal service and I do see them go around personally telling people to sit up if they haven’t complied.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
I could care less if window passenger has shade up or down. What truly amazes me is the trivial crap people complain about

Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I could care less if window passenger has shade up or down. What truly amazes me is the trivial crap people complain about
When it went from dark to extremely bright over and over and over it became non trivial. The man kept opening and closing it over and over and over again.

EVERYONE else on the plane had their shade down during this period.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am flying back from Paris on a daytime flight in coach and we reach the part of the flight where pretty much everyone tries to rest or watch a video as we fly over the ocean. There is nothing to see out the window as we fly over clouds and water. 99% of the people on the flight have closed their window shades and it is dark in the cabin.

All except the man at the window seat in my row. (I was at the aisle two seats from him) He kept opening up his window shade to take a look outside. It flooded the airline cabin with light disturbing everyone and waking them up. He must have opened his window shade 20 times during the four hour period after lunch and decent towards landing.

I told him twice he was being rude but he did not acknowledge me.

Was he being rude or was that his right as a passenger at the window seat?
What do you think the window is for - for looking out at night only?

It was a daytime flight, so whats the big deal. I often look out the window on transatlantic flights. I like cloudscapes and the sea. And there's a chunk of the flight over the nova scotia /newfoundland area where there is plenty to see.

Wear an eye mask if you're going to sleep during the daytime.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am flying back from Paris on a daytime flight in coach and we reach the part of the flight where pretty much everyone tries to rest or watch a video as we fly over the ocean. There is nothing to see out the window as we fly over clouds and water. 99% of the people on the flight have closed their window shades and it is dark in the cabin.

All except the man at the window seat in my row. (I was at the aisle two seats from him) He kept opening up his window shade to take a look outside. It flooded the airline cabin with light disturbing everyone and waking them up. He must have opened his window shade 20 times during the four hour period after lunch and decent towards landing.

I told him twice he was being rude but he did not acknowledge me.

Was he being rude or was that his right as a passenger at the window seat?
This sounds like a First World problem to me.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:03 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I fly long haul flights fairly frequently and have never heard of this "rule" of shutting the shades when it is light outside. If I am not napping, there is a chance my shade will be open and I guarantee you many others are doing the same. Being that I don't get motion sickness nor am I claustrophobic, if my seat mate politely asked me to close the shade, I would but I am aware that I am not obligated to. If the OP (and others) feels so strongly about this, then why aren’t you choosing the window seat when you book your flight? It is up to the window seat occupant to determine when shades are open or closed, unless otherwise asked by a flight attendant (which I have never heard happen, usually it is just the "keep shades open for take off/landing"). This is why people travel with eye masks.

Now the reclining seats are a different story. On just about every flight I have been on, the attendants will request that everyone sits upright for meal service and I do see them go around personally telling people to sit up if they haven’t complied.
I've never heard of such a thing or experienced it (I only travel internationally 3-4 times per year so perhaps that's why). But why would they? - if everyone's seat is reclined there's no difference in the space that you have, its just all shifted back 3 inches.

I'm surprised half of the people on here don't die of an aneurysm before the plane lands - you guys are way too uptight.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
lol! You're the second person who has posted something similar.
What tropical mountaintop is @ 30,000 feet?
What airplane flies at an altitude where the air is hot? You're the one who said the shades have to be drawn to keep the interior of the plane cool.

Only about 17,000 feet is sufficient for mountains near the equator to be snow-capped, and airliners fly higher than that. At elevations higher than that, where airliners fly, the air is even colder., and when you fly up to 30,000, the ambient air doesn't get any warmer, even in the sun.

Did you take science in 6th grade, or did you elect band?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-03-2014 at 07:26 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I don't know why the OP even bothers to travel at all as, judging from his continual new threads, nothing seems to be pleasurable about any of his experiences whether it be the "foreigners", the food, the accommodations or the actual flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel