U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:16 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,276,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I want a direct flight (no connections if possible) and the cheapest fare. If those stars align, I'm in. I live between NYC and Boston so I have access to 2 large airports and many direct flights for long hauls so I generally avoid international connections.

After that, I rank all US domestic carriers at the bottom for long haul flights. I will choose pretty much ANY non-US carrier over Delta, American, US Airways, etc. I tend to prefer Airbus over Boeing but that generally doesn't factor into my decision.
Basically this, but I'm talking international flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,651,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Obviously, the rest of the world doesn't agree with you.

In 2013, Ryanair was the largest European airline by scheduled passengers carried (source: Wikipedia)

In 2013, Ryanair had record profits, though they are not performing as well in 2014. Ryanair reports record profits but warns growth likely to slow this year | Business | The Guardian

Personally, I'm not a fan of Ryanair. I have and will continue to pay a bit more just to avoid them. Especially since their extra fees usually wipe out any savings you think you are achieving.
I would pay a LOT more to avoid them given everythign I've heard about them.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:15 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,774,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Obviously, the rest of the world doesn't agree with you.

In 2013, Ryanair was the largest European airline by scheduled passengers carried (source: Wikipedia)

In 2013, Ryanair had record profits, though they are not performing as well in 2014. Ryanair reports record profits but warns growth likely to slow this year | Business | The Guardian

Personally, I'm not a fan of Ryanair. I have and will continue to pay a bit more just to avoid them. Especially since their extra fees usually wipe out any savings you think you are achieving.
Your last paragraph proves my point. I've seen the stats on Ryanair and don't get it. Doesn't matter. They are cheap but their service sucks. I can only think that the potential savings sways people more than the crap service and add on fees.

You seem wise enough to avoid them.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:23 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,002,635 times
I always have set dates (I prefer to secure reservations at a hotel of choice first); therefore, I don't always get the cheapest option.

Schedule is as important to me as cost. I will not change planes more than once. From that point on I search and search for a good value between the two, and it usually doesn't matter which airlines. I like Southwest but for my last trip all of the outbound flights were way too expensive. Ended up flying out Delta and returning on Southwest, because I liked the schedules.

I use both travel sites like Kayak as well the airlines sites. It can be a very frustrating experience.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,130,196 times
The beauty of Ryanair and Easy Jet is that it's forced BA and other legacies to be a little more competitive price-wise on intra-European flights. And if you can get somewhat close on ticket prices proper, then BA can even win on cost for add-ons like baggage fees.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:40 PM

4,196 posts, read 3,093,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
For economy class, how do you tend to select your airlines?
I don't fly if I can avoid it, but when I do, I like to get the most bang for my buck. After having flown on everything from jet airliners operated by major carriers to turboprop "puddle jumpers" operated by regional carriers, one thing is certain: if the plane says "Southwest" on the vertical stabilizer, I'll be happy to step on board.

When I have fly Southwest, I know that things will go smoothly at check-in and boarding, that the plane will push and land on time, that my bag will be on the correct carousel at baggage claim, and that the flight attendants will probably do something to make us all smile and laugh while we're on board.

For years, Southwest Airlines has consistently provided better service for less money. That's a win-win in my book - and that's why I book my flights on Southwest.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:46 PM

318 posts, read 644,032 times
The most important factors for me are schedule, seat selection and price, pretty much in that order. I refuse to take that middle seat anymore. I have been stuck in the middle seats on flights from Detroit to London, Seattle to Copenhagen, and London to SFO and those were awful experiences. For a flight of 2+ hours of duration in economy! I want the aisle seat.

I will also pay more for direct flights because of the convenience and because I'm eliminating the risk of missing my connection and totally messing up my trip.

Airline choice doesn't make much of a difference to me. None of the domestic carriers are anything to write home about. I do have to say that my flight from Barcelona to a Philadelphia on US Airways was the best flight I have ever taken, but that was business class.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:29 PM

11,754 posts, read 6,322,781 times
My me its all about price. Comfort matters, but I don't need anything fancy if I'm getting a great deal. While I love the window seat as I don't get up much and hate getting up for others, I'd gladly take the middle seat if it meant realizing a great deal.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:29 PM

29,554 posts, read 16,518,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
one thing is certain: if the plane says "Southwest" on the vertical stabilizer, I'll be happy to step on board.
I'm just the opposite. I call Southwest "Lines are Us". And their prices are no longer the cheapest.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:46 PM

12,313 posts, read 15,224,755 times
A lot of people I know will only fly out of OHare or maybe Milwaukee. Midway is only about 20 miles further yet many would rather pay another $2-300 to avoid Midway. Or maybe they can't stand Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or