U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,669,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm a travel junkie, but I'm also young and not well-established financially. I have plans to travel extensively while I have the time (as in months to years), and I'm putting together a list of places that are cheap, yet safe. I've spent a good amount of time in Ghana, some in Indonesia, so I know how to keep safe as a (pale, red-headed) foreigner, but that only goes so far, especially in places with political instability.

So I guess I want to hear about off-the-beaten-path places that you might recommend. While I will have plenty saved up, I know there are tons of beautiful places outside the American and/or Western travel canon, and I'd love to explore.
Have you considered Russia? The collapse of their currency means that traveling there literally costs half of what it did 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:05 AM

21 posts, read 14,617 times
What about Ukraine? I don't mean East because of war there, just West and centre. For example nature of Carpathian mountains is fascinating any season.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,321,288 times
Cuba is both cheap and very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Have you considered Russia? The collapse of their currency means that traveling there literally costs half of what it did 5 years ago.
Is Russia what most people would consider safe? I know a guy who went there to adopt about 15 years ago and he came back with terrible stories of what a gangster-ridden hellhole it was.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:49 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,669,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

Is Russia what most people would consider safe? I know a guy who went there to adopt about 15 years ago and he came back with terrible stories of what a gangster-ridden hellhole it was.
I'd think a gigantic country like Russia would have some safe parts.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 AM

21 posts, read 14,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

Russia is huge beautiful wonderful country. Actually there are a lot of exciting attractions and amazing sights there. And it's absolutely safe country with very friendly people. It really worth to visit.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosy traveler View Post
Russia is huge beautiful wonderful country. Actually there are a lot of exciting attractions and amazing sights there. And it's absolutely safe country with very friendly people. It really worth to visit.
I visited Moscow and St Petersburg for ten days in 1992 or so. Ten months after the government fell. Sorry to say, I found it ugly - everything was gray. The sky, the buildings, the people. Food was awful. Closest thing I've ever had to a bad vacation.

I don't think I would return unless somebody paid for the trip and my time.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosy traveler View Post
I've always wanted to visit Russia(especially Moscow and St Petersburg), but I feel like I'd need someone who speaks Russian and knows the city well enough to show me around.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:08 AM

141 posts, read 119,826 times
Romania/Hungary/Serbia/Bulgaria/Turkey/Moldova/Croatia/Slovakia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or