U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,499,920 times

Advertisements

I'm a travel junkie, but I'm also young and not well-established financially. I have plans to travel extensively while I have the time (as in months to years), and I'm putting together a list of places that are cheap, yet safe. I've spent a good amount of time in Ghana, some in Indonesia, so I know how to keep safe as a (pale, red-headed) foreigner, but that only goes so far, especially in places with political instability.

So I guess I want to hear about off-the-beaten-path places that you might recommend. While I will have plenty saved up, I know there are tons of beautiful places outside the American and/or Western travel canon, and I'd love to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,691 times
Laos. Lots of backpackers there. It's poor, but the people are nice. I was just in the northern part, but met several who had travelled throughout the country. Very cheap.

Closer to home, Portugal is fairly reasonably-priced, for Europe.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:00 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,342,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post

Laos. Lots of backpackers there. It's poor, but the people are nice. I was just in the northern part, but met several who had travelled throughout the country. Very cheap.
Good suggestion! It is safe and rather cheap (but not like it was 20 or 25 years ago.) However, it's very expensive to get there.

There are some places in the Caribbean and Latin America that are pretty cheap (such as the Dominican Republic) - but safe ??? Not really!!!

Very safe and affordable - you can even drive there: the Maritime Provinces of Canada. The more off the beaten track places in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador are much lower in price than more popular destinations like Montreal, Quebec, Toront, etc.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:37 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Much of Europe can be done cheap if you are willing to stay in hostels. As previously mentioned Portugal is reasonable, as is most of the Dalmatian Coast. You can use the ferry system to see the Dalmatian Coast inexpensively.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:27 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
I would say Ecuador is a cheap place to travel but not that safe. On the other hand, China is cheap and relatively safe for travelers.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 AM

556 posts, read 761,905 times
Definitely Portugal. I traveled with a friend (so 2 twenty-something women instead of 1), and was stunned by how inexpensive things were. You can fly into Madrid or Barcelona, then take a fairly inexpensive TAP flight into Lisbon or Porto. $30/night for a two bedroom apartment on airbnb (so even less if you just need a studio). More than once we thought the restaurant bill was per person when it was for both of us (i.e. 7 euros total for a meal with salad, grilled chicken, potatoes, bread, cake, and 2 beers each). Two bottles of water from a news stand in the expensive/tourist areas? 1 euro.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 AM

7,683 posts, read 16,109,576 times
Airfare, while always an issue, can be brought down in many cases by paying attention to the sales compiler websites (Airfare Watchdog, Flyertalk etc.) and setting up low fare alerts for your home airport. Earlier this year, United was having some sort of Indonesian fare sale, and you could get $900 rts there from my usually sky high fare home airport. Then once you're vaguely in the area, use a regional low cost carrier to get yourself from Indonesia to Laos or Moscow (common transatlantic fare sale city if you can wrangle a transit visa or meet transit without visa rules) to Poland or Slovakia.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:57 AM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,887,058 times
Vietnam....though you have to watch your wallet and haggle to avoid getting ripped off, but as far as violent crimes...very low.

You can go to the Mekong Delta if you want to get way off the beaten path...even i never tried it.

Can Tho city

Last edited by JL; 06-15-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM

71,968 posts, read 83,656,005 times
of course airfare is always the biggest issue: After you get to your location there are a lot of very inexpensive ways to enjoy almost any country. There is a tour company and I will be darned if I can remember the name of it, but they do tours all over the world for young people (under 35 I think) for bargain prices. Another thought, but I think you are talking about touring away from the Western side of the world, is Costa Rica. As mentioned Nam is beautiful and a wonderful place to travel on a budget. As for safety, you seem to know how to take care of yourself pretty well, so any advise I could give is probably advise you already know. The only place I would totally stay away from would be the middle east, that goes without saying.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
I'd say that in addition to the Middle East, a good chunk of Africa and most of the "Russian 'Stans" would be places you wouldn't really want to visit right now.

A friend of mine spent much of his childhood in Lebanon and Syria and spoke very fondly of both countries. This would have been in the 60's and early 70's--a very different time back then. It's unfortunate that many of us will most likely never get to see much of the Middle East in our lifetimes due to politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or