Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:00 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times

Advertisements

A number of friends are considering joining my girlfriendand I on a trip to London in 2015.

We are all in our 50s and 60s. There will be several couples and perhaps asolo individual or two. The group will probably end up being between 6 and 10 people. All of us are in decent health. My friends have a wide variety of interests and are generally easy going and cooperative. Most of them do not have much experience travelling in Europe, although two of them joined us on our recent trip to Belgium and Amsterdam.

We will definitely be trying to keep our costs to a reasonable level and will likely be looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel. I am definitely open to hotel location although I usually stay in the area between the Queensway, Lancaster Gate and Paddington tube stations. This time I was considering looking for a hotel on the South Bank.

I have already loaned out one of my London travel guides as well as given out a link to the “London Walks” website.

I have been to London several times and am organizing the trip. However, I have never tried to organize a trip with this many people and would like to make sure everyone enjoys their experience. I am would appreciate any tips the CD posters might have.

Last edited by MyTarge13; 06-15-2014 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Odd format issues after pasting in from Word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
You will not get everyone to agree on things. Find two hotels within a couple of blocks of each other, one a four star and one a tourist class and let everyone make their own reservations. Toss out the things you plan on doing and when, and if others are interested, they can come along (buying advance tickets as necessary--provide that type of information) and plan on meeting for dinners most nights and some lunches.

Playing tour guide all day will not allow you to enjoy your trip. Instead make suggestions and then let people either tag along or do their own thing.

With people who haven't been to London before, I would not choose the South Bank. I would suggest Belgravia, Mayfair, Convent Garden--a place close to much of the action with a lot of nearby tube stops.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You will not get everyone to agree on things. Find two hotels within a couple of blocks of each other, one a four star and one a tourist class and let everyone make their own reservations. Toss out the things you plan on doing and when, and if others are interested, they can come along (buying advance tickets as necessary--provide that type of information) and plan on meeting for dinners most nights and some lunches.

Playing tour guide all day will not allow you to enjoy your trip. Instead make suggestions and then let people either tag along or do their own thing.

With people who haven't been to London before, I would not choose the South Bank. I would suggest Belgravia, Mayfair, Convent Garden--a place close to much of the action with a lot of nearby tube stops.
Thanks for the advice. Your point about the South Bank is well taken. I will consider the other areas you recommended.

The different interests of the people in the group definitely represent a challenge. I expect I will try to put together an itinerary for the first day or two (a hop on - hop off double decker bus tour perhaps) and then just put together some suggested day plans.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:

The bolded is true. With a group that large, everyone will not be on board to do all the same activities. You can plan a couple of group activities in advance and then break up into smaller groups to do things that each mini-group is interested in. E.g., some may want to do a pub crawl at the same time others may want to go on a romantic nighttime river cruise. Or the ladies may want to do some shopping while the men do whatever it is they want to do. Some may want to visit art museums; others castles. Others may want to do both. My understanding is that London has venues to satisfy just about any interest imaginable.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
The bolded is true. With a group that large, everyone will not be on board to do all the same activities. You can plan a couple of group activities in advance and then break up into smaller groups to do things that each mini-group is interested in. E.g., some may want to do a pub crawl at the same time others may want to go on a romantic nighttime river cruise. Or the ladies may want to do some shopping while the men do whatever it is they want to do. Some may want to visit art museums; others castles. Others may want to do both. My understanding is that London has venues to satisfy just about any interest imaginable.

Shopping? Really?????

Old 06-16-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Shopping? Really?????
Why not shopping? London is a mecca for it. Even if you aren't much of a shopper, some of teh shopping districts in London are worth a visit for the experience.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 AM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I would see what everyone wanted to do and plan a few days for the things that everyone wants to do and do it together and then have free days where everyone goes off and does what they want.

There is no way that everyone will agree on activities 100%. Arrange it so no one has to feel guilty and no one has to do activities that they don't enjoy.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I would see what everyone wanted to do and plan a few days for the things that everyone wants to do and do it together and then have free days where everyone goes off and does what they want.

There is no way that everyone will agree on activities 100%. Arrange it so no one has to feel guilty and no one has to do activities that they don't enjoy.
I think you are right. Thanks for the advice.

I think I will start putting together a list of London attractions and general areas of interests and see what different people might be interested.

For example, one of the things I never put much effort towards is setting aside time for things like shopping, but I know that a number of the people going will want to do this.

I am also starting to look at potential day trips out of London. I recently found a reference (in a Rick Steves book) about a one day tour of Dowton Abbey locations, including Highclere castle. I think some of the group will be very, very interested in that.

In the end, my guess is that the trip will be a mix of days we stay together as a group and days we split up. One result of this realization, is that I will probably look for a more central hotel, than go with my idea of staying on the South Bank. I will just have to balance cost with location.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM

You could also look at a home rental--I've seen some that were five and six bedrooms. Just be sure to divide the cost up fairly (per person, not per bedroom) and make sure there are enough bathrooms and that everyone is willing to share one if that is required. For the cost of five hotel rooms in the Belgravia, Mayfair, Convent Garden, etc. areas. you could rent a gorgeous flat for less and have a washer dryer plus be able to save on breakfast/snacks.

I would try to get everyone together to openly discuss what they want to do, what their budget is, the quality of accommodations they expect/require, etc.

Also make sure they understand that a UK queen bed is only a US double, and if they want a US queen they need to book a UK king, if they want a king they need a UK super king.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
You could also look at a home rental--I've seen some that were five and six bedrooms. Just be sure to divide the cost up fairly (per person, not per bedroom) and make sure there are enough bathrooms and that everyone is willing to share one if that is required. For the cost of five hotel rooms in the Belgravia, Mayfair, Convent Garden, etc. areas. you could rent a gorgeous flat for less and have a washer dryer plus be able to save on breakfast/snacks.

I would try to get everyone together to openly discuss what they want to do, what their budget is, the quality of accommodations they expect/require, etc.

Also make sure they understand that a UK queen bed is only a US double, and if they want a US queen they need to book a UK king, if they want a king they need a UK super king.
Ok, this is exactly why I post these kinds of questions on CD. I have been to London 3 different times and never knew about the bed sizes.

Thanks Annerk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel