U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 05:41 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,446,319 times

Advertisements

So, depending on my career circumstances (aka not having a job lol) , I might be able to travel starting in July for a prolonged period of time. I've done a fair amount of traveling, 23 countries and 4 continents.

Last October thru December (57 days), I went thru Western and some of Eastern Europe with my GF at the time. I planned the entire trip on my own. Started from Madrid and ended in Istanbul.

From there, I went on a guided tour thru STA Travel (great company) of Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. This tour lasted 21 days. I realized during this tour, I hate not being able to do what I want. I was able to do things I couldn't swing on my own but it was much more expensive.

I'm thinking if I go traveling again, on my own this time, I should do a travel vlog. I had alot of people ask me when I came back how I planned everything. To me, it was simple thanks to the internet but I guess not.

My initial route would be some Canada (Toronto and Montreal) followed by N. Europe then to Western Spain down to N. Africa and hopefully some middle east. I'd fly over to South Korea and end in Tokyo. I want to include S. America but flights from Asia to S. America are crazy expensive. It would be cheaper to fly from Tokyo to LA (home) then LA to Buenos Aries than a direct flight.

I love watching Anthony Bourdian's "Parts Unknown" show. I've been to a few shows he's filmed at. Most notably his last show in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I'd like to do something simple and less concentrated about food and more about culture and signs.

My friends think its a good idea but part of me thinks, "would people really want to watch me?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,450,345 times
Go for it, but realize there is a mass of crappy bloggers to begin with, with terrible, awkward writing and nothing new to bring to the table. You have to separate yourself from that crowd somehow. Of course, a vlog is different and visuals will give you more leeway. Do you have a decent camera? Editing programs and skills?

Old 06-03-2014, 11:26 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,446,319 times
I'll get a decent camera. I know how to edit pretty well for somone who hardly does it. I have a few friends who can help me out with that side of it as well.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:24 AM

9,033 posts, read 8,755,078 times
I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be interested in a compelling, well-produced vlog. I know I would!

But if you're really asking whether you can subsidize your travels with it, the answer is almost certainly "no," unless you are able to reach an astronomical number of people and get them to generate ad click revenue and/or donate to a GoFundMe campaign or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel