U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:29 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Getting an aisle seat is one of the biggest factors I consider when shopping for a flight. I will take a multi leg flight over a non stop flight it it means I get an aisle seat.
Same here. One of the reasons I like the regional's is the aisle/window combo in first--best of both worlds in one seat. Same thing with first on most of the long hauls. I like the lay flats that incorporate a buddy seat. You can have dinner with your spouse/travel companion and then kick them out and get a good nights sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,669,681 times
I too am an fan of nonstop flights. I will take connections if absolutely necessary. I realize that you can't get to every airport with a nonstop from every other airport. Less for things to go wrong. I too am in the generally cheapest camp.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:21 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,753,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Reputation. It isn't worth it to save $100 and fly a terrible airline if you are going on a very long trip that is over 20 hours. Your life is miserable on a crappy long flight.
That's what I've been saying but penny pinchers argue.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, we do. Because it's not paying a "bit more". It's paying A LOT more. Of course, we book inside guarantee cabins on cruise ships, too.

When I traveled on business, on somebody else's dime, that was a different matter. Now that I'm retired (at 52, btw), it's far better for us to economize and travel more frequently. and having money to spend on other luxuries that we enjoy more than questionably better airline food and service.

Different strokes.
A LOT is subjective. I'll pay 100 more each ticket to be comfortable on a long flight. Plus Emirates airmiles are worth it for later upgrades.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,638,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
A LOT is subjective. I'll pay 100 more each ticket to be comfortable on a long flight. Plus Emirates airmiles are worth it for later upgrades.
The Emirates flight I was on "seemed" more premium and spacious in economy than anything I've had, but this could've been my mind playing psychological trips as I've been conditioned to expect Asian/Middle Eastern airlines to be top notch. I wonder if the opposite psychological factor would be at play for US airlines.

Do US international flights now have free alchohol/drinks and upgraded entertainment?

Old 06-07-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
The Emirates flight I was on "seemed" more premium and spacious in economy than anything I've had, but this could've been my mind playing psychological trips as I've been conditioned to expect Asian/Middle Eastern airlines to be top notch. I wonder if the opposite psychological factor would be at play for US airlines.

Do US international flights now have free alchohol/drinks and upgraded entertainment?
I've taken many different airlines and been on Emirates about a dozen times now. Yes, they are more comfy and the service is always fantastic. I think the flight attendants get fired if they don't act like they just love bringing you yet another gin and tonic. The food is better and more of it. Great entertainment. Usually about 300 movies plus other stuff. All kinds of good quality free alcohol as well, not that horrible Seagrams you get on US airlines. And on upgrades to business class (haven't been in first) they spoil you rotten. I almost don't want to get off the plane!

US international flights give you free beer and wine but spirits have a charge.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:51 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post

They always have offered at least wine and usually beer. By the way, not all international carriers offer free alcohol. Air France only offers free wine unless you book business or first. They are also stingy with it, they give you a small bottle (200 ml) and you practically have to beg for a second, even in premium economy on an eight plus hour flight.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,131,307 times
I've only flown w/ in the continental United States, and never very far. The furthest would have to been from Hartford to Kansas City. I always look for the cheapest flights. Typically I fly by myself, once or twice a year at most so the rewards systems that airlines have don't work out well for me.

I also like Southwest and Jetblue a lot. I find them cheapest, and no baggage fees which I love. JetBlue - you get the TV and radio stations, so it is a great way to pass the time. With southwest - I love their customer service and the small jokes they crack. Makes it a very enjoyable flight.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:13 AM

2,743 posts, read 1,773,158 times
Skytrax and seat guru.

Airline Rating and Reviews | Airport Rating and Reviews | Seat Reviews

Airline Seat Maps, Flights shopping and Flight information- Best Airplane Seats - SeatGuru

Price is a not a good reason to choose the airline. If you think it is, read reviews for Ryanair.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM

15,096 posts, read 19,053,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Skytrax and seat guru.

Airline Rating and Reviews | Airport Rating and Reviews | Seat Reviews

Airline Seat Maps, Flights shopping and Flight information- Best Airplane Seats - SeatGuru

Price is a not a good reason to choose the airline. If you think it is, read reviews for Ryanair.
Obviously, the rest of the world doesn't agree with you.

In 2013, Ryanair was the largest European airline by scheduled passengers carried (source: Wikipedia)

In 2013, Ryanair had record profits, though they are not performing as well in 2014. Ryanair reports record profits but warns growth likely to slow this year | Business | The Guardian

Personally, I'm not a fan of Ryanair. I have and will continue to pay a bit more just to avoid them. Especially since their extra fees usually wipe out any savings you think you are achieving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or