U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,993,418 times

Advertisements

There's only one sight in London that I think is genuinely not worth the money. Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. It's expensive and rather silly.

The Tower is expensive but you can see it from the outside (free!). If you visit St. Paul's Cathedral the Tower isn't too far away and it's a pleasant walk to view the exterior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 04:00 AM

12,341 posts, read 15,301,495 times
One to skip: the Old Curiosity shop. It is a mystery why it is so popular.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:19 AM

32,320 posts, read 33,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I have been to London a couple of times and thinking of taking a small group of friends there next year.

I agree about Speaker's Corner. It has changed a lot over the years and is now just a big waste of time. I would recommend blowing it off and just strolling through Hyde Park.

However, I would still recommend the Tower of London. It is expensive, but I think it well worth it.

I also second Chava61's recommendation on the Museum of London as well as the British Museum. Both are outstanding.

I would also recommend some of the London Walks, especially the Thames Pub Crawl. If I do end up taking some friends to London next year, I will definitely be doing some more of the Walks.
I too think the Tower of London is a great historical site to visit in London. I was there many years ago and I remember long lines through a security check to get in so one would need to budget that in their time frame as I would think that would still be the case.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:19 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,771,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Besides what has already been mentioned, I think the Museum of London (Museum of London ) is a good choice if one wants to learn about the history of the city itself.
It is a very interesting museum! I've been a couple of times.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
There's only one sight in London that I think is genuinely not worth the money. Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. It's expensive and rather silly.

The Tower is expensive but you can see it from the outside (free!). If you visit St. Paul's Cathedral the Tower isn't too far away and it's a pleasant walk to view the exterior.
Seeing the Tower from the outside is hardly as good as going inside. It is well worth the money to go inside. Take advantage of the free guided tours as well.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,803,114 times
I lived in London for a year and a half.

Must do (in no order of preference): London Eye, South Bank walk (from Westminster to Tower Bridge), British Museum, picnic at Hyde or Regent's Park, National Gallery/Trafalgar Square, Tower of London (especially the free tour), Dennis Sever's House, restaurants.

Could do: Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Museum, Museum District (Natural History, Science, V&A), Museum of London, Brick Lane, Borough Market, Camden Market, The Shard

Don't need to do: Buckingham Palace, Leicester Square, Oxford/Regent Street shopping, Madame Tussaud's.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:33 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,806,279 times
Oh my--forgot about the Churchill war Rooms--a MUST see!

Old 06-06-2014, 03:45 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,031,389 times
Thank God i didn't go to Madame Tussaud's! i'm going this year for the river race on Thames/Mayor's festival. I didn't bother with Harrod's when i visited.

Anybody been to the Imperial War Museum?

Old 06-07-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
Thank God i didn't go to Madame Tussaud's! i'm going this year for the river race on Thames/Mayor's festival. I didn't bother with Harrod's when i visited.

Anybody been to the Imperial War Museum?
Yes, well worth a visit if it interests you. I went because my son wanted to go. He loved it.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:15 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,364,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I lived in London for a year and a half.

Must do (in no order of preference): London Eye, South Bank walk (from Westminster to Tower Bridge), British Museum, picnic at Hyde or Regent's Park, National Gallery/Trafalgar Square, Tower of London (especially the free tour), Dennis Sever's House, restaurants.

Could do: Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Museum, Museum District (Natural History, Science, V&A), Museum of London, Brick Lane, Borough Market, Camden Market, The Shard

Don't need to do: Buckingham Palace, Leicester Square, Oxford/Regent Street shopping, Madame Tussaud's.
Well if you mean touring a small part of Buckingham palace, I think you have to book a long time in advance and it's only for a couple of months. Yeah probably not worth the trouble. But walking down the promenade past St. James IS definitely worthwhile.

Yeah Madame Tussaud's: I mean there are Madame Tussaud's everywhere, it's not like you can only see it in London.

Oxford/Regent is a nice walk, especially at night, with the architecture and lights.

Regent's Park was probably my favourite in London we went to. Plus there's a lovely view from a hill of the city.

One that isn't AS visited but is well-worth seeing is Highgate Cemetery. Sure, Karl Marx is interned there, but I found it interesting because it's like a forest/wood with tombstones in it.

A more niche attraction is the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green, but I found it fascinating.

Tate modern is cool too, and the Natural History Museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or