U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:56 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,445,399 times

Advertisements

I had Central America, Mexico, and the northern half of SA in mind mostly. Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina seem more expensive and less risky, not to say I would avoid the rest of LA though. I wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
For those of you who express concernes about your safety while traveling, you might wish to read this thread:

What is the most scared you have ever been while traveling?

Note that very, very few travelers have ever had even a single "scary" experience which actually turned out to negatively impact their travel experience. Nearly all describe situations where they "felt" scared, but nothing happened.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,730,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For those of you who express concernes about your safety while traveling, you might wish to read this thread:

What is the most scared you have ever been while traveling?

Note that very, very few travelers have ever had even a single "scary" experience which actually turned out to negatively impact their travel experience. Nearly all describe situations where they "felt" scared, but nothing happened.
Why even go on a vacation to a place where you............."feel scared " ?

perception is reality to the one doing the perceiving.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:24 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Why even go on a vacation to a place where you............."feel scared " ?

perception is reality to the one doing the perceiving.
. . . and psychiatry has a name for that pathology.

The travelers referenced in the other thread didn't "feel scared" before they went, they felt scared by a perfectly harmless event that occurred while already on the trip, which htey could not have reasonably anticipated. Nothing actually happened on the trip that was threatening or endangering, but only something that gave them a momentary and transient sense that something might be going wrong. They went to the same places that some people are afraid to go to, and nothing happened.

For example, my wife recently went to Poland, and emailed a contact that she would arrive at a bus station in a small town late in the day, with the expectation that they would pick her up there. They arrived an hour late, and she felt scared because there were no amenities nor accommodations near the bus station, and she knew no Polish. But sure enough, they showed up.

So this was an event in which she "felt scared". But would it be reasonable to not take the trip to Poland in the first place, because of a fear that the contacts might not pick her up, and therefore it is "unsafe" to go, at least under those conditions? That's the difference between "feeling scared" as plans unfold, and "afraid to go" in the first place because some element of it is, in some imagined way, not "safe".

So, to answer your question, why even take the bus to Suwalki, Poland, if there is a risk that you will "feel scared" when you get off the bus uncertainly, not knowing any Polish. Because the rewards heavily outweigh whatever the risks may be..

Last edited by jtur88; 06-30-2014 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 09:29 AM

51 posts, read 44,742 times
Eastern Europe would be a very good candidate. I visited Budapest a few months ago and it wasn't that expensive. Also, you should check Turkey. Beautiful country with lots of history and green places and mountains especially in the Black Sea Region. I felt much safer in Turkey than I was in most of the states in the US. Republic of Georgia is also a nice inexpensive country. But I had a difficulty communicating with people in Georgia as the vast majority of them speak only Georgian and Russian

Old 07-19-2014, 10:15 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Lover View Post
Eastern Europe would be a very good candidate. I visited Budapest a few months ago and it wasn't that expensive. Also, you should check Turkey. Beautiful country with lots of history and green places and mountains especially in the Black Sea Region. I felt much safer in Turkey than I was in most of the states in the US. Republic of Georgia is also a nice inexpensive country. But I had a difficulty communicating with people in Georgia as the vast majority of them speak only Georgian and Russian
A little off-topic, but agree that Budapest is both beautiful and fairly inexpensive. Croatia is also incredibly beautiful, even less expensive than Budapest, incredibly friendly, and most people speak at least some English--and like to do so. You can use the ferry system to work your way down the coast.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:16 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
wow...im thinking I need to add Portugal to my list now.

Most of my experience is in Asia, and bear in mind that I look (and I actually am) Chinese. My top recommendation is Taiwan. I think you can spend a good amount of time exploring the entire island (I could spend plenty of time just in Taipei), it's beautiful, very much first world comforts but a third world price. China itself is also a good option. I am from Malaysia and love it but if you wanted to visit I'd really stick to just Penang right now. The other popular destinations aren't all that safe atm.
Taiwan is indeed pretty cheap and safe for travelers.Bare in mind that I usually have nothing nice to talk about my own country.

There's barely any violent street crime,not even pickpockets.
The metro system is quite well-maintained and usually not super crowded.And it's extremely cheap for Western standards.I don't think you can possibly spend more than 1.5 USD on a one way ticket.If you use an Easy card,1 USD is about as expensive as it could get.The cheapest is like 50 cents or something lol.
The food is also cheap for foreigners(especially people from industralized countries),a typical Mcdonald meal that includes a burger,french fries,and coke costs from 2.5 to 4 US dollars at most.
People don't speak good English,but most of us speak at least a tiny bit.Look for younger people if you need directions.
Taiwanese people are particularly nice to Caucasians.If you're a decent-looking white guy,you'd have no problem looking for a hot fling at night,lol.

Accommodation isn't cheap though,the price of decent hotels is about the same as any other European countries.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Keep the replies coming, guys! It's interesting to hear about Portugal. I've been to Spain a few times, but the western parts of Iberia have eluded me so far. I've definitely been interested in the Balkans, SE Asia, and China.

I'm not up-to-date on the happenings in 'Stans, but they've definitely intrigued me. What makes you say they're unsafe?

Also, what can y'all tell me about South America? I know Venezuela is unstable right now, and you avoid the slums like you would anywhere, but it should be generally safe, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I was talking more along the lines of Kazahkstan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan. Pakistan and Afghanistan aren't part of the "Russian 'Stans".
While the governments are repressive, I do not think the steppe "Stans" are dangerous, and I would generally be willing to travel there.

As for South America, I think you are likely to find that it is generally safe, though there are areas to avoid. I don't think there is a single country that you should avoid entirely in S. America for safety, though there are certainly regions in multiple countries that require care. Take a look at Wikitravel and Tripadvisor for more fine-grained analysis.

Central America should be an option also, especially with your Texas location, which should keep flight costs down. The same advice holds true for Central America.

If you are comfortable travelling in Ghana then I think you can travel in most countries with some advance planning as to areas to avoid. You should avoid active warzones and dangerous parts of cities and countries (i.e., Darien Gap, south side of Chicago, Ciudad Juarez, etc). Places with major kidnapping concerns (parts of Mexico, FARC territory in Colombia, much of Somalia--which also falls under the active warzone category) and North Korea are probably best avoided.

Any place with a serious communicable disease outbreak should probably be avoided, as well (like the current ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Guinea).

Outside of those, I think that personal safety is as good as the United States in virtually all of the world. US cities have more violent crime than most other places--we just are used to it and know which parts of town to avoid.

A couple other generally cheap options that I don't think have been mentioned: Turkey, Hungary,

Old 08-02-2014, 11:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,145,319 times
Indonesia, its cheap and relatively safe for tourist, the provinces are all safe for travellers to go, there is no issue of kidnapping or rebels etc. Crime rate is relatively low, but of course you have to be always wary of situation surrounding you. It's different than before when instability was plaguing the country.

As for cheapness, there's many flight to many of its various prices, and places out of Kuta and Jakarta is very budget friendly. Although English language is not spoken much outside Bali and Jakarta, but you'll find some people who does anyway. Its cheaper than Thailand and Malaysia in general for travellers in Southeast Asia.

Many exotic beaches, off the beaten tracks and places to visit, each of the different 18000 islands are adherent to different cultures or unpopulated, you may been there before, but probably only some of the islands.

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-02-2014 at 11:34 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,768,041 times
Eastern Europe... until recently!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or