Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,875,546 times

Advertisements

Price. Full stop.

I did have a phenomenal experience with Singapore Airlines a few years back. It was the cheapest option for the flights I needed, but I might actually consider paying a modest up-charge to fly them again. They had printed breakfast/lunch/dinner menus with half a dozen choices for each meal, little designer-branded "survival bags" with cozy socks, eye masks, toothbrushes, etc. All this in economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:24 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,724,201 times
price

the only time I consider a slightly more expensive flight is if the lay over on the cheapest one's connection is a lot longer.

I get a " rush" from flying on the lowest priced ticket.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:46 AM

19,374 posts, read 27,620,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
You must not go on many long haul flights. Would you honestly go for the cheapest on a 14 hour flight instead of paying a bit more for more leg room, better food, better service?
Yes, we do. Because it's not paying a "bit more". It's paying A LOT more. Of course, we book inside guarantee cabins on cruise ships, too.

When I traveled on business, on somebody else's dime, that was a different matter. Now that I'm retired (at 52, btw), it's far better for us to economize and travel more frequently. and having money to spend on other luxuries that we enjoy more than questionably better airline food and service.

Different strokes.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,724,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, we do. Because it's not paying a "bit more". It's paying A LOT more. Of course, we book inside guarantee cabins on cruise ships, too.

When I traveled on business, on somebody else's dime, that was a different matter. Now that I'm retired (at 52, btw), it's far better for us to economize and travel more frequently. and having money to spend on other luxuries that we enjoy more than questionably better airline food and service.

Different strokes.
Same here.

I would rather still have that extra money in my pocket for after I reached my destination.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:21 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,234,910 times
Have to be honest: We have a daughter who works for a major airline, (American) we obviously use AA most of the time: It helps her keep her job and we get a discount, but if it weren't for that, we would fly based mostly on economics. We used to do that all the time: we still do check, but living in the middle of hillbilly country we don't have a lot of choices. The good news is: Having a daughter that is a travel agent and another one that works for an airline our travel is pretty well taken care of, at a pretty good price.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:12 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,085,354 times
Priority is cost (whether in dollars or miles). That is weighed against convenience (total travel time) and lastly my perceived quality of the airline.

I think that internationally from the US, one-way, I have probably flown United five times, Delta twice, Singapore Airlines twice, and Malaysian Airlines 11 times. That's just a guess. And come to think of it, every single transcontinental trip I've ever flown originated and ended in Jacksonville, FL.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:35 PM

10,259 posts, read 13,774,819 times
I fly any reasonably priced airline that's not United. I don't care to ever fly with them again if I can help it.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:02 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,908,982 times
Reputation. It isn't worth it to save $100 and fly a terrible airline if you are going on a very long trip that is over 20 hours. Your life is miserable on a crappy long flight.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:40 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,974,007 times
Getting an aisle seat is one of the biggest factors I consider when shopping for a flight. I will take a multi leg flight over a non stop flight it it means I get an aisle seat.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,559,445 times
Default Two things

I select by who has the lower price via Travelocity and Expedia. Second consideration is the number of connecting flights to reach my destinations. The fewer, the better. If I could forego financial considerations and choose based on service, I'd go with American Airlines and Frontier Airlines I've always been happy with both of their customer service and flights. I can't say that about the other major carriers in the US whom I've flown with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel