U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:06 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Flexible can mean anything.

Flexible on dates, flexible on not being on the same flight, flexible on class of service (i usually always dress and list for First), flexible on destination city, flexible on time (I had once where I flew into ORD and then waited 48 hours to get to my final destination in Ireland)
You just hit on a good point--the availability of three standby tickets on a given flight is going to be very, very slim during the peak travel months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 PM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I am a grandparent, and a traveler who would not ever fly standby with a 3 year old child. Your husband is saving money at the expense of the other travelers who paid full price.
In fairness, the other passengers are going to be put out by the baby regardless of what price everyone pays. A 3 year old on a long flight is a problem regardless of whether they are flying stand by, coach or business class.

The lady has a sick father in foreign country, a job, a full time job, a 3 year old baby, a husband who is probably a bit over controlling and a budget. Cut her a little slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You just hit on a good point--the availability of three standby tickets on a given flight is going to be very, very slim during the peak travel months.
I agree with annerk on this.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
I don't understand this thread at all. Is the OP talking about flying as a non-rev (i.e as an airline employee)? I didn't think airlines still sold discount "standby" tickets. That's ancient history. Standby today simply means you missed your flight and have to try to make the next flight...or you are trying to get an early flight. Otherwise it has nothing to do with the air fare or discount. I guess maybe some airlines may still have this feature.

OP - what airline is this?

EDIT - Ok I see a post saying he is an aircraft engineer...so this is a sort of nonrev condition not open to the general public.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:16 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,968,610 times
Quote:
I was once stuck in Phoenix-- and saw a family of 5 all flying standby. They had been there the entire day. I opted to fly to DFW, overnighted at an airport hotel and then went to my final destination the next day. I have to wonder when that family ever got home or if they did.

One thing I didn't really mention-- is the priority and the airline.

The non-airline employee may not be flying at the same status as the airline employee (or she may-- every airline has its own rules). Even when I worked for an airline for a year, I never flew on a ZED fare since I just felt uncomfortable with not knowing what my status would be in the other airline's non rev policies. My mom's airline gives me some additional options based on my relationship to her (the type of non rev person I am) and at least I have a very good idea of my chances.

Before taking that kind of trip, I would make sure I REALLY understood how all of the family would be classed and what priority they would receive in the whole standby mix.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:22 PM

989 posts, read 2,474,286 times
Growing up, we got stuck in Denver more times than I care to count (overnight, for several days, etc). The gate agents at my moms airline in Denver were notorious for not being the friendliest group (that being said, they DO have some of the worst jobs in the universe).

When I aged out of the good standby tickets, I had three full fare tickets from Aspen to IAD through Denver on my moms old airline. There was an incident at Aspen airport which closed the airport for several hours. We made it to Denver in time for the last flight of the night, which we had to stand by for since our flight was long gone. There were "only two seats left"- when my son found out we would have to split up and one would have to stay in the airport overnight he burst into tears (he was about three at the time). The gate agent took one look at him and "found" a third open seat. Needless to say we had to do some maneuvering once on the plane so our three year old didn't end up in the middle seat between strangers. And we were full fare paying passengers.

My parents still use their benefits a LOT. And they still have problems, even with her seniority. But her airlines flights go out full or are oversold frequently (and retirees dont have the status they once did). She has told me that in Europe there tends to be many more open seats on planes.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 AM
gg

17,930 posts, read 18,255,148 times
Enjoy the adventure and embrace it. Your husband is in the business and I would just go with it and have fun. If it gets a little wild, enjoy the experience and learn.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Enjoy the adventure and embrace it. Your husband is in the business and I would just go with it and have fun. If it gets a little wild, enjoy the experience and learn.
You forget that there is a three year old involved. They don't just go with the flow like adults do.

On top of it, what if there are two seats so mother and child can both fly on the same flight, but both are middle seats 23 rows apart? Do not expect others to give up their aisle or window to accommodate on a long haul. At least if they fly on booked tickets they can reserve the bulkhead row so the child can have play space on the floor at their feet during the flight.

mod cut

Last edited by golfgal; 06-04-2014 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: not necessary

Old 06-04-2014, 12:32 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,145,183 times
Thank you all. So, I spoke to him yesterday again and reiterated that the chances of us flying together are slim. He asked me how do I know better than him (him working with an airline and have colleagues who frequently do this thing and me working with ..lets say, non-airlines). I kept quite.
He is still insisting we have SO many options from Toronto International Airport (this is where we live). Lets see.
Like I said, what I think doesnt really matter; i just have to convince myself. I will update you all after our trip, I will be returning late sept.

In all honesty, I have a very bad feeling about this.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:33 PM

16,720 posts, read 14,699,211 times
I'm sorry your husband is such a control freak.

{{hugs}}

I hope it all works out for you.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:36 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,145,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Flexible can mean anything.

Flexible on dates, flexible on not being on the same flight, flexible on class of service (i usually always dress and list for First), flexible on destination city, flexible on time (I had once where I flew into ORD and then waited 48 hours to get to my final destination in Ireland)
was there at east once you made it on time? This is scaring me even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In fairness, the other passengers are going to be put out by the baby regardless of what price everyone pays. A 3 year old on a long flight is a problem regardless of whether they are flying stand by, coach or business class.

The lady has a sick father in foreign country, a job, a full time job, a 3 year old baby, a husband who is probably a bit over controlling and a budget. Cut her a little slack.

I agree with annerk on this.
Thanks a lot.
Quote:
You forget that there is a three year old involved. They don't just go with the flow like adults do.

On top of it, what if there are two seats so mother and child can both fly on the same flight, but both are middle seats 23 rows apart? Do not expect others to give up their aisle or window to accommodate on a long haul. At least if they fly on booked tickets they can reserve the bulkhead row so the child can have play space on the floor at their feet during the flight.

mod cut
Actually, with my experience, people are more friendly than what I expected with a kid. Of course, when she was a baby, we booked (yes yes, fully confirmed ticket) the front row which comes with that bassinet. It was good. This time, she is way too big for that. But if it comes to a point there is not single person who is willing exchange seats for me (or him) to be able to sit alongside my daughter, I will simply place her in my lap.

I have to mention one more thing though. A few months ago, we flew to Orlando (fully confirmed, full-price ticket). Somehow, we missed checking in online and by the time we went to airport, we were only given seats far apart. So, apparently, even if you do book, there is no guarentee we will get seats together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or