Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 AM

492 posts, read 638,170 times

Advertisements

We are heading off to France for a month this fall and are trying to figure out phone options.

I have an AT&T iphone here in the states and would like to use the apps while traveling. My husband does not think we need two smart phones, but we would like to be able to text each other when we split up to see different things.

I don't need voice calling, as our apartment rental includes free calls back to the US for the few actual calls we would be making.

Are there options for renting smart phones with pay as you go plans in France? Or is it cheaper to use the AT&T international options for texting and data for that month?

Also, has anyone bought a cheap sim card based phone for texting in France? Is that the way tomgo for a second phone? Or should he bring his iphone with everything but international texting turned off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 AM

556 posts, read 946,500 times
I'm planning to just add AT&T data and texting for my trip to Denmark next month. That will give me use of a phone while traveling, and will also allow my family to contact me without incurring international test charges on their end. I could probably save some money by renting/buying a prepaid phone, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for the convenience of using my own phone.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
We have non-smart phones (that do text) with a couple different SIMS for different parts of Europe. We bought them in London for what worked out to $14 each, and topped off the SIM with about $20 in minutes on each. We bought SIMS in a few other countries as well.

I have also used the international calling and data on my US smart phone, but that gets pretty expensive. If I call a Euro number while in Europe, I get charged both for the call from Europe as well as a long distance rate. Fine if I only plan on making a one minute call once or twice, but not good for day-to-day use.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:23 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Get a SIM card in France. Make sure it includes data, since you're using it for apps.

Prepaid sim card for France they will ship it to you before you leave. Or, you can use Google maps to find an Orange shop at a convenient location when you arrive in France and buy it there.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
If your smart-phone is unlocked and has the right frequency, the best option is buy a local simcard and use it for texting.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
I have an Iphone. I add a data plan for a month. Generally I turn of 3G and have it set to wifi. Lots of wifi available. I never get a special phone.. The key is to turn off 3G.. Just keep it on airplane most of the time.

ETA, I have AT&T. I just call them at the airport and add international data for a month

Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM

287 posts, read 506,596 times
Looks like AT&T now has its international services separate... when I went to Italy in 2011, I believe it was all lumped together.

Data starts at $30 for 150mb. See here for the full price list: AT&T International Roaming and World Packages - from AT&T

You can also have your phone unlocked to use a foreign SIM, but you'll need to meet certain criteria: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/. If you meet the requirements for an unlock, that's probably the best way to go cost-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel