U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:17 AM

872 posts, read 1,637,036 times

Advertisements

For economy class, how do you tend to select your airlines? There are several things one would consider that probably we all weight differently:

- The hub airport: For example, I won't fly Air France/BA or because of CDG & Heahtrow. I was also dissapointed with the recent connection in Attartuk--the security is insane, and I actually like that but the airport itself is horribly disorganized.

- The alliance: Sky, Star, One World...? Do these matter to you?

- Customer Service

- Price: Turkish Airlines for example often has routes in economy that are up to 67% cheaper than Luftansha. On the same classs! Why is this?

- The aircraft: Some airlines have new fleets. Do you avoid Airbus? Do you want to try out 787s or A380s?

- Region: Fly only American? Trust European?

Again this is for economy long hauls, usually with connecting airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:19 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,021,819 times
I fly Delta from Fort Lauderdale because they are the only ones that fly least connections to the Philippines. I fly to NYC via JFK (Hub) a lot. I flew Delta a lot transiting through JFK, but I just started to fly United/Lufthansa to Europe to visit family.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:32 AM

872 posts, read 1,637,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
I fly Delta from Fort Lauderdale because they are the only ones that fly least connections to the Philippines. I fly to NYC via JFK (Hub) a lot. I flew Delta a lot transiting through JFK, but I just started to fly United/Lufthansa to Europe to visit family.
Have you flown on any code shares with Air France?

How are those Lufthansa prices?

Old 06-06-2014, 05:45 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
My selection usually is based on the cheapest route to where I want to go.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,097,419 times
I want a direct flight (no connections if possible) and the cheapest fare. If those stars align, I'm in. I live between NYC and Boston so I have access to 2 large airports and many direct flights for long hauls so I generally avoid international connections.

After that, I rank all US domestic carriers at the bottom for long haul flights. I will choose pretty much ANY non-US carrier over Delta, American, US Airways, etc. I tend to prefer Airbus over Boeing but that generally doesn't factor into my decision.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:15 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,750,060 times
I dislike using any American airline (the service and food) but don't have much choice when flying to the US. I fly Delta/KLM on our annual trips and it gets us airmiles. Will be using them to upgrade to business on our return flight this summer.

We get Skywards miles on Emirates and have used them often. We always choose Emirates for flights to Africa, Thailand, and Australia even when some airlines are cheaper.

To the continent we use EasyJet and try to avoid using Ryanair.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 AM

7,683 posts, read 16,109,576 times
Delta has 70% of the gates at my local airport and the rest of the options involve taking a Barbie jet (regional jet) for a connection in Texas for typically 20% more than what Delta is charging.

So I'm pretty locked into them and Sky Team for most purposes, though I've been happy with BA for intra-European flights in terms of both price and product.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I want a direct flight (no connections if possible) and the cheapest fare. If those stars align, I'm in. I live between NYC and Boston so I have access to 2 large airports and many direct flights for long hauls so I generally avoid international connections.

After that, I rank all US domestic carriers at the bottom for long haul flights. I will choose pretty much ANY non-US carrier over Delta, American, US Airways, etc. I tend to prefer Airbus over Boeing but that generally doesn't factor into my decision.
You obviously haven't flown Air France or you wouldn't say that. Worst airline ever.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 AM

15,077 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My selection usually is based on the cheapest route to where I want to go.
This, combined almost equally with the fewest connections. Followed by layover time, departure time, airline (foriegn over US based, with the exception of Delta), arrival time.

(Delta has treated us well, and since they are a big carrier at our home airport, the miles do add up.)

Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Most of my travel is business related, and I typically fly to the same general geographic areas, all served better by US than any other carrier, so the choice is evident.

I stick to one carrier (unless I'm going someplace they truly don't fly to, and then I try to stay within their alliance) as the perks add up fairly quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or