U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 PM

9,193 posts, read 9,273,624 times

Advertisements

Best side trips out of London:

1. Windsor Castle
2. Stonehenge
3. Bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,981,516 times
Harrods no longer has a Royal Warrant. The Royal family withdrew them.

Harrods isn't beloved in London anymore except among tourists. The reasoning are too complicated to get into. But the food halls are still worth a quick stroll through, if just to admire the interior decoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I LOVE books, I went into every old dusty book shop I found. I love odd shops and places where you don't find the touristy stuff but then again I adore Harrods...When I went the first time with my parents we went into every store that we ran across that had a Royal Warrant I believe it was called, meaning the coat of arms of whichever Royal they supply things for is over the door.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,981,516 times
I'd add York and Oxford to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Best side trips out of London:

1. Windsor Castle
2. Stonehenge
3. Bath.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:03 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,140,845 times
I'd skip Stonehenge and I live near it.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:39 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,601,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I loved Stonehenge. Clava Cairns in Scotland and Newgrange in Ireland are very cool as well.
Each to their own I guess - if you like big looking stones in a circle and a gift shop then Stonehenge is definitely for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I'd skip Stonehenge and I live near it.
Pretty much my thoughts Jezer.

Last edited by Bamford; 06-11-2014 at 03:53 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 03:49 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,644,115 times
I honestly wouldn't know what to do with 10 days in London.

However I can recommend doing at least a couple of day trips to other cities. Bath IMO is over rated, its a Georgian era tourist trap at the best, the actual Roman baths are very expensive to visit, we did a walking tour which was great if you are a history nerd but way too much information for the average joe.
Oxford is easy to get to by train but much cheaper by using the Oxford Tube | coaches up to every 10 minutes | 24 hours a day between Oxford and London a bus service that runs every 10 minutes or so. In Oxford there are many colleges open to the public also the impressive Ashmolean museum. Along with the usual walking tours and plenty of places to grab a bite to eat including the Eagle & Child on St.Giles where Tolkein, CS Lewis and others (aka The Inklings) hung out. Highly recommend the wild boar burger there.

York is a slightly longer day out but a tour of the city walls and the 12th century Minster make it worth it. Take a walk around the town and look at the original Tudor buildings especially along The Shambles.

Enjoy your vacation !

Oh just another thought, hubby and I did a day trip to Paris on the Eurostar .. 2 hours from London St.Pancras station and you are there.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 PM

325 posts, read 395,196 times
If you are able to, I highly suggest climbing the stairs of St. Paul cathedral. The views at the top is AMAZING!

Also I recommend seeing the Tower Bridge, which I think is an awesome bridge, the Thames River walking path, Covent Garden, and the Shakespeare Globe.

Skip the Eye, it's not worth it if you see London from St Paul. Skip Oxford Circus, it's just overcrowded and expensive shops. All my opinion only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or