U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No real good reason for them to be on the plane to begin with, with rare exception.
Other than the fact that they have just as much right to be on the plane as you do, whatever the reason.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Other than the fact that they have just as much right to be on the plane as you do, whatever the reason.
Just because someone has a legal right, does not mean they have the "right" socially.

Thankfully, our parents did not raise us with this mindset when we were children. We were certainly taught that we did not have the social right to disturb / bother / harass adults as we pleased.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We drove halfway across the country in the back of a station wagon when we were that age (MA to FL) when we had to do it (and no, our parents didn't take us to restaurants either until we were older).
We did that too, several times. We also rode around with scant or no seat belts on. Times have changed.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:10 AM

14,374 posts, read 7,916,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If someone's kid was crawling over me there would be a real problem. It is NOT my job to "pitch in and help." If you can't handle it, don't ahve kids or stay home, or hire someone to travel with you. Do not expect others to babysit your spawn.

Parents can do a lot of things to occupy their kids. it requires having more energy than the kids do. It requires forethought and bringing along things that will keep them occupied. I've seen numerous kids be completely content on long flights. I've seen others that were lucky they (and their parents) weren't tossed out the emergency exit in mid air. The difference was ALWAYS parents who came prepared and stayed engaged.

I totally understand. I have a friend that would be mortified by this as well. I happen to love kids and for me it was fun because I'm never really around babies much. It sure made a boring flight much more interesting. As for staying home it may not be an option. What if they're taking the kids with to visit a dieing grandparent? Sometimes life isn't always all about us and we have to share our space with intrusive people and their noise. It is what it is. Might as well try to find a way to make the best of it.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Sweet

Family traveling with infant twins hands out candy, ear plugs on plane | Fox News

Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,076,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
Those backwoods, NC morals worked for me and they worked for my kid. I could care less if it embarrasses her because she won't ever do it again. As for the other parents staring at me, let them stare all they want I could care less. That's what's wrong with the kids today, it's all spare the rod and spoil the child. Everything is given to them on a silver platter. Pathetic.....
I agree. I could give a rip if the child is embarrassed, I totally don't care, nor do I think I should care. After all, what about the child embarrassing the parent with their ill-tempered behavior? Do that, and you as the child have no right to complain when you're dealt with. A short way to put it--it isn't the parent's responsibility to not embarrass their child, it is the child's responsibility to not embarrass their parents, and yes, a 3-4 year old CAN be endowed with that responsibility.

What also matters to me is this--with respect to how one responds to a noisy child, I am interested in what works. Period. What supposedly "undermines their self esteem" or embarrasses them, I could care less. ALL I care about is what WORKS. If it works, do it. A child's "self esteem" bunch of bull is a luxury one can't afford when your child's bratty behavior is causing stress and grief for dozens of other innocent bystanders.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-19-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 AM

14,190 posts, read 6,424,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I agree. I could give a rip if the child is embarrassed, I totally don't care. The main thing that comes back to me is this--if you as the child don't want to be embarrassed, then don't ACT in a silly way or else you're bringing that embarrassment on yourself. A short way to put it--it isn't the parent's responsibility to not embarrass their child, it is the child's responsibility to not embarrass their parents, and yes, a 3-4 year old CAN be endowed with that responsibility.

What also matters to me is this--with respect to how one responds to a noisy child, I am interested in what works. Period. What supposedly "undermines their self esteem" or embarrasses them, I could care less. ALL I care about is what WORKS. If it works, do it. A child's "self esteem" bunch of bull is a luxury one can't afford when your child's bratty behavior is causing stress and grief for dozens of other innocent bystanders.
I agree. Parents are so soft nowadays it's ridiculous. Don't upset the child! Don't punish the child! Don't spank the child! We do time outs! Please. Be a parent, act like a parent & quit giving your kids so much free reign.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 AM

5,678 posts, read 8,592,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Young kids' ears pop rather painfully when planes descend. If that was the cause of the crying, there really isn't much that the parents could do about it.
They infact CAN, using earplanes (pressure sensitive ear plugs) prevents this from happening. Parents need to take responsibility for their children and research these kinds of things before hand, unfortunately most don't.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:20 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
One time we were flying home from London, on a day flight. there was a family with about 3 or 4 girls, the oldest about 14. She kept walking up and down the aisle with the younger one. Finally, I had had enough, we couldn't even watch the movie and I said, not in a very nice grandmotherly way, don't you 2 have a seat. That was the end of their walking back and forth.
Yes, if you had told my kids to sit down, I would have immediately instructed them to do so and fasten their seat belts.

(I assume that you were a member of the flight crew, right? Because if you were simply another passenger presuming to tell my kids that they can't do something they're allowed to do, I would have told you to MYOB, then walked with my kids for the rest of the flight.)

Old 06-19-2014, 11:22 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Thank you! These parents are causing undue hardship to all those other passengers. Sorry, I have no sympathy whatsoever. That kid is being a burden & who asked for that? Plane tickets aren't cheap & I don't want to be exposed to some crying kid. Ever.
Then I suggest you adopt the lifestyle of a reclusive shut-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or