Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Do we REQUIRE that shade to be closed? NO. We are not the shade police. Of course, we might ask them to lower the shade if someone else in that row complains, but that does not make it a requirement for the window passenger to lower it. It is simply a request on our part.

Dont we risk arrest if we don't comply with a request from the flight crew?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
You cannot lean your seat back while meals are being served. Is this rule written anywhere? This too, is not compromising safety. However, air-hostesses enforce this every time meals are being served. I have seen them wake up passengers to get the seats to be straightened.
I know you believe this to be true, but i have never been asked to straighten my seat for meals. While I'm not an elite level flyer, I have flown far more than most people and do fly on a regular basis. Never once has that happened to me. Plus it's pretty arrogant to say that the "my seat my rules" group "doesn't know what they are talking about". Im sure you went on and offended others, but i got tired of reading. there is no written rule, then you are no more right or wrong than them, hence you too don't know what you are talking about. Maybe try saying things like, "in my experience..." or "I believe....", this is way less aggressive and leaves you plenty of room to be wrong with out looking like and ass, which is what happens when you just insist you are right and others are wrong on a subjective topic like this. Six smacks for you.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Did you take science in 6th grade, or did you elect band?

The great irony here is that you must have been gone the day they talked about radiant heating and energy transfer (heat). have you ever noticed that skiers in Colorado and other high mountain locations get sunburned really easy? How about the fact that they ski in T-shirts ? Yes, the ambient temperature at 30K feet is cold. But inside the cabin you aren't exposed to ambient temperature. There are many forces at work and that includes radiant heating which is reduced inside the plane if the covers are down. I'm not sure that reason enough to justify it, but its not impossible.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:05 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Number 1 rule of airline travel is play nice and if you can't, then ask the flight crew to intercede for you as the onus is then upon them and it doesn't become a game of who has more/less rights.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:11 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
You cannot tell someone who has a window seat that he cannot open the window shade. He has a right to look out the window if he so chooses. You should ask an attendant to seat you somewhere else, if possible.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:16 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
No, a REQUEST by flight crew is not the same as flight crew instructions. For example: we can ASK you to lower your window shades or bring your seat backs forward during meal service, but we will not require you to do so. But, we can REQUIRE you to remain seated if there is severe turbulence. One is a safety issue, one is a convenience/curtesy issue.

The only things that we REQUIRE you to do are things for YOUR OWN OR SAFETY OF OTHERS. Not being rude is not part of the rquirements. Honestly, I am not the rudeness police, but I AM the safety police. We want you to arrive safely.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I can understand a case like this, but would you enforce it and be very firm about it if people were trying to watch a movie? The door opening in a movie theatre can certainly get on people's nerves there.

I've heard arguments here that "I have no interest in the movie, why should I have to close my window shade?". Well, like it or not, the in-flight movie is apart of the package. If there are technical problems, whatever, we complain to the head office. But in this case, I wouldn't believe that opening the window has precedence over a movie that is keeping a majority entertained vs. a window that's only accommodating you and a few others.
I watched three movies in a row with the window shade open next to me on my last long haul.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
The OP has never posted anything positive about his alleged trips overseas so this thread is no surprise at all. His travel threads have included his complaints that in Paris he couldn't get cold soft drinks with ice, he arrived dead tired in Europe at 7AM so what should he do, he is "philosophically against" flying on foreign airlines, can't abide "narrow body" international flights and also had much to say about some Northern Europeans who he deemed very cold and unwelcoming. And I probably missed a few. Not one bright spot to share. Some people really should simply stay home.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
It is very apparent the OP is a me, me, me person. They want everyone to give up their rights, to allow the OP to go on in their own way, without any regard for what other people want.

OP infringed on the window seat occupants rights, when he wanted him/her to close his/her window shade. The OP probably booked to get a window seat, so he/she could look out of the window. Many passengers enjoy this.

If the OP wants dark to sleep, then instead of expecting other passengers to lower the shade to suit their wants and infringe on the window seats desire to look out. If is up to the OP to provide their own method of dark, with black out mask, etc., not expect other people to give up their pleasure of looking out the window.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
If you don't want the shade open, why did you get a window seat?

I personally prefer my shade open, especially when there's land in sight. I pick the window seat every time I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel