U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM

996 posts, read 862,740 times

Advertisements

Our rule of thumb for a car trip is to spend at least one night for every two hours of driving. So for a six-hour drive, we'll be at the destination for at least three nights.

A shorter stay means you've barely recovered from the drive when you have to be on your way again. It's just not relaxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Our rule of thumb for a car trip is to spend at least one night for every two hours of driving. So for a six-hour drive, we'll be at the destination for at least three nights.

A shorter stay means you've barely recovered from the drive when you have to be on your way again. It's just not relaxing.
Considering it can take me two hours round trip to parts of my metro area in traffic, I'd never get anywhere!

Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,822,336 times
Quote:

I guess that's a good way to do it if car/land travel really isn't your forte.
I've been conditioned to rolling for long periods of time and it doesn't take me that long to shake it off.

We've all got different bodies acclimated to different things I guess.

As for the general aviation thing, that's going to be a not-too-distant future sort of thing.
Bank some money, get a bunch of lessons and hours knocked out, get some aviation maintenance courses out of the way at a CC that offers them.
Then get a small plane or something down the road.

As I mentioned, I still think NM is a great state, as long as you're not in the eastern part which seems to resemble the great plains(West TX, Oklahoma, Kansas and such) more than it does the southern edge of the Rockies.
You get more of that irritable "twang" on this end, along with more of that stereotypical cowboy vibe.

Apart from the gun culture(not trying to take it there exclusively), I've got as much in common with people here as I do people living in Siberia.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Considering it can take me two hours round trip to parts of my metro area in traffic, I'd never get anywhere!
Ahh, gee, my sympathies!!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post

As for the general aviation thing, that's going to be a not-too-distant future sort of thing.
Bank some money, get a bunch of lessons and hours knocked out, get some aviation maintenance courses out of the way at a CC that offers them.
Then get a small plane or something down the road.
Yeah, that's how we were thinking back in the '70s when we were young. We lived far from both families and the idea of flying out for a weekend visit -- from a place with lousy commercial air service -- was so liberating!

So DH started working on his pilot's license. He solo'ed, got his tie cut. (Do they still do that? Geez, does anybody even still own a tie?)

And then one night, doing touch and go's with his instructor at a mountainside airport, his plane lost power and they crashed. He was close to death for several days. He lost the sight in one eye and has a major scar where the propellor impacted diagonally across his face.

We still fly, on planes as small as 12-seaters. But it took me awhile to be comfortable on small planes.

It's such a great idea to do your own flying, and in theory it would have worked out great for us all these years. But you never know what's going to intervene in that plan. (Just lucky -- knocking on wood -- that we've never been in a car accident.)

Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's how we were thinking back in the '70s when we were young. We lived far from both families and the idea of flying out for a weekend visit -- from a place with lousy commercial air service -- was so liberating!

So DH started working on his pilot's license. He solo'ed, got his tie cut. (Do they still do that? Geez, does anybody even still own a tie?)

And then one night, doing touch and go's with his instructor at a mountainside airport, his plane lost power and they crashed. He was close to death for several days. He lost the sight in one eye and has a major scar where the propellor impacted diagonally across his face.

We still fly, on planes as small as 12-seaters. But it took me awhile to be comfortable on small planes.

It's such a great idea to do your own flying, and in theory it would have worked out great for us all these years. But you never know what's going to intervene in that plan. (Just lucky -- knocking on wood -- that we've never been in a car accident.)
That's a risk you always have to take into consideration when doing something like that.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:52 PM

After doing some more thinking about things, I'm thinking it would be probably be in my best interests to get a camping/small living trailer.
Feed my travel and hobo-skills all at the same time.

Not to mention a good way to put my pickup to some good use.

Until then though, I'm really envious of those that accrue paid-time-off in lieu of actual over-time.
Seems that would come in handy more often for my needs.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,782,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
10 hours one way is a long time to be driving, Such a waste of precious vacation hours!
Getting there is half the fun! More than once I've gotten sidetracked on the way to my vacation spot and ended up spending a couple of days somewhere before getting to where I'm going. It's not a vacation at all to me if you have to be on a schedule...

Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,782,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Feed my travel and hobo-skills all at the same time.

Now that's something that's on my bucket list! I want to hop a freight and go wherever it takes me with not a care in the world. I know a dude that when he goes on vacation he literally hops on a freight train and takes it to where he's going. I've been watching videos where people do this and you'll never see scenery so beautiful from a car or a plane. Maybe one day....

Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
Getting there is half the fun! More than once I've gotten sidetracked on the way to my vacation spot and ended up spending a couple of days somewhere before getting to where I'm going. It's not a vacation at all to me if you have to be on a schedule...
Isn't that the truth.
There's been a few times where my days off went how I wanted them to.
A day to get there, a few days to enjoy everything and get to the event I originally planned the entire trip around, and then a day to get back.

That's one reason I don't look at high altitude/high speed flights as part of any vacation.

That mode tends to make you feel like you're going out on some work-related, BS assignment and have to get back to the main office quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or