U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just endured a horrific southwest airline flight filled with screaming crying kids who would not shut up. All the mother did was "shhhh". Does that qualify as sufficient these days? What obligation do these parents have for the other passengers? Or do they? Should they leave the kids at home?
Nothing is worse than a bratty kid on a closed in situation, but sometimes to shut them up is easier said than done. One time we were flying home from London, on a day flight. there was a family with about 3 or 4 girls, the oldest about 14. She kept walking up and down the aisle with the younger one. Finally, I had had enough, we couldn't even watch the movie and I said, not in a very nice grandmotherly way, don't you 2 have a seat. That was the end of their walking back and forth. On the other hand, when you are dealing with an infant or even a toddler, it can be pretty hard, sometimes to quiet them down. I feel sorry for the parents. How embarrassing must it be? If they are over about 3, I can guarantee you, my kids would not have to be told more than once to quiet down.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM

14,190 posts, read 6,426,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Totally not the flight attendants job to take care of someone's kid. Again it comes down to parents actually parenting. Gee, what a concept.
Yes I know. If you read my initial post you would see that if the parents wouldn't do anything then I'd get an attendant.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM

11,636 posts, read 20,437,703 times
Quote:
You are talking about a 3-4 year old. Be a good mamma_bear and plan for ear problems with a cup with a straw to sip to "pop" the ear pressure. Bring things along to occupy and amuse your kids. Talk about what to expect during take off, landing, and turbulence in the weeks before the flight.

I have given a ton of actions that parents need to take, go back and read.
My kids don't cry on plance. They are adults/teens. They do talk on flights though. I don't see this as something I need to stop. If you need complete silence on a flight you have a problem.

Once a child is crying what do you think a parent can do to stop the crying? You have not answered that question. A coloring book will not stop a child from becoming uncomfortable on a flight and crying. Parents who have crying children do not want to make you miserable. They do not want their children to be miserable. I am sure they would stop the behavior if they could.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 AM

11,636 posts, read 20,437,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Don't know, maybe they're trained in that sort of thing.
There is no training that can cause an adult to magically quiet a very young child.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:48 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Quote:
There are many ways to travel with your kids that don't require disrupting 180 other people to do so.

I'll bet you don't fly much. I see it every week, mom and dad checked out, while the kids terrorize the plane. I don't have a problem with kids flying, I have a problem with idiot parents who don't prepare the kids for what to expect and come prepared to occupy them during the entire flight. Good parents don't take a break from parenting because they are on vacation. Unfortunately there aren't many good parents around these days.
Yep, I'm at the point where when I get to the gate and see little kiddos I just cringe and hope they are not seated by me
I've also been suprised when I've had behaved kids on the flights, but do have to agree the parent was involved with the kid during flight, not on their smartphone or laptop, book or magazine.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:57 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times
Quote:
Any kid who isn't an infant or very young toddler and can't be consoled in a matter of minutes either has a problem requiring a doctor or parents who don't know how to do their job. There's a huge difference between a three year old who cries for a few minutes during takeoff and a three year old who screams for 90 minutes straight.
I'm betting you don't have kids.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My kids don't cry on plance. They are adults/teens. They do talk on flights though. I don't see this as something I need to stop. If you need complete silence on a flight you have a problem.
Go back and read one of my earlier posts. I clearly stated that if the child was talking in an inside voice, that the OP needed to get over it.

Quote:
Once a child is crying what do you think a parent can do to stop the crying? You have not answered that question. A coloring book will not stop a child from becoming uncomfortable on a flight and crying. Parents who have crying children do not want to make you miserable. They do not want their children to be miserable. I am sure they would stop the behavior if they could.
It depends on why they are crying.

If they are bored, occupy them with something.
If they want to get up and run around, occupy them with something. It's amazing how a new toy can grab their attention and alleviate the need to run around.
If they are hungry, feed them.
If they are thirsty, give them a drink.
If they are scared, console them. (Proper advance planning and discussion does wonders to alleviate this)
If their ears hurt, give them something to suck on.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm betting you don't have kids.
Grown now, but yes, I'm a parent.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,495,880 times
Quote:
We're talking about pre-schoolers here. You don't give OTC decongestants to children unless a doctor tells you to. Lozenges are a choking hazard to kids that age, and breastfeeding isn't going to work either--with rare exceptions, kids that age are long weaned, and have to be fastened into their seat by their seatbelt.
No where in the OP does it state the age. It said "kids".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I sense a bit of exaggeration. A plane "full" of screaming kids, and one mother saying "shhh"? No father along to help?
Look at these stats... Births to unwed mothers...
Attached Thumbnails
Do parents have an obligation to quiet their kids on a plane?-screen-shot-2014-06-13-9.50.01  

Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,757,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why aren't kids allowed to talk? Being silent is not a requirement for being on a plane. I think you are just a teeny weeny bit unreasonable if you expect complete silence on your flight.
Yeah, some of the best conversations I've had have been on planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or