U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-18-2014, 04:10 PM
 
2,520 posts, read 5,358,982 times
Reputation: 3502

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As I've said SEVERAL TIMES in this thread, if the child was talking using an inside voice, I don't see the problem and think the OP needs to get over it.
Excuse me for not reading 15 pages before posting a response to the OP. Please refrain from yelling at me!

 
Old 06-18-2014, 05:06 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Reputation: 16489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvodene View Post
Very simply, the child should not be on the aircraft.
Well unfortunately for you, that's not the way the world works. Children of all ages have just as much right to be on an aircraft as you do. If you don't like that, you can either create your own child-free airline, or you can just not fly. If you do have to fly, you're going to have to learn how to share the space with children who may at some point cry. As suggested before, you might want to take earplugs.
 
Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 PM
 
703 posts, read 691,334 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
LOL. Reminds me of a Russell Peters shtick:


Russell Peters - Beating Your Kids - YouTube

"White parents, you need to beat your kids so they can participate in the butt-whipping conversation with their non-white friends."

But I know he's really only talking about Northern white parents, because Southern white parents can go Third World on a kid's butt when they have to.



Now that reminds me of a Sinbad shstick:

"The difference between white parents and black parents is that white parents are afraid of their kids embarrassing them in public, while black kids are afraid of their parents embarrassing them in public."

But again, this is really a north/south difference, because southern white parents will embarass their kids in public too, when the situation calls for it.

Of course, this works mainly with teens, but it does help for every teen to know...don't push Mom too far, because she might just snap.



Lesson learned by the child: It's Mom's job to keep me constantly entertained.

It is possible for even a small child to learn to keep quiet and still, even while bored, even while uncomfortable. Kids have learned to do it for centuries...such as when there was a dangerous preditor or enemy just outside the tent.
Yeah, give them something, and they'll be fine (we hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
Those backwoods, NC morals worked for me and they worked for my kid. I could care less if it embarrasses her because she won't ever do it again. As for the other parents staring at me, let them stare all they want I could care less. That's what's wrong with the kids today, it's all spare the rod and spoil the child. Everything is given to them on a silver platter. Pathetic.....
It's not pathetic, it's progressive. I honor that fact that you think hard work (your silver platter reference) is key to living life well, but to me, that's a little 20th century, and I'm 21st century. Not only do I not believe in spanking, but I also believe that college should be paid for the child. I mean, you know that from my friends who worked in college (and also high school), and the ones who didn't, it made no difference when it came to getting a job that related to their job from skills acquired in college. Plus, college is already stressful enough, and then you want to pile a a part/full-time job on top of that? I'd never bring someone into the world to go through that. Some girls even degrade themselves to just to get a degree (stripping). Ugh-uh... Never going to happen with my family. I'll save my money before making choices like that. Honestly, I think parents just did that "hard work & college" thing because that was the time, in which individuals were transitioning into going to college after high school, and it was becoming an norm, but before that, the prior generation didn't have many individuals going to college, which made kids and go out there and work, but not because their parents didn't want to help if they could. We now have more education individuals, which should result in more help. Revive the American dream.
 
Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 PM
 
6,034 posts, read 13,128,384 times
Reputation: 6903
Yes. I absolutely feel that parents have not just an obligation, but a duty to do their best to keep their children quiet on a plane.

Having expressed that, I also feel that adults should behave better on planes, too.

OMG.

Example: Please don't spray yourself with perfume while sitting in your seat. Some of us really don't want to spend the next 3 or however many hours smelling like whatever nasty perfume you feel the need to douse yourself with. (And some of us have asthma/allergies.) Yes planes smell like a combination of bathroom odor, old food, sweat, baby diapers, and anxiety. Deal with it. Don't make it worse with your store-bought toxic stink, for goodness sakes.

I mean, really though - until the adults learn to behave, there's really no hope for their loud and unruly children.
 
Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 PM
 
Location: DALLAS COUNTY
509 posts, read 1,093,103 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yup, you help out and next thing you know, some psycho parent is saying you inappropriately touched their kid, or the kid pukes all over the suit that you are wearing to the important meeting as soon as you get off the plane, etc. Like I said, if you can't handle them, don't have them. I only had one for that very reason. It allowed me to be a better parent, as I was able to give and undivided attention to that child.
Your view of this type of situation is quite different from mine and that is fine. But it sure makes me sad that there seems to be so little compassion and understanding from many posters on this thread. It is no surprise, of course. But still saddens me.
 
Old 06-18-2014, 08:47 PM
 
2,441 posts, read 1,937,806 times
Reputation: 4644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
Your view of this type of situation is quite different from mine and that is fine. But it sure makes me sad that there seems to be so little compassion and understanding from many posters on this thread. It is no surprise, of course. But still saddens me.
I can tell you reading threads like this makes me feel better whenever my kids lose it in public. To know that the people judging me/them are like this lets me relax, totally ignore their judgement and parent well instead of trying to pander to misanthropes. It's quite reassuring. They're not thinking "she should be home for nap by now, no wonder that kid is losing it, why did she try and squeeze one more errand in", they're thinking "she should beat that child unconscious". Makes the tantrum positively enjoyable. I hope I'm next to one of these nasty posters next time my kids are jet lagged and the ipad battery is dead. I have been once, this woman was an utter cow from the moment we sat next to her. It was very amusing to make her suffer along with me.
 
Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 PM
 
703 posts, read 691,334 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I can tell you reading threads like this makes me feel better whenever my kids lose it in public. To know that the people judging me/them are like this lets me relax, totally ignore their judgement and parent well instead of trying to pander to misanthropes. It's quite reassuring. They're not thinking "she should be home for nap by now, no wonder that kid is losing it, why did she try and squeeze one more errand in", they're thinking "she should beat that child unconscious". Makes the tantrum positively enjoyable. I hope I'm next to one of these nasty posters next time my kids are jet lagged and the ipad battery is dead. I have been once, this woman was an utter cow from the moment we sat next to her. It was very amusing to make her suffer along with me.
This is a forum. Prepare for different opinions.
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:27 PM
 
Location: DALLAS COUNTY
509 posts, read 1,093,103 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
This is a forum. Prepare for different opinions.
Of course! That is why although my opinion is not popular on this thread, it still does not stop me from voicing it. Because, as you said, it is a forum and there will be different opinions. That's a good thing, right?
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 PM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,435,121 times
Reputation: 12165
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The majority of kids on planes do not need to be there.

That said, when we relocated, the first thing we did was to find and vet emergency child care. What would you have done if you had been in an accident and hospitalized?
The majority of adults don't need to be there either. What is your point? People (including children) have a right to do things they don't need to do.
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 PM
 
3,764 posts, read 3,500,911 times
Reputation: 8933
We fly halfway across the country twice a year so that our little one can be with her cousins and grandparents on the major holidays. Unfortunately, my work doesn't allow me to live close by to the grandparents, or of course we'd need to fly a lot less often. Now we're about to fly to Florida to see some other family. That's the way it is in this spread-out, mobile country of ours. Sorry if that doesn't meet the needs of those "grownups" who can't stand the sound or sight of children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top