Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the post. I don't have much interest in Iran but I want to go to Egypt and Lebanon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 06:31 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times
What is your motivation? I don't believe a word of this BS.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
That still doesn't answer the query as to why it was brought up at all? Did she sit down with a group of Jews and have a discussion with them?
I can tell you why I brought it up - again, since you still don't seem to understand. My paternal grandparents were Jewish and members of my family were "terrified" - that is the exact term one relative used when I mentioned my trip - that if Iranians found out I had a Jewish ancestor, I would be in dire trouble with the government. I'm not religious and I don't discuss my religious leanings or lack thereof with strangers anywhere, anyway. But because there is such a strong perception that Jews are persecuted in Iran, I thought it was reasonable to point out that the situation is very different than what most people think, based on what I learned on my trip from talking to Iranians.

I don't understand why YOU are having such a hard time understanding a visitor making a TRAVEL-related observation meant to encourage people to visit a place *in spite of* what they may have been told about how their religion may affect their welcome by the Iranian people, some of whom are Jews who have made the choice to remain there. My comment about them staying in spite of monetary incentives to leave was NOT A POLITICAL DIG at Israel but evidence that Jews in Iran feel safe and connected to their country. THAT is why it was "brought up at all."

I'm not going to continue this discussion, but of course you're free to keep blasting away at me for something you clearly can't seem to understand. Thanks to everyone who was able to grasp the point of my post, which was that I had a very interesting and enjoyable trip, that the country is safe when approached with common sense appropriate to the challenges, and I hope the information is useful to anyone contemplating visiting Iran.

Last edited by ukiyo-e; 06-03-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
What is your motivation? I don't believe a word of this BS.
Are you talking to me? My motivation is to tell people what a wonderful trip I had, a feeling shared by all of us on the tour, because some people on C-D have previously expressed an interest in going...and why in the world would you accuse me of BS when I just returned from a great vacation? What possible reason would I have to lie? If I'd had a crappy time you can believe I'd warn people away so they wouldn't waste their time and money. As it is, tourism is booming there and many hotels are booked into 2016 (though tour companies still have slots as they book rooms well ahead of time), so it's not like the country needs me to be a cheerleader. The New York Times and LA Times ran articles last fall about how Iran is courting more American tourists - the word is getting out, and from bigger voices than mine.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I can tell you why I brought it up - again, since you still don't seem to understand. My paternal grandparents were Jewish and members of my family were "terrified" - that is the exact term one relative used when I mentioned my trip - that if Iranians found out I had a Jewish ancestor, I would be in dire trouble with the government. I'm not religious and I don't discuss my religious leanings or lack thereof with strangers anywhere, anyway. But because there is such a strong perception that Jews are persecuted in Iran, I thought it was reasonable to point out that the situation is very different than what most people think, based on what I learned on my trip from talking to Iranians.

I don't understand why YOU are having such a hard time understanding a visitor making a TRAVEL-related observation meant to encourage people to visit a place *in spite of* what they may have been told about how their religion may affect their welcome by the Iranian people, some of whom are Jews who have made the choice to remain there. My comment about them staying in spite of monetary incentives to leave was NOT A POLITICAL DIG at Israel but evidence that Jews in Iran feel safe and connected to their country. THAT is why it was "brought up at all."

I'm not going to continue this discussion, but of course you're free to keep blasting away at me for something you clearly can't seem to understand. Thanks to everyone who was able to grasp the point of my post, which was that I had a very interesting and enjoyable trip, that the country is safe when approached with common sense appropriate to the challenges, and I hope the information is useful to anyone contemplating visiting Iran.
As per my previous quotes in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
...But was it really necessary to throw in a anti-Israel political remark into it?...

....As to the Jews in Iran, as long as they don't show any pro-Israel intents and keep to themselves then they are left alone.
In my experience, there is no perception (by Jews) that Jews are persecuted in Iran. The perception is that the gov't is using them as pawns, in a manner of speaking, in their political games. YOU are reading to much into my comment and looking for things I didn't type. So its thus YOU who are blasting away on a tangent based on a small remark I made in relation to your post.

further reading fwiw:
Iran

Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 PM

New doors opening for travel to Iran | Seattle Globalist

Old 06-03-2014, 11:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:

......." the country is safe".....

Yup, especially with govt guides ( censors ) assigned to each group.

Denis Rodman swears North Korea is " safe" also.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:11 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:

Bravo!!! Great rebuttal

Another poster asked and I second the request....any pictures????

Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Very interesting, and a lot different than how I imagined it would be. When I think of Iran, my first impression is of all the hate-filled men chanting in the streets against America that the media shows. I'm really surprised to hear differently. Glad you had a good time, and thanks for sharing.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 AM

231 posts, read 264,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Do you have any pictures? That was interesting to read. I always think of Iran as a huge no no place to travel to and that it would be very dangerous for an American woman to go to. I am not sure I have the guts even after reading about your great experience. Thanks for sharing with us! Sorry some people are so nit picky and take any opportunity to argue!

It's great if OP has photos to share. If an american woman travels to Iran (or man), you will get nothing but love and hospitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel