U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:38 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,143,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm sorry your husband is such a control freak.

{{hugs}}

I hope it all works out for you.
, thanks. I hope I didnt project him in completely bad light. He is really good, its just that, he expects me to be on the same page as him all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
was there at east once you made it on time? This is scaring me even more.

Thanks a lot.

Actually, with my experience, people are more friendly than what I expected with a kid. Of course, when she was a baby, we booked (yes yes, fully confirmed ticket) the front row which comes with that bassinet. It was good. This time, she is way too big for that. But if it comes to a point there is not single person who is willing exchange seats for me (or him) to be able to sit alongside my daughter, I will simply place her in my lap.

I have to mention one more thing though. A few months ago, we flew to Orlando (fully confirmed, full-price ticket). Somehow, we missed checking in online and by the time we went to airport, we were only given seats far apart. So, apparently, even if you do book, there is no guarentee we will get seats together?
It's not that easy. They will not allow your three year old to sit in your lap. Period.

If you book in advance and check in more than a few hours before the flight, you will get the seats you booked, barring extenuating circumstances like a change of equipment.

People will be much more considerate and pleasant towards someone with an infant and someone with a cranky, squirmy three year old. Infants can't kick, three year olds sure can. Plus there is no way that you can sit for 12+ hours with a three year old in your lap. Let's be realistic here.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I don't understand this thread at all. Is the OP talking about flying as a non-rev (i.e as an airline employee)? I didn't think airlines still sold discount "standby" tickets. That's ancient history. Standby today simply means you missed your flight and have to try to make the next flight...or you are trying to get an early flight. Otherwise it has nothing to do with the air fare or discount. I guess maybe some airlines may still have this feature.

OP - what airline is this?

EDIT - Ok I see a post saying he is an aircraft engineer...so this is a sort of nonrev condition not open to the general public.
I assume this is a non-rev ticket of an airline employee which means the flights can only be booked standby. Standby means one gets whatever seats are available when all the regular paying passengers have boarded the flight. An airline employee non-rev ticket usually means that the ticket holder can check-in their baggage for free. If one doesn't get on a particular flight and there is another flight the same day the checked-in baggage will be transferred accordingly if the passenger/s lists themselves for that next flight. If there no other relevant flight available that day usually the passenger/s can pick up their checked-in baggage where arriving passengers of that airline pick-up their baggage. Of course, it is more difficult to travel this way when one isn't traveling solo. But it is possible sometimes for all the same family group traveling together to board the same plane although during peak travel times this is difficult if the airline employee isn't senior in the company (as seniority counts for who boards first and get those available seats). An advantage that the employee has is usually s/he can see on the airline employee booking system how many standby passengers there are listed on a flight, their seniority and where s/he is on that list and therefore what his/her chances of boarding that flight are.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:45 PM

12,252 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I assume this is a non-rev ticket of an airline employee which means the flights can only be booked standby. Standby means one gets whatever seats are available when all the regular paying passengers have boarded the flight. An airline employee non-rev ticket usually means that the ticket holder can check-in their baggage for free. If one doesn't get on a particular flight and there is another flight the same day the checked-in baggage will be transferred accordingly if the passenger/s lists themselves for that next flight. If there no other relevant flight available that day usually the passenger/s can pick up their checked-in baggage where arriving passengers of that airline pick-up their baggage. Of course, it is more difficult to travel this way when one isn't traveling solo. But it is possible sometimes for all the same family group traveling together to board the same plane although during peak travel times this is difficult if the airline employee isn't senior in the company (as seniority counts for who boards first and get those available seats). An advantage that the employee has is usually s/he can see on the airline employee booking system how many standby passengers there are listed on a flight, their seniority and where s/he is on that list and therefore what his/her chances of boarding that flight are.
Oh I know non-revs and know how it works from FlyerTalk. On international flights business class is full of them. Me I'm just a lowly paying customer, Delta Platinum Million Miler, so I sit in back. But at least I am guaranteed a seat.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:46 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,181,299 times
I am sure the relevant points have been mentioned already. Flying stand-by can be good or bad. If you're a major carrier employee, it can be great, otherwise it can be a lot of in-the-dark sitting and waiting. If you need any info on Delta or their connection carriers, let me know.

Good luck and safe travels.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,727,955 times
I flew military standby when I was in the military ( years back)

You had to be in uniform, have a copy of your orders ( or leave papers) and the ticket discount was 50%

I was alone and it still was stressful

Old 06-06-2014, 05:55 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I am sure the relevant points have been mentioned already. Flying stand-by can be good or bad. If you're a major carrier employee, it can be great, otherwise it can be a lot of in-the-dark sitting and waiting. If you need any info on Delta or their connection carriers, let me know.

Good luck and safe travels.
If one is a senior airline employee it is okay. Otherwise, it is a major waiting game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I flew military standby when I was in the military ( years back)

You had to be in uniform, have a copy of your orders ( or leave papers) and the ticket discount was 50%

I was alone and it still was stressful
Years ago, I flew stand-by using tickets bought from company called "Air-Hitch" (which no longer exists). One was charged a standard well-reduced fee for one's ticket and then one had to list themselves on a flight of one the airlines that they worked with a few hours before the flight and hope that there was a seat available according to their spot on the list after all the full paying passengers boarded. It was kind of stressful as there one really couldn't know in advance what their chances were of boarding the flight or not.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,181,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If one is a senior airline employee it is okay. Otherwise, it is a major waiting game.
It is always a waiting game, but the game can be played if you're smart.

I've been stuck in airports for days waiting for seats and I've also saved countless dollars on flights. It's a gamble.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:22 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,165,592 times
Prepare for the worst case scenario (stuck in an airport)...anything else will seem wonderful compared to that. I look at it as "Adventures in Travelling!" My wife does not share my carefree view. Just flew last week from the east coast to Las Vegas. Going there, I hit the best case scenario and never spent no more than a half hour in each of 3 airports, and arrived in LV way ahead of what I had planned. Coming back was more of a challenge...but still got back by midnight.

Total Cost: $0.00

Sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or