Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 03:58 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't have any expectations of the plane being dark during a day time flight. Maybe he has anxiety and or was feeling sick and needed to see outside. You really don't know. I know hash tags don't apply to CD, but I think one is necessary #firstworldproblems

Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Yes, I am very surprised by the responses here too. Not sure how many of these posters have travelled on long haul flights.

I paid for the window seat = my rules .... is stupid and incorrect! There are many things you cannot do on a plane, and one of them is open the window and get in blinding light while it is dark. The air-hostess will immediately ask you to close the window! Especially if someone complains!

Just like you are asked to straighten your seat when meals are served. Again, my seat does not equal my rules.
I have traveled on long distance flights. The cabin attendant will usually make an announcement requesting that shades be closed if a movie is being shown. That doesn't seem to be the case here, the OP never said it was. It was a daylight flight, so if people wanted to sleep, the onus is on them to make sure their little world is dark enough, via an eye mask.

And, any complaints about fellow passengers should be relayed through the flight attendants.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
My thoughts exactly!! The flight crew sets the rules and everyone is supposed to follow them, regardless of how stupid they may be or how much one paid for his or her seat. In this case, the OP should have told a crew member and the crew member should have corrected the passenger. I do understand if one is feeling sick and needs to see out, but other than that I have no sympathy.
In all my years of flying I have never heard a crewmember say there was a rule requiring window shades be kept closed. Have never seen it posted on airline websites. Opening a window shade does not compromise safety or is threating to the crew. At most it is just annoying and perhaps inconsiderate. But then so is leaning your seat back when there someone seated behind you. I would much rather the person next to me open his window shade than have the person in front of me lean their seat back.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:05 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
In all my years of flying I have never heard a crewmember say there was a rule requiring window shades be kept closed. Have never seen it posted on airline websites. Opening a window shade does not compromise safety or is threating to the crew. At most it is just annoying and perhaps inconsiderate. But then so is leaning your seat back when there someone seated behind you. I would much rather the person next to me open his window shade than have the person in front of me lean their seat back.
In all your years of flying has anyone ever opened a window while it was DARK inside?

You cannot lean your seat back while meals are being served. Is this rule written anywhere? This too, is not compromising safety. However, air-hostesses enforce this every time meals are being served. I have seen them wake up passengers to get the seats to be straightened.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have traveled on long distance flights. The cabin attendant will usually make an announcement requesting that shades be closed if a movie is being shown. That doesn't seem to be the case here, the OP never said it was. It was a daylight flight, so if people wanted to sleep, the onus is on them to make sure their little world is dark enough, via an eye mask.

And, any complaints about fellow passengers should be relayed through the flight attendants.

I agree about the complaint bit. But once the atmosphere is thin at high altitude, the sun-light is too bright, especially in a dark plane. At this point, the crew will ask you to shut the window shade. This is not up for debate.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
In all your years of flying has anyone ever opened a window while it was DARK inside?

You cannot lean your seat back while meals are being served. Is this rule written anywhere? This too, is not compromising safety. However, air-hostesses enforce this every time meals are being served. I have seen them wake up passengers to get the seats to be straightened.
I have seen window shades opened many times when it was DARK inside. Not once did a flight attendant come over and tell them they had to close the shade.

I have seen flight attendants ask a passenger to raise their seat during meal time. However they could care less if someone leans their seat back during the rest of the flight.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:03 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am flying back from Paris on a daytime flight in coach and we reach the part of the flight where pretty much everyone tries to rest or watch a video as we fly over the ocean. There is nothing to see out the window as we fly over clouds and water. 99% of the people on the flight have closed their window shades and it is dark in the cabin.

All except the man at the window seat in my row. (I was at the aisle two seats from him) He kept opening up his window shade to take a look outside. It flooded the airline cabin with light disturbing everyone and waking them up. He must have opened his window shade 20 times during the four hour period after lunch and decent towards landing.

I told him twice he was being rude but he did not acknowledge me.

Was he being rude or was that his right as a passenger at the window seat?
Well thats what i'll be doing on my flight soon to see out.

Some of us like to see the world. I don't think it was ignorant after all it is a day flight.. Its not all about you.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:06 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'm surprised by the responses thus far. I opened the window to look out, and a flight attendant approached me in a few minutes and asked me to close the shade so that it wouldn't disturb others who are sleeping or trying to watch the in-flight movie. Worth mentioning was this was over 2 decades ago and I was kid then.
I don't understand why they do that though in a day flight. I book a window seat every time so I can see so irs annoying when I am made close it.

I mean whats the point in the window being there if it has to be closed?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I don't understand why they do that though in a day flight. I book a window seat every time so I can see so irs annoying when I am made close it.

I mean whats the point in the window being there if it has to be closed?
One thing to note is that depending on the position of the sun relative to the plane, and given the fact that the atmosphere is thin at 30,000 feet -- the sun light can be blinding.

And what are you going to see on a long haul flight that spends all it's time over water? You cannot see anything a few hours into the flight.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I have seen window shades opened many times when it was DARK inside. Not once did a flight attendant come over and tell them they had to close the shade.

I have seen flight attendants ask a passenger to raise their seat during meal time. However they could care less if someone leans their seat back during the rest of the flight.
I have only seen little kids open window shades while it is dark inside and everyone is sleeping. And they are asked to close it almost immediately......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel