U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,146,453 times
Reputation: 834

Advertisements

All, I am going to travel stand-by along with my husband and a 3 year old in September to one of the Asian counties. I am not comfortable with this set up at all as I really want the whole family to travel together, specially since its a long flight/commute.
But i dont have a choice. my husband made up his mind we will be traveling stand-by.

What are the things I should be prepared for? Also, the check-in baggage, how much am I allowed if I am traveling stand-by?

Please help me out; I am getting nightmares thinking about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2014, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Beachwood, OH
1,136 posts, read 1,454,593 times
Reputation: 972
Baggage works the same as regular customers - you pay per bag or however your airline does it.

As far as being prepared, it's not different if you get on the flight you think you'll get on. Your best bet is to plan for the flight with the most available seats and then know a lot of backup options to get where you want to go. Being flexible is key, which isn't going to be easy with a 3 year old. You may not get on flight after flight (particularly if you have to connect through somewhere) and could end up at the airport for a long time.

I once tried for the very first flight of the day at 7:00 am-ish and didn't get on a flight until the last one of the day at 9:00 pm-ish. There were 6-7 flights during the day and I basically sat at the airport in between them. Just me, which was whatever. I can't imagine doing it with a kid (and I have kids).

I assume your husband is a counter-person or something because my impression is that pilots/flight attendants have a better feel for this than it seems he does (or maybe he just hasn't explained it well to you). Personally, I'd make sure there are generally a lot of open seats on the flights you're planning on taking as this increases your likelihood of getting on and if there aren't, I'd scrap it and go somewhere else that's closer/driveable/etc.

Personally, I wouldn't even try to travel internationally with a kid that age (routine, time difference, etc.) and I'd be even less likely to do it on standby, but YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,082 posts, read 19,036,218 times
Reputation: 24207
Why is your husband insisting on this? Does he get free fares from his job through the airline under a standby arrangement?

If not, I'd tell him to go by himself while I stay home with the baby. I suspect it would be a welcome vacation from somebody who sounds unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 02:34 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,146,453 times
Reputation: 834
Thanks a lot. He is an aircrafts engineer and works at the airport. He is saying everyone does it and he wants to give it a try. Actually, we did fly international on standby 3 times before but they were all direct flights with no connecting flight business. And they were also under 4 hours. So we were ok. He is saying, there is Cathy Pacific, Emirates, Birtish Airlines and Air Canada flying out on the same day and he says Sept is low time, we should be able to do it.

I am terrified; if I was traveling alone, maybe I could have been ok.

So, with the 3 of us, we are still allowed 3 check in bags right? That's what we are allowed if we pay full price.

Last edited by Maila; 06-02-2014 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 02:35 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,146,453 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why is your husband insisting on this? Does he get free fares from his job through the airline under a standby arrangement?

If not, I'd tell him to go by himself while I stay home with the baby. I suspect it would be a welcome vacation from somebody who sounds unreasonable.
Well, the full price for tickets are coming up to $6500. Stand by is coming to $1800. That's why he is insisting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 02:46 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,840,183 times
Reputation: 16494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Well, the full price for tickets are coming up to $6500. Stand by is coming to $1800. That's why he is insisting.
Can't say I blame him. That's a significant savings, and not unreasonable to give it a shot and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 02:53 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,146,453 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Can't say I blame him. That's a significant savings, and not unreasonable to give it a shot and hope for the best.
Yes. Though I am not comfortable at all with this arrangement, I said ok because I should try it at least once to see how it goes because he is so sure it will work out. How can I say no when he is so sure? So I gave in.

So that's why I want to be prepared what to expect. My biggest worry is that, if there is only one seat available, he is asking me to take it and they (DH and daughter) will meet me at the destination. I want my daughter to be with me. He is a wonderful dad but I want her with me.
Am I being unreasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Ashburn, VA
989 posts, read 2,475,441 times
Reputation: 638
I grew up flying standby (mom was a flight attendant). Try to be very flexible in your plans. Back in the day I called the airline and asked them what my best bet getting home from New Zealand was (one flight per day) and gave them a one week range (this was pre-internet). They gave me the best option and I got the very last seat on the plane. I've spent many a night in airports. The trade off is that I got to experience places I could never have afforded to go.

Always have the plan of what happens if there aren't enough seats available. I've traveled where we've split up and met each other and where we've waited it out to be on the same flight. It will be very nerve racking up until they close the door and back up from the jetway (I've been kicked off planes when late passengers have shown up after I've already been assigned a seat and am sitting in it). I've also gotten assigned a seat on a plane that then had subsequent mechanical issues. If they take the plane out of commission they have to reroute all the paying passengers. That can delay a standby seat for days.

I don't want to scare you. I always made it to my destination, it just took longer sometimes. And you have to be very flexible. And look at it as an adventure. If you have to be somewhere at a certain time or home from somewhere at a certain time I would not recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 PM
 
2,563 posts, read 2,794,260 times
Reputation: 3479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
All, I am going to travel stand-by along with my husband and a 3 year old in September to one of the Asian counties. I am not comfortable with this set up at all as I really want the whole family to travel together, specially since its a long flight/commute.
But i dont have a choice. my husband made up his mind we will be traveling stand-by.

What are the things I should be prepared for? Also, the check-in baggage, how much am I allowed if I am traveling stand-by?

Please help me out; I am getting nightmares thinking about this.
One time, I was traveling between the USA and Bangkok, and I had to change my flight. I couldn't get the date I wanted except by booking standby on the return flight to the USA. The girl selling me the ticket told me it "wouldn't be a problem." Unfortunately, it was a problem. My plane was to leave Bangkok at 9 AM, and that meant going to the airport very early to "standby." I didn't get on my flight the first day. I didn't get on my flight the second day. I didn't get on my flight the third day. Finally, I asked when the next available flight would be that I absolutely could get on, and they gave me a date two or three weeks in the future. In the end, I think I got on the flight on day four. But maybe I was lucky. I would never do that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 AM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,146,453 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post

I don't want to scare you. I always made it to my destination, it just took longer sometimes. And you have to be very flexible. And look at it as an adventure. If you have to be somewhere at a certain time or home from somewhere at a certain time I would not recommend it.
Thank you. I have one more question, if you are bumped off from the flight in the last minute, what happens to the check in baggage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
One time, I was traveling between the USA and Bangkok, and I had to change my flight. I couldn't get the date I wanted except by booking standby on the return flight to the USA. The girl selling me the ticket told me it "wouldn't be a problem." Unfortunately, it was a problem. My plane was to leave Bangkok at 9 AM, and that meant going to the airport very early to "standby." I didn't get on my flight the first day. I didn't get on my flight the second day. I didn't get on my flight the third day. Finally, I asked when the next available flight would be that I absolutely could get on, and they gave me a date two or three weeks in the future. In the end, I think I got on the flight on day four. But maybe I was lucky. I would never do that again.
Gosh....with a 3 year old, wouldn that be a nightmare. My poor dear, she will already be struggling to cope with time zones.

Shall I put my foot down and say No to husband and push him into booking full price? Or should I just try it once without brushing him off, as he is sooo sure we will do just fine?

I feel torn and anxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top