U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Grown now, but yes, I'm a parent.
Then your memory is apparently short. Sometimes kids are inconsolable. Anyone who suggests differently is kidding themselves. EVERY parent has experienced "I can't get him/her to stop crying, no matter what I try."

Old 06-18-2014, 11:56 AM

14,190 posts, read 6,426,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not put them on the plane to begin with.
Thank you! These parents are causing undue hardship to all those other passengers. Sorry, I have no sympathy whatsoever. That kid is being a burden & who asked for that? Plane tickets aren't cheap & I don't want to be exposed to some crying kid. Ever.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
If you are so opposed to Benadryl, try melatonin.
I don't think you're familiar with how melatonin works.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:22 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Really? I work in healthcare and most if not all pediatricians would agree with me. I call BS on your comment.

So sick of people thinking it's society's burden to deal with chaos..... Oooh, your a parent, how honorable! Yeah, the rest of the passengers should just turn a blind eye and smile in the mid of a red eye flight.

If you are so opposed to Benadryl, try melatonin. Regardless, check your child!
Maybe you should read my posts in this thread. I am not condoning allowing children to be little hellions--just the opposite. I also think it's a cop out to medicate a child for no reason, and I have never heard of a single pediatrician suggesting this for children while traveling.

Instead of medicating their kids, parents need to be parents and figure out how to keep them entertained and happy. Wow, what a thought...

Old 06-18-2014, 12:25 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Then your memory is apparently short. Sometimes kids are inconsolable. Anyone who suggests differently is kidding themselves. EVERY parent has experienced "I can't get him/her to stop crying, no matter what I try."
Sure, when he was six weeks old--an age I wouldn't take a child on a plane to begin with.

My goodness, by the time my child was six months, the only time he cried for longer than it took to feed him, change him, or console him was when he was sick--and I would never take a sick child on a plane.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,389,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not put them on the plane to begin with.
If a kid always throws temper tantrums, I agree - leave them at home. But even the most well-behaved child is prone to an occasional meltdown. You never know when it's going to happen.

Yes - it sucks for everyone and it is absolutely horrifying for a responsible parent.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
The older kids, no way. From the age of three, children have the cognitive development to know right from wrong and understand the behavior expected of them. If they don't, their parents have failed.
You can't assume that. Not all children reach the same developmental milestones at the same age. Not every child on a plane is going to be neurotypical and have the "standard" cognitive abilities. And frequently you'll have no way of knowing just by looking at them.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Sure, when he was six weeks old--an age I wouldn't take a child on a plane to begin with.

My goodness, by the time my child was six months, the only time he cried for longer than it took to feed him, change him, or console him was when he was sick--and I would never take a sick child on a plane.
Well then you apparently had the most perfect child that ever existed. The rest of the world isn't so lucky.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:33 PM

20,108 posts, read 11,152,482 times
Quote:

Sick or--when my kids were very young infants, when they were colicky. But we didn't try to travel when they were that young, and their colicky periods were very consistently timed.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,101,706 times
Man, I wish I'd thought to just leave my kid at home any time I needed to fly somewhere, least I possibly inconvenience someone else on the flight.

Since I don't have a live in nanny or even family to watch over my child, I guess my dog would do a fine job of caring for him in my absence.

Are people really so arrogant and dismissive of everyone else's circumstances that they think leaving a child at home is the answer to whether or not they should be brought on flights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or