Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 01:50 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've also never understood why people pay to fly their entire family to see their grandparents when it would likely be cheaper to fly their grandparents out to see the grandchildren instead. Of course I'm not saying this about grandparents who are in poor health.
And yet that's often the reason… In our case, recent flights happened after grandma got some serious cancer and begged us to bring her grand babies out, which helped her a lot. Everyone is entitled to their own feelings, but personal circumstances carry a lot more weight than some strangers' ideology that all children should be banned from all airplanes. Other passengers don't know our circumstances and it's not our duty to justify our reasons for being there. It is our desire to try to control our kids, and it seems like we do that ok most of the time, but probably not everyone who's ever shared a flight with us would agree.

Some people wish that all children would vanish. Other people wish that those people would vanish. People in between just wish that cynical people and inept parents would vanish. None of that is going to happen. So what are we even discussing?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Because people with lots of money have kids that don't cry?
Apparently it depends on if the money was obtained as a result of a hunting accident or not.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
And yet that's often the reason… In our case, recent flights happened after grandma got some serious cancer and begged us to bring her grand babies out, which helped her a lot. Everyone is entitled to their own feelings, but personal circumstances carry a lot more weight than some strangers' ideology that all children should be banned from all airplanes. Other passengers don't know our circumstances and it's not our duty or desire to justify our reasons for being there. It IS our desire to try to control our kids, and it seems like we do that ok most of the time, but probably not everyone who's ever shared a flight with us would agree.

Some people wish that all children would vanish. Other people wish that those people would vanish. People in between just wish that cynical people and inept parents would vanish. None of that is going to happen. So what are we even discussing?
I think this is my favorite post of the entire thread!

Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Wrong. When I fly I generally NEED to be there. It's called making a living. It's not a trip to Disney or a trip to visit the grandparents. If I wasn't on the plane, I wouldn't have a job. That is a need.
That's you. There are countless other adults on the plane who do not NEED to be there. Kids are people. They do stuff that other people do. I get it that kids can be annoying. They annoy me also. However, unless you are chartering a plane so that you can be totally insulated from the rest of humanity you need to deal with them. They have as much of a right to be there as you do.

Today on my flight I sat next to an adult who stunk to high heaven. She was extremely annoying. However, when you buy an airline ticket you take your chances regarding the other passengers. They all have as much of a right to be there as you do.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Give me a reason to "HAVE" to travel. Short of life saving surgery for the child, I'm not so sure there is a "have" as opposed to a "want."
True. My kids very rarely flew, but when they did, I told them ahead of time about the atmospheric pressure changes and how the pressure in their inner ears would need to adjust and that yawning can pop their ears by opening up the duct or chewing gum can do it, so they took it in stride but found it more interesting than anything else.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:07 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
That's you. There are countless other adults on the plane who do not NEED to be there. Kids are people. They do stuff that other people do. I get it that kids can be annoying. They annoy me also. However, unless you are chartering a plane so that you can be totally insulated from the rest of humanity you need to deal with them. They have as much of a right to be there as you do.

Today on my flight I sat next to an adult who stunk to high heaven. She was extremely annoying. However, when you buy an airline ticket you take your chances regarding the other passengers. They all have as much of a right to be there as you do.
YES! Let's enumerate some of the nasty stuff that adults pull, and then we can more fairly compare adults with children on planes. Here's a couple:

I was riding my regular route between PHX and Boston, and had a window seat on a full flight. Middle seat was occupied by a rather overweight person, aisle was a normal-ish person as I recall. Direct flight, nonstop, and 2-3 hours in, I needed to hit the lavatory. Said "excuse me" to the middle seat person. She flung up her hands as though imprecating to the heavens, why me lord? then got up. Sorry, gal; show up earlier and get a window seat next time (Southwest, no reserved seats).

Put my musical instrument in the overhead. A guy came on board, took a seat across the aisle, and attempted to fit his large roller bag up there, finally moving my instrument so that it was sticking out of the overhead which allowed him to fit his bag in. When I saw what he was doing, I rose, preparing to yank his bag out. An attendant fortunately happened over at that instant and said, "whose violin is this? It can't fit here" and I then told her, "That guy moved it for his bag" at which point she politely but firmly made him pull his bag out and put it farther back on the plane.

There are plenty of adult jerks in the world, and the contemptuous, haughty tone taken by some of these posters suggests that they would be pretty un-fun to be on a long flight with. Children are innocent. They may not behave ideally but they're not really expected to except by the narcissists who can't tolerate the slightest inconvenience. Those intolerant adults are the ones who make everyone miserable from day to day. Blaming the children for ruining an air flight is a deflection.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Children aren't always innocent. I wouldn't want to have to listen to my own kids screaming their heads off or running up and down the aisles squealing, so I can't imagine others would enjoy it either. Usually a little preparation goes a long way, but also discipline if the child is not an infant.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
We were flying from San Juan, PR to Philly. The row behind us had a broken seat so the guy who was supposed to sit in that seat was forced to move farther back in the plane. There was little boy sitting right behind me. He must have been about 2 or 3. As we were still on the ground, the kid started kicking my seat and I thought, "Oh great. Am I going to have to endure this all the way to Philly?" Then the kid started screaming. The flight attendant offered the kid a bunch of chocolate bars. I'm sure that guy had no experience with kids because nothing calms kids down like a bunch of SUGAR!!! But, the kid didn't want that. Then the flight attendant asked the woman who was sitting on the other side of the boy & his mother if she would change places with the father-who was the guy forced to move farther back. I'm sure any sane person would have said yes-mainly to get away from that screaming kid. The father came and sat down and the kid was still crying but the crying got softer & softer & softer & then NOTHING!!! That was followed by the ENTIRE plane breaking out in applause & the flight attendant took a bow. The little boy just wanted his daddy. That was it. And he did not kick my seat once the entire way to Philly.

Cat

Old 06-19-2014, 04:48 PM

703 posts, read 870,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes of course. I guess as far as I'm concerned anyway, we all know kids will act up for a variety of reasons and what ticks me off is the parents who make NO attempt what so ever to deal with and quiet their lil darlings.

Yes I realize sometimes you can't quiet an infant or toddler but make an attempt, rock them cuddle them, but when you have a 7 year old behind you constantly kicking your seat and parent is oblivious you want to turn around and swat them like you would a fly or gnat.

When I see a parent truly attempting, well then I'm not annoyed just sympathize with them
a parent not even attempting? lol that would be annoying, and sounds a bit narcissistic on the child's part.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Yes, and everywhere else in society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel