U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:45 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,756,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yep. Historically, most of my flights have been long haul actually. I won't pay for more leg room or whatever else, because I have never, ever in all my experience noticed a marked difference between airlines in economy class of any of the probably 20+ airlines I've flown.

I just flew 19 hours from Toronto to Delhi last week. I'm greatful for getting any food, and I'm not very needy and seldom require the assistance of a flight attendant, so better service means nothing to me. I just sit there and try to sleep, or watch a few programs until it's over. From my observations, that's what everyone's trying to do on a long flight - just get through it.
I've flown many different airlines as well and hate flights where the flight attendants always act like you are annoying them by asking for anything. Then they serve you rubbish food that is barely edible.

There is a huge difference in space and comfort as well, even in economy. I find Emirates flight attendants are always friendly and helpful. The economy seats are more roomy. The entertainment choices are the biggest. The food is better and you get more of it. You bet I'll pay more to fly with them. Some of our trips are 24 hours total flying time and I spend a lot of time on planes and don't want to hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,456,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I've flown many different airlines as well and hate flights where the flight attendants always act like you are annoying them by asking for anything. Then they serve you rubbish food that is barely edible.

There is a huge difference in space and comfort as well, even in economy. I find Emirates flight attendants are always friendly and helpful. The economy seats are more roomy. The entertainment choices are the biggest. The food is better and you get more of it. You bet I'll pay more to fly with them. Some of our trips are 24 hours total flying time and I spend a lot of time on planes and don't want to hate it.
Alright, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm still too nimble to care. I just purchase the cheapest flights because deals excite me more than anything and I take great pleasure in finding cheap flights. A lot of them end up being with airlines that are regarded as decent. i.e. The Delhi flight I just described was entirely through Etihad, and cost me $770 CAD to fly YYZ-DEL-FRA. But honestly, it could have been Easyjet or Mexico's VivaAerobus, I wouldn't care.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:13 AM

7,689 posts, read 16,139,357 times
I'm only 5'9" but most of that is femur, and I've been on 757s where my kneecaps were hitting the seat in front of me even though that person had their seatback in full upright position. So I'll gladly pay a little more for a little more leg room on any flight longer than about an hour and a half. Delta's Economy Comfort option is worth every penny for me, especially transatlantic when it also gets you a little further ahead in an customs & immigrations lines than the back of the plane; if I'm flying Southwest, I'll buy the early bird check-in to have a decent shot at an exit row seat.

And back pre-merger I used to love Northwest's regional jets because, due to a quirk in the contract with their partner carriers and the main NWA pilot's union, they had strict limits on the number of passengers a RJ could carry. So they had to pull a couple of rows of seats out of maximum configuration and you had the most generous economy leg room you were going to find in the USA.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,756,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Alright, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm still too nimble to care. I just purchase the cheapest flights because deals excite me more than anything and I take great pleasure in finding cheap flights. A lot of them end up being with airlines that are regarded as decent. i.e. The Delhi flight I just described was entirely through Etihad, and cost me $770 CAD to fly YYZ-DEL-FRA. But honestly, it could have been Easyjet or Mexico's VivaAerobus, I wouldn't care.
We always choose Emirates for Australia, Thailand, African countries not only because they are better, but because we get airmiles. When we get enough airmiles we fly business class which is a seriously pleasant experience.

And I'm still very nimble thank you, but I like comfort when I fly. We fly 3 or 4 times a year.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,258,281 times
Price
Price
Price

Some cases where I connect through, or carrier, etc can matter, but only if there is not a significant price difference.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:20 AM

32,149 posts, read 33,066,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This, combined almost equally with the fewest connections. Followed by layover time, departure time, airline (foriegn over US based, with the exception of Delta), arrival time.

(Delta has treated us well, and since they are a big carrier at our home airport, the miles do add up.)
If I am flying domestically I look for the cheapest with no more than one connecting flight. If I am flying internationally and flying to a major city, I prefer the cheapest direct flight or sometimes with one stopover/connecting flight. Although when I flew to China twice for business, my employer booked a cheaper international flight with a connecting flight (within the USA) but I had a second connection within China because it was a smaller Chinese city that doesn't not have international flights from/to the USA.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:23 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,025,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Have you flown on any code shares with Air France?

How are those Lufthansa prices?
Air France? not yet

I usually fly out MIA on Lufthansa prices arent the best but i usually take them to Europe and i usually take BA for travel within Europe.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,456,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
We always choose Emirates for Australia, Thailand, African countries not only because they are better, but because we get airmiles. When we get enough airmiles we fly business class which is a seriously pleasant experience.

And I'm still very nimble thank you, but I like comfort when I fly. We fly 3 or 4 times a year.
Hey, I wasn't trying to suggest you are frail or anything. Sorry.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,528,567 times
For long distance economy fares, I usually look for home airport and airline on which I have the most status, before anything else. That gives me the "best" experience. From there, I dial in a combination of price, schedule, and available seats based on whatever I find. If I can't find anything, I'll look for other carriers.

Hub airports matter to some extent.

Equipment doesn't matter to me if I have a good seat.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:18 AM

2,669 posts, read 1,986,258 times
I tend to fly with the airline that will get me where I am going with fewest connections at the best price. And tend to be selective on which airports the connections are in, when I can't get a direct flight.
For domestic US, I have found SW airlines and Frontier to be quite useful, and the staff usually polite and friendly. For international, I generally fly with United. And when in China, I really like Air China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or